Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

edited 14 June 2010 at 3:32PM in Phones & TV
1.1K replies 372.6K views

Replies

• theloft wrote: »
    The problem is for most of us that we need the home phone for a Broadband connection. Your only bet is to check around to see who offers the best deal., but the only way to reduce line rental is to pay up front, that is unless you are prepared to go to a company like Primus who get such bad reviews on this forum. I was with them once but never again.

I noted the OP mentioned Virgin BB? If you are with Virgin, you can get BB without paying line rental, and as pointed out, you can then get Vonage which plugs in to the router and make calls just like a BT home phone. You can also get your BT number ported over, and get all the extras you'd have to pay for on BT. And of course you get their new smartphone app (which you can also use abroad instead of roaming). Seems like a win win to me.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    All the Virgin offers I've seen (I live in a cabled area) seem to make the BB + LL deal cost same or less than pure BB.
  • thelofttheloft Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    smartphone wrote: »
    If you are with Virgin, you can get BB without paying line rental.
    Only those in Virgin's fibre optic areas I believe. When I enter my postcode I get "Sorry, you are not in a Virgin Media area" so I cannot even received their standard BB.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • minislimminislim Forumite
    355 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Oh dear talk talk. Last week I saw your deal for broadband at £2.50 per month. Looked great. Till this week. £30 switching charge! Nah no thanks.
  • edited 19 December 2013 at 4:55AM
    YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    edited 19 December 2013 at 4:55AM
    smartphone wrote: »
    I noted the OP mentioned Virgin BB? If you are with Virgin, you can get BB without paying line rental, and as pointed out, you can then get Vonage which plugs in to the router and make calls just like a BT home phone. You can also get your BT number ported over, and get all the extras you'd have to pay for on BT. And of course you get their new smartphone app (which you can also use abroad instead of roaming). Seems like a win win to me.

As discussed on here many times before . You can only get Broadband Only in a Virgin Media Cable Area, and you save little or nothing by not taking the VM Line Rental and inclusive weekend calls.Used in conjunction with 18185 Freephone number you can get cheaper weekday 01/02/03 ,0845/0870 Mobile And Intl calls if required. http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php

If you have a smart phone not everybody has.
    You can use VM own Smartphone App to use your inclusive minutes etc,
    http://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/smartcall/overview.html
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    buglawton wrote: »
    Get a mobile phone, pay as you go with Three calls 1p/min to standard landlines.

Do you mean 3p a minute or are you on an old tariff ?
  • edited 19 December 2013 at 5:16AM
    YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    edited 19 December 2013 at 5:16AM
    lillie_put wrote: »
    hi
    can anybody help me
    I am with BT had phone bill today £75.19 but the calls were only £10

How is the £75 broken down then. £75 less £10 = £65 BT quarterly line rental over £21 a month which is nothing like what BT charge for straight line rental.
  • PhaetonPhaeton Forumite
    19 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE_Becca wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

If you're having any issues with your Primus account or service, please

This email will go to MSE and Primus, and Primus will reply to you as soon as possible.

Many thanks,
    MSE Becca

Becca,

Just emailed the address, I'll see if I get a response, how do they stay in business, I moved to them in August (Stupid Mistake) so far the have not managed once to get my invoice correct, they are charging for services I don't have (Voicemail) then refund them the next month only to invoice me twice for the service the following month.

Regards

Alan...
  • pjajpjaj Forumite
    117 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You have to be lucky and have a cable or fiber connection that does not require a land line, but then you can use Vonage and pay only £6 per month for all UK geographic numbers with no line rental. For £10 per month (£120 per year up front) you get 250 minutes of calls to mobiles per month as well.
    The best known is, of course, Virgin, but keep an eye open for Gigaclear, they may be coming to your area and they offer nearly 1Gb up and down load speeds totally unrestricted (other than legal use - no spamming etc). Probably the fastest FTTP service in the world.
    Sent from my abacus.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ypaymore wrote: »
    Do you mean 3p a minute or are you on an old tariff ?

You are correct, Three 321 is 3p/min for calls to any landline or mobile in UK, it's 1p/MB for mobile data.