edited 14 June 2010 at 3:32PM in Phones & TV
1.1K replies 372.6K views

Replies

• Victor_DeltaVictor_Delta Forumite
    448 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    zoebel wrote: »
    Also requested a manager over the phone on Friday but "none were available". One was supposed to call me back that day - I am still waiting.
    I'd be tempted to raise your complaint with the man at the top. If you Google 'CEO email' you'll find a website that lists the CEO's name and email address.

It will probably be passed on to someone in his office to sort out, but at least you'll see things move!
  • zoebelzoebel Forumite
    63 Posts
    Thanks Victor_Delta,

Actually copying and pasting yours and my posts from this site into an email to them seemed to generate a rapid response (funnily enough!)
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Looking currently at an elderly relative's phone options.

BT are looking for a yearly £159.84 (£13.32 pm) Line Rental Saver - a lot cheaper than paying monthly. For that she's currently getting inclusive evening and weekend calls (not sure why the evening calls are included - possibly a 'deal' agreed last year).

Switching to the Post Office would cost £120 line rental for the year (£10 pm) with another £1.25 pm for evening/weekend calls. Free caller display, too (£1.75 pm with BT unless you agree to a 12 month contract).

So the Post Office option looks to be around £2 pm cheaper, plus £25 cashback they're offering.

Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated. :)
  • poorbabepoorbabe Forumite
    894 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Funnily enough I was looking to move to the Post Office for my landline but Sky offered me a better deal for the next 12 months.

This sounds like a good deal for your relative, but I would also check out what their customer service is like if things go wrong.

Good luck.

Doc_N wrote: »
    Looking currently at an elderly relative's phone options.

BT are looking for a yearly £159.84 (£13.32 pm) Line Rental Saver - a lot cheaper than paying monthly. For that she's currently getting inclusive evening and weekend calls (not sure why the evening calls are included - possibly a 'deal' agreed last year).

Switching to the Post Office would cost £120 line rental for the year (£10 pm) with another £1.25 pm for evening/weekend calls. Free caller display, too (£1.75 pm with BT unless you agree to a 12 month contract).

So the Post Office option looks to be around £2 pm cheaper, plus £25 cashback they're offering.

Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated. :)
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    poorbabe wrote: »
    Funnily enough I was looking to move to the Post Office for my landline but Sky offered me a better deal for the next 12 months.

This sounds like a good deal for your relative, but I would also check out what their customer service is like if things go wrong.

Good luck.

Thanks. Final deal done was:

£159.84 (£13.32 pm) Line Rental Saver
    Inclusive evening and weekend calls
    Free caller display
    £3pm for anytime inclusive calls offered but not taken

Post Office would have been cheaper, but she's reluctant (God knows why) to switch from BT. Must be an age thing!
  • Steve_MacSteve_Mac Forumite
    15 Posts
    At the moment, my Mother-in-Law has her phone with Southern Electric (who she has her electric & gas with too), on their 'Talk Anytime' package, and I'm trying to get her a better deal.

According to the Southern Electric website (included in the link below), the 'Talk Anytime' package costs £5.99, plus £14.49 line rental, whereas in her contract booklet the package price is shown as £16.99 (which doesn't say if it includes line rental), and on another page line rental charge is stated as £11.75 (doesn't say whether any of these costs include VAT or not). Wearing my cynical hat, it would seem like it is designed to confuse so you can't pinpoint exactly what you are meant to be paying.

I've looked at her last bill (November '13 to February '14), which is not the easiest thing to get your head around, the package came to £52.18, plus £7.64 for caller ID, plus £10.73 call charges. Add VAT to that lot and the total is £84.66 for three months. Average monthly charge works out to £28.22.

The only call charges that appear on her bill are to mobiles or premium rate numbers (she does a bit of telly-shopping), and none of the 'included' calls are itemised, which makes it all really hard to compare like-for-like, when trying to work out how much she can save.

Also trying to work out what sort of package would suit her phone usage. She is retired and home most days, so cheaper evening and weekend calls aren't exactly beneficial. She only really calls my wife (her daughter) and her mother, both at least once a day, both on landlines.

I'm just trying to lay out all the information, so I can get a clearer picture of what she needs and can save. I'm edging towards the Post Office Home Phone package. Anyone got any better ideas?

Southern Electric Packages:
    http://www.southern-electric.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CoreMarketingSites/Assets/Documents/TalkAndBroadbandPriceTableFebruary2013.pdf
  • thelofttheloft Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    I have a similar deal with SKY, which is cheaper than that. This only works if you are getting SKY TV as well. But I believe The Post Office is currently the best deal for line rental and calls package. Line rental is often cheaper if you a pay a year in advance. I would not touch Primus.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • webnisewebnise Forumite
    76 Posts
    Co Op Phones has a £12.50 monthly rental or £120 upfront with free calls on evening/weekend so it seems to be cheaper than PO.

http://www.thephone.coop/home/phone-only/#/rental_charges
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    webnise wrote: »
    Co Op Phones has a £12.50 monthly rental or £120 upfront with free calls on evening/weekend so it seems to be cheaper than PO.

http://www.thephone.coop/home/phone-only/#/rental_charges
    No free calls included
  • edited 24 June 2014 at 4:02PM
    webnisewebnise Forumite
    76 Posts
    edited 24 June 2014 at 4:02PM
    Quentin wrote: »
    No free calls included

It is confusing !

It is written on the website:

*Inclusive 01, 02,03, 0845 and 0870 and Phone Co-op mobile calls on the Evening and Weekend and Anytime tariffs are free for the first 60 minutes.

Tariff list also shows ZERO : http://www.thephone.coop/media/17242/residential_rates.pdf

Or Am I looking at wrong thing then?