PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• amethystcash
    Options
    Its been a while since I posted, but we have been continuing with our MS mission and I wanted to give you my final totals for my July grocery challenge, which finished yesterday. Totals below include meals out, takeaways and non-food stuff, as well as diesel and cash spent.

Week 1 £37.53 over
    Week 2 £8.79 over
    Week 3 £61.27 under
    Week 4 £68.46 over (we will get £50 of this back)

Total £53.51 over budget of £870 (£310 groceries, £400 diesel and £160 cash) for the whole month with 15 no-spend days.

We also set ourselves another challenge in July to save £300 on what we would normally spend on this each month (£1,200) on groceries, household expenses, cash and diesel, as well as clothes, stuff for the house, DIY and gardening and going out. Happy to say that we saved £276.49 overall which was a nice boost for our savings fund. So although we did go over our new budget, compared to what we usually spend in a month think we did pretty well!

I was also doing the earn extra cash challenge but have abandoned that in favour of concentrating on the not spending as much challenge.

Not sure how well we will keep up the momentum in August as we are on hols for 3 weeks, but will keep you posted.
    MFW Challenge (Tgt Date Nov 07): ACHIEVED FEB 07!
    Mthly Savings (Tgt 60% of Inc): Average 41.67% (but we have just paid for a new kitchen!)
    Savings Goal £500k (Target Date 50th B'Day Nov 17): 30.41%
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Just back from blackberrying... and stopping off at the NAFFI on the way back :D

There weren't as many blackberries ready as we hoped... but still got enough to do the blackberry grater bake i wanted to have a go at...so i will probably do that tomorrow. We will be going back next weekend to get as many of the others that are ready ;) -there were loads on..so fingers crossed :D

In the NAFFI i spent another €9.50... but i got:-

7 packs of sliced green beans @30c should have been €1.99 each :eek:
    2 packs sliced roast beef @€1 -should be €3.29
    2 punnets nectarines @ €1 instead of €2.99 each
    500g grapes @ 50c instead of €2.50
    2 x 300ml tubs longley jersey double cream @ 50c instead of €1.89
    5 big red peppers for €1.10..

So i "saved" €26.86 ..and thats not including the peppers as they weren't weighed so i don't know how much i saved there:p

The beans, beef and cream are getting dropped in the freezer and im going to roast 4 of the peppers off with lots of the tomatoes and a chilli from the garden and freeze for pasta dishes......and as for the fruit...mmmm, well -lets just say it won't make it to monday :o :rotfl:

I have a loaf of bread under way.... and its salad, steamed potatoes and various cheeses for lunch....
    Not sure about dinner yet...im sure if i check my meal plan it would help:D

So my spends are up to €76.55 out of my €100 and i only have 9 days left -so no problem there :j .... just have to try and get my latest bargains in the freezer now :eek:
    Have a great day everyone..off to update my signature, re-jigg the freezer and then x stitch :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    having an NSD today....mind you, got no choice as i only have a couple of pounds to last me till Mon!:rolleyes:

was not a happy bunny earlier :mad: i rang Mr T last night to ask them to save me a massive box ( for Ruby to have the pups in), and they said i could pick it up this morning...rang 'em at 8am to check they had it before i set off, as its a mile and a half walk there, then back again. got there only to find someone had destroyed it in the hour it took me to get there :mad: god, my blood was boiling!!

Came home (knackered!) and made some seedy buns cos i'd had the BM on whilst i was out, to do the dough....at least they've come out lovely! and i've got a huge pot of veg soup cooking on the hob at the mo. all the housework's done, dogs have had their first walk, so apart from tidying the garden up a bit, and walking the dogs again later on, the rest of the day's mine....think i might join you Mrs Mc with the x-stitching :D

hope all's well with everyone else, and (((hugs))) to kaat lady hope everythings ok with archie at the mo xx
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    archie.jpg
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• catnap53
    catnap53 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kaat Lady, so sorry for you, its over a year since I lost my last one, and still feel it.
  • galadriel
    galadriel Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Gillaman, congrats on a NSD on weds! I just wanted to say I absolutely adore Yankee candles and watch the shows on QVC avidly. My darling OH bought me a present of several small sampler candles so I could try new smells and they are fab! The scent is really rich and they burn very slowly so I think they are worth the extra few pennies. Was given a jar candle last year and burnt it all over christmas and thru jan and feb, it never seemed to burn down!

Diva.x

Another Yankee Candle fan here. I like the tarts. A kiosk selling them has just opened in our town centre but I haven't dared look yet. I like the cinammony/foody smelling ones best. I tend to buy some when the new Christmas scents come out and make them last all year. There is also a garden centre nearby which sells them. A couple of year ago I got carried away buying them on ebay and spent a fortune .
  • gillaman
    gillaman Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Diva - thanks for the info on Yankee candles. I was planning to look at the QVC show but will check if it's cheaper to shop at the garden centre (no delivery charge). Today is a chill out day after having dgs2 to stay so will burn one of my candles tonight (I think they're floaters but I'll just set one on a saucer).

Back to GC - possible NSD today. Now out of potatoes after family dinner last night so may pop to Mr A today or tomorrow. However, I sat down this morning with my cook books and worked out a list of meals. Came up with about 30, have ingredients in for about 16 to last til end August, but will need f&v and milk. I'll plan next shopping list around the 30 for September's challenge.
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • galadriel
    galadriel Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    :grouphug: sorry to hear your sad news Kaat lady.
  • SavvyStudent_2
    Options
    Poor little archie :( Hope you are ok Kaat_lady. At least he's no longer suffering x
  • Coolmum66
    Coolmum66 Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all

Yay - have finally, finally managed to catch up on all the posts for this thread!!!

Can't remember who had the burnt saucepan - but - cover the burnt bits with cheap coke and boil it. Sounds mad but it really does work!!!!

Big hugs to all who need them, and congrats to all who have done well or had good news.

Ok - so went shopping yesterday - spent £39.57 - this brings my monthly total to £130.18 out of £250 - am quietly confident (please don't let me jinx it now!!!) Should have enough money left in the bank (and hidden jar) to clear my little credit card this month. Big thanks to all on here - although I'm still a newbie I have maanged to spend less than I had been.

Need a bit a advice - am wanting to grow veggies - but have I left it too late for this year? Am looking at basics like potatoes, cabbage, carrots, and some salady bits. Not sure how I do this - so any advice appreciated. BTW am not green fingered - killed a cactus once!!!!!!!!!!!

Right - off into town to tax the car (saved po stamps each week so already paid for!)

Hope you all have a good day - take care

Coolmum xxx
    Debt at 2nd LBM (!) Jun 08 £8,435 - hm, let's not go there!!
    DFW Nerd - 721 / DFW Long Hauler 4 / DFD - ASAP!!
    Sealed pot challenge - member 336 - £200 target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport