edited 14 June 2010 at 3:32PM in Phones & TV
1.1K replies 372.6K views

Replies

• edited 29 August 2014 at 6:17PM
    jhpjhp Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    edited 29 August 2014 at 6:17PM
    steve_2012 wrote: »
    ive looked at the post office and it would be £120 upfront for line rental and £69.00 for anytime.
    total £189.00.

Worth considering https://www.phone.coop . Excellent customer service apparently.

£120 upfront line rental. £59.40 anytime calls.
  • Hi there
    Does anyone know of a cheap phone call provider which can be accessed by a box which plugs into the phone wallsocket. There used to be a few providers who did this a few years ago, but now I can't find any
    thanks
    Amber
  • Pete_and_MargPete_and_Marg Forumite
    6 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We're currently with the Post Office, highlighted in this article as one of the good value providers - but we've been notified that their prices are going up.

From 5th January 2015 monthly line rental (including weekend calls) will go up from £13 to £15, and the annual up-front package (Line Rental Saver) from £120 to £144. Daytime call rates and the evening/ weekend calls package also go up.
  • We're currently with the Post Office, highlighted in this article as one of the good value providers - but we've been notified that their prices are going up.

Yes you must have missed this.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5118763
  • edited 27 November 2014 at 1:36PM
    oldharryrocksoldharryrocks Forumite
    533 Posts
    edited 27 November 2014 at 1:36PM
    Amberguard wrote: »
    Hi there
    Does anyone know of a cheap phone call provider which can be accessed by a box which plugs into the phone wallsocket. There used to be a few providers who did this a few years ago, but now I can't find any
    thanks
    Amber

Smart Boxes. Least Call Routing Boxes. Tend to be a thing of the past. Best bet if you havent already got one, get a phone you can programme the short code or the freephone/geographical access number into depending on your supplier.Then press it before call.

Eg: 18185 http://www.18185.co.uk/index2.php

Or for networks that dont allow indirect access use in this case a Freephone 0808 number.http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php

Or if you have an old unlocked mobile and you dont make a lot of 01/02 peak calls or you want cheap intl calls. Get a payg sim from someone like https://www.delightmobile.co.uk who now charge 3p a minute to call UK 01/02/03 numbers or UK Mobiles no connection fee, no rental, just payg.Very competive Intl Rates.Better still If the other party also has one of their sims benefit from free calls or texts. Runs over EE Vectophone sister company.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    For anyone considering Post Office HomePhone, you'll get a better deal if you sign up over the phone.

Over the phone you'll get 3 months' free line rental - that doesn't seem to be available online.

And if you sign up for Line Rental Saver by 4 January, the monthly line rental will work out at just £12.
  • markja_2markja_2 Forumite
    23 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have just renewed my BT line rental saver by telephone as I was unable to do so online. The online form does not allow me to complete the order without agreeing to move CPS provider back to BT. The tel operator appears to be able to take the order without changing my non-BT CPS provider. How painful.

My real question now... I have always used overrride providers (e.g. 18185 ) I confirmed with the operator taking my order that this was still permissable. She didn't really have a clue but confirmed that if I could do so now then it would remain possible in the future.

But then I received an email after the order was placed which included these words:

"Your plan excludes calls to dial-up internet and indirect access numbers. Indirect access numbers are numbers you might call to get a lower rate - you call them first, then they connect you."

I have posted this in the BTCare Forums but wondering anyone has any wisdom here?

Mark James
  • All it means is that the indirect access numbers (e.g. 0844x) are excluded from bundled 'free' minutes and you pay the going rate for those indirect numbers. 18185 is free to call...
  • markja wrote: »
    I have just renewed my BT line rental saver by telephone as I was unable to do so online. The online form does not allow me to complete the order without agreeing to move CPS provider back to BT. The tel operator appears to be able to take the order without changing my non-BT CPS provider. How painful.
    I have exactly this same problem with BT every year and usually the operator doesn't know they can do it and has to seek advice when I insist it is possible.
    I wish they could just make it possible on-line so one didn't have to go through all the palaver.
  • markja_2markja_2 Forumite
    23 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks to both buglawton and victor_delta for your replies. Most helpful.