PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pizza Dough Recipes , Tips and Quick Questions

Options

Comments

• lambanana
    lambanana Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    pizza was good...even though when I took it out it slid off the tray...fortunately our oven has a drop down door which caught it (don't worry, I only cleaned it the day before and hadn't cooked in there in between!) none of us are dead yet :)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • mossstar
    mossstar Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HM pizza is one of the meals we have on the days that i work (3 days a week). The night before I make the dough (in the bm, but before I had one i did it by hand) and take out the sauce and moz from the freezer.

I stick them all in the fridge that night - the dough in a bowl with a coating of olive oil.

When I get home the next day after work all i have to do is take everything out of the fridge, roll out the dough, slop it all on top with whatever else is lurking in the fridge and pop it in the oven!

I always make too much dough so either roll them into tiny balls for garlic dough balls or just bake a long loaf which we tear into bits and dip into garlic butter - heaven!! it's a good job for our health that we only have this about 3 times a month!!

Steph x
  • heather38
    heather38 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    go on i have searched but can't find a recipe for pizza bases with out a BM.
    can anyone point me in the right direction.
  • Tam_Lin
    Tam_Lin Posts: 825 Forumite
    Options
    I use this one:

3 tablespoon oil
    400g plain flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 sachet yeast, mixed with 1/4 pint warm water.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add the warm water slowly, and keep mixing, adding more warm water if required. Put it on a floured surface and knead it for a few minutes. Put it inside a lightly oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm, and put in a warm place for an hour or until risen. After that, knead it again and roll out on floured surface.

Put it on a baking tray and then put on tomato puree, and toppings, and stick in the oven.
    Nelly's other Mr. Hyde
  • badgermonkey
    badgermonkey Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Now, this is not altogther OS but I have tried making pizza bases by hand and they were always really bland. I used all different recipes, and none of them really hit the mark. Now I use those little bags of bread mix (sun-dried tomato and parmesan is v. v. nice) - they're only 60pish and you can get three massive pizzas out of them.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You have a great recipe there, and thanks for the tip about bread mix - I'll try that.

Couple of tips - I roll my pizza bases on polenta. It helps them crisp up. When all the toppings are on, I brush the crust with olive oil, which gives it a lovely flavour.

My pizzas sometimes have *soggy bottoms*. Anyone use a pizza stone, or other dish specially designed for that? Any comments before I indulge?

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Ruby_Pudding Posts: 897 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another good tip is to use a flavoured oil. I use either garlic infused or basil infused olive oil when making a pizza base and it really, really makes it so much tastier.
  • cat4772
    cat4772 Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Options
    I think I'll be making pizza at the weekend! Thanks for the info.
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    :onever attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    :othe thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make my own pizza dough and freeze it. I make it up as normal, give it one rising and then divide it up and freeze it in freezer bags. To defrost it, I normally take it out of the freezer in and leave it in the fridge all day, then I normally take it out about an hour before I want to make the pizzas, let it warm up a bit, then roll it out and leave it for a few more minutes to bubble up a bit. Then top and bake as usual :)

I made some really yummy dough the other day with crushed garlic and mixed herbs in it - I rolled it out like a pizza and topped it with some homemade garlic butter ... it was very yummy!
  • hot.chick
    hot.chick Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a pizza base mix that you can make without using yeast?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure