Cheapest iPhone discussion

Comments

• llyamah
    llyamah Posts: 255 Forumite
    My current o2 contract ends in September, but I am already thinking ahead and want to buy an iPhone. I am hoping that the iPhone 5 will be out by then, but I am trying to work out my options based on what is out there at the moment.

Through my employer, I could get a voucher up to £450 to spend on a phone; this would be through salary sacrifice – I’d have to pay it back monthly but the benefit is free from tax and national insurance, so at a rough guess I think the £450 voucher will only cost me £335 over the course of the year. I would have to make up the difference. The thing is, I can only spend the voucher with Carphonewarehouse or Vodafone. As far as I can tell CPW do not sell iPhones sim-free. If I bought it on o2, would I be able to use a giffgaff sim in it? The deals look pretty good.

Do the people of the forum think this would be a good way to go about buying the iPhone – buying the phone separately then sorting out a sim only package – or could I get a better deal by buying the phone on a contract too?

This brings me on to my next question. What mobile network would be good for the iPhone? Looking around at the forum, it seems that some people do not find o2’s (and therefore giffgaff’s) internet very good. Three have some good deals, but I’ve not heard good things about their coverage; I live in London, so shouldn’t have many problems on the whole, but I do go back to my Mum’s house which is in a slightly rural location. Three’s coverage map seems to suggest that they would only have ‘outdoor coverage’ at my Mum’s.

Apologies for the long post. Any insight would be much appreciated.
  • blueybug
    blueybug Posts: 234 Forumite
    Looking for a unlocked iphone, Whats the best deal at the mo?
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anyone know of the best deal on an iphone handset, no contract. I have lost my iphone 3GS and my home insurance are sending me a cheque. I'm tied to my SIM only contract with Vodafone until the end of Sept. I think Carphone Warehouse is £359 instore, anyone seen better than this please?

I do need it kind of quick as I shouldn't be without a phone when I am working.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • llyamah wrote: »
    As far as I can tell CPW do not sell iPhones sim-free.
    Hubby went into cpw and said they did when he came out (but he doesnt necessarily know what that means) but CHELL above seems to think they do too
  • Chimpofdoom
    Chimpofdoom Posts: 806 Forumite
    Chell wrote: »
    Anyone know of the best deal on an iphone handset, no contract. I have lost my iphone 3GS and my home insurance are sending me a cheque. I'm tied to my SIM only contract with Vodafone until the end of Sept. I think Carphone Warehouse is £359 instore, anyone seen better than this please?

want a new one buy a payg iphone, otherwise you could try ebay
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • Topper1900
    Topper1900 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Chell wrote: »

Have you tried Vodafone direct as you may get a good deal if it is to replace a lost iphone? Mine you with just over a month to go on on your Vodafone deal to go you may get a far better deal just getting a new 12 or 24 month contract, perhaps Vodafone may help with that as well?
  • just bought from tesco direct PAYG 6 months int. free supposed to be on last statement wasnt there. 1st phone call (will get it amended) second phonecall no sign of amendment, put thru to BNPL no luck, after me hassle, oops yes your right will be on next statement. beware of this scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jetfighter
    jetfighter Posts: 249
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    What do you guys think about this deal?

http://!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/three-apple-iphone-4-16gb-black.html

iPhone 4 (FREE handset) with £30/month contract for 300 mins, 5000 texts and 500MB data

Sounds too good to be true... is it? :o

Edit: Umm. I tried pasting the link - it was to Mobiles.co.uk - but it took it out of my post for some reason?!
  • llyamah
    llyamah Posts: 255 Forumite
    just bought from tesco direct PAYG 6 months int. free supposed to be on last statement wasnt there. 1st phone call (will get it amended) second phonecall no sign of amendment, put thru to BNPL no luck, after me hassle, oops yes your right will be on next statement. beware of this scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about re-writing that in English?
  • Jetfighter....dunno but its 3
    which 9 out of 10 posters seem to want to avoid at all costs.

link?
    cant post it either and cant follow yours

re steve the chef....Be kind, he joined a year ago and thats his first post, must've been a long time doing it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure