Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

edited 14 June 2010 at 3:32PM in Phones & TV
1.1K replies 372.6K views

Replies

• steve_2012steve_2012 Forumite
    182 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    just received mine a my fathers phone bills from talktalk.
    we had heaps of hassle with his contract and were told many untruths on more than occasion, both these contracts started oct 1st.
    the bills arrived with a £2.50 added to the anytime calls package
    i phoned and asked to cancel his contract and was put through to retentions, after having my say they credited both mine and fathers accounts with £25 10mths @ £2.50.
    they had said they had sent "everyone" an email telling of the increase and that you had "i think" 28 days to cancel your contract.
    they checked both our emails and found we were never sent one "how strange", anyway there would have been no get out or credit if they find they have sent you an email, i now keep every billing email due too the untruths i get told by many companies.
    what is it with these firms that just think they can stick what they like onto contracts as and when they feel like it, makes my blood boil.
  • allfreyallfrey Forumite
    30 Posts
    Forumite
    [FONT=&quot]I have been using Primus (now Fuel Broadband) for some years and have had no problems using 18185 with them. Their line rental has gone up and I am in the course of switching to the Post Office who (though not as cheap as Direct Telecom) I thought allowed 18185. I have now had a phone call from the Post Office support (in response to a web query sent 3 weeks ago) saying I can not use 18185. Has anyone direct experience of using 18185 with the Post Office (not via the 0800 route)? I note the T&C ban pre carrier selection but make no reference to override providers.[/FONT]
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    allfrey wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]I have been using Primus (now Fuel Broadband) for some years and have had no problems using 18185 with them. Their line rental has gone up and I am in the course of switching to the Post Office who (though not as cheap as Direct Telecom) I thought allowed 18185. I have now had a phone call from the Post Office support (in response to a web query sent 3 weeks ago) saying I can not use 18185. Has anyone direct experience of using 18185 with the Post Office (not via the 0800 route)? I note the T&C ban pre carrier selection but make no reference to override providers.[/FONT]

You'll perhaps be pleased to know that I've just tested this on a relative's Post Office phone (she has access to 18185 via my account) and it works. The usual 18185 confirmation message ("zero p per minute") came up and the call connected.

Sadly, it no longer works for me since I switched to TalkTalk. :o
  • poorprincepoorprince Forumite
    64 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all. I have my my home phone deal, my broadband deal and my line rental all currently with BT. Is it possible to take my broadband deal and line rental to another company, while still leaving my home phone deal with BT? Any information much appreciated. Thank you.
  • allfreyallfrey Forumite
    30 Posts
    Forumite
    I think you will have to have line rental and phone package with the same supplier, though you can move your broadband on its own(if the broadband provider will accept this).

I queried on this thread whether you could use 18185 with the Post Office. Having moved today (phone and line rental only) I can confirm 18185 is still working (though I believe it would not had I switched BB as well).

The PO customer service before the switch were adamant that it would not work (even after I had asked the adviser to speak to her supervisor). Separately the unit gave me nonsensical and rubbish advice about the constraints on switching to them.

Moral: MSE forums may provide more accurate advice than service providers.
  • poorprincepoorprince Forumite
    64 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    allfrey wrote: »
    Moral: MSE forums may provide more accurate advice than service providers.

Yes, quite possible and always worth bearing in mind.

I have another query for the enlightened here. I phoned one company today, I won't name them, and asked a few questions about a certain promotion. I gave no personal details whatsoever. The lady I spoke to said she would have to ring me back, as one of the questions I had asked needed her to get clarification from a manager. She then told me my phone number and asked if she should ring me back on that number.

Now, I currently have the BT Privacy service active on my line, I tested it was still working after the call ended and it was, so how on earth did she know what my number was? :eek: Was this legal? I don't wish to make a big deal about this, but it was a bit disconcerting to know some companies can still see your number when it is supposed to be hidden. I told her my number better not go on any database, so if they ring me up again with any sales calls they certainly won't be getting my business! ;)
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    ploddingon wrote: »
    Yes, quite possible and always worth bearing in mind.

I have another query for the enlightened here. I phoned one company today, I won't name them, and asked a few questions about a certain promotion. I gave no personal details whatsoever. The lady I spoke to said she would have to ring me back, as one of the questions I had asked needed her to get clarification from a manager. She then told me my phone number and asked if she should ring me back on that number.

Now, I currently have the BT Privacy service active on my line, I tested it was still working after the call ended and it was, so how on earth did she know what my number was? :eek: Was this legal? I don't wish to make a big deal about this, but it was a bit disconcerting to know some companies can still see your number when it is supposed to be hidden. I told her my number better not go on any database, so if they ring me up again with any sales calls they certainly won't be getting my business! ;)
    Interesting - I'm aware that some recipients of calls can 'see' your number, but I've never been too sure which. Obviously, emergency services and the like - but who else?

Maybe telecoms service providers, too?

Someone will know the answer.
  • Ahem! Perhaps I should not say this (Adept have to make a few bob somewhere)! but 18185 does work!
    Good luck with it. Do tell us how you get on.
    It works for me -- brilliantly.
    I should have said ... there is one charge - a one-off £6 plus VAT charge for BT to swap your connections over at the exchange. Worth every penny!
  • For information go to their website (I am not allowed to tell you it under the rules of this board) and click Investors.
    Be careful when finding the website as there are several firms with similar names.
  • lu_lu_2lu_lu_2 Forumite
    53 Posts
    Please assist: cheapest line rental, prepared to pay up front 12/18 months, caller display essential, internet billing. Inclusive calls useful but not essential as few calls made.