Pointers for 16 year old

Options
Advice please? Any pointers on what, if anything, is available to 16 years olds if they leave school?

Constant issue with son just now as he doesn't want to be at school but there doesn't seem to be much out there for him.

Careers Officer is very nice but not very helpful.

Son has no idea what he wants to do now but has decided he is sick of studying.

I'm worried sick about his future as I think he is throwing it down the pan. (This time last year he was talking University and Law Degrees!)

Do you get still get apprenticeships like you did years ago? What are the training schemes that are on the go these days? Would he be entitled to any benefits?

I have a headache. :(
Herman - MP for all! :)

Comments

• trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My youngest son felt the same way in his last year of school so I know how you feel,though he did eventually decide to give college a go,it wasn't for him and he didn't finish the 2 yr course but he was lucky enough to be taken on by a firm that supported his studies but he 'worked'.................he was happier with this as it meant he was earning and had independance to an extent ,though he still had to do one day a week at college

it was a compromise that worked for him

a good site for info is this one on modern apprentceships

connexions is also useful

hope that helps a little
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with trafalgar that a compromise may be needed. If he's still interested in a legal career maybe he should try phoning a few solicitors to see what qualifications he'd need to be taken on as an office boy (if they still have such things). If he finds A levels are minimum it might re-inspire him. And if he doesn't want to do that but still doesn't know what he wants to do, maybe you should show him job ads in the local paper to see what he'd be qualified to apply for after his GCSEs. That might motivate him, or at least maybe give him some ideas.

Plus 16 year olds do grow up, so don't despair, hang on in there!

(Good news is that when I checked with my almost 16 year old whether he wanted to stay on into 6th form or look for a job, he chose 6th form ... just as his big brother thought university was a better bet than getting a job! Just hope he thinks it was a wise choice in 3-4 years time!)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks both of you.

I checked out your links Traf.....(we don't have Connexions in Scotland but useful site for info nonetheless). Son says there's no point looking as you don't need help to get a job stacking shelves. Aaaarrgghhh!

Don't think he wants to go down the legal road anymore Savvy_Sue....he just doesn't know what he wants now. He's just so fed up of school that ANYTHING that involves learning in anyway is a no-no in his eyes. (I'm assuming this is a bolshy teenage phase that will pass quickly and common sense will return otherwise our household will not be a peaceful one.)

He's already done his GCSEs last term...he started A level courses in August (5th year....is that the equivalent to your 6th form???) It was his decision to stay on at school and was happy to do so. 3 months in and he's sick of it and wants to leave. I think he's finding the work tough and rather than trying to find a way to deal with it, he just wants to take the easy way out. His Guidance teacher has been very good and has tried to help but son is a hard person to help sometimes. :rolleyes:

He did his work experience in a Solicitor's office last term and liked it, but has no inclination to go back now. :confused:

I sent him off to the job centre to see the type of things that were available (practically nothing for his age/experience...) so he should have his eyes open but all we got when he came back, was a shrug of his shoulders.

I'm trying to find stuff out so I can show him what the options are but it seems as though there is very little.

I've had a look on the benefits websites too and if I'm understanding correctly, then your average 16 and 17 year old can't even claim Jobseekers Allowance and they can't get Income Support as they are technically able to work. So that means no assistance until 18.

Can someone confirm I have that right before I talk to son again? (Don't get me wrong....I don't want him on benefits, I just want to cover all avenues for 'our talk'.)

It's very hard trying to support an unmotivated teenager when all you really want to do is slap them! ;):D
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    Options
    Its true that he wont be able to claim any benefits until he is 18, but please dont panic too much about what he will do after school!!

I myself went through the bolshy phase and was working full time before id even finished my GCSE's. At 19 I decided I wanted to go to Uni and spent 2 years catching up by doing the Open University, and went on to regular uni at 21 (to study law). At the end of the day - what matters most is that he finds something that he will enjoy otherwise he may as well be stacking shelves in a supermarket in as far as enjoyment goes.

He has loads of options - work, work based training, or further education. He needs to find something to inspire him, which im sure he will figure out in time. After all, he is only 16 and asking him to make a decision about something is bound to be adding pressure - he's got many years ahead of him and its never to late to do a lot of things!!

Failing that, stick him in the army - that'll wipe the strop off his face!!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • aliasojo
    Options
    jw1096 wrote:
    He needs to find something to inspire him.....

Never a truer word has been said!

As for the Army thing......I think he'd rather become a Monk. He's not good with people who shout at him. :rotfl:
  • rumpelstiltskin_2
    Options
    aliasojo-You may find that a few weeks of him being bored at stacking shelves is enough to inspire him.

Having said that many younger people go into retail management from the shop floor.

Best wishes
    Filiss
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    aliasojo wrote:

I checked out your links Traf.....(we don't have Connexions in Scotland but useful site for info nonetheless). D

Not sure where you get that from...http://www.connexions.gov.uk/partnerships/index.cfm?CategoryID=4&RegionID=SC
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • aliasojo
    Options
    ohreally wrote:

Ah, that's technically not the same thing though. I read this on the Connexions page:

Connexions Facts

a.gifWhat is it?

a.gif
    Connexions is the government's support service for all young people aged 13 to 19 in England.

Scotland has Career's Scotland which as you see is a 'partnership' of Connexions. It's similar but not the same thing. :) We've already been involved with them, not overly successful in son's case.

Appreciate the link though, thanks for helping. :)
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    does he ask you for money.... to go out...?

if he does say no..... he might go and find a job then.

it is difficult not knowing what they want to do, my eldest is in her GCSE exam year, she wants to go to 6th form, but doenst know what career she wants, so cant decide on which courses to apply for..... and also wants to go out, but her money doesnt run far enough (where i have heard that before)
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • aliasojo
    Options
    Actually robnye...he doesn't. He's very self-sufficient I'm happy to say.

He works at the weekend and has his own cash. In fact if I'm honest, I've spent very little on him since he turned 13 and was legally able to work. He buys his own clothes/toiletries/phone top-ups etc.

He had two paper rounds and a weekend restaurant job at one point so he's not afraid of hard work...I think he's just hit a bad patch right now.

I'm praying he will be hit by a bolt of inspiration or motivation or some other 'tion'. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport