Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

edited 14 June 2010 at 3:32PM in Phones & TV
1.1K replies 372.6K views

Replies

• It is totally wrong that "You still pay BT for line rental". That is total nonsense. Why can`t you check the facts before sounding off on things you know nothing about?
    Also I was told by the Finance Director, when I raised the question at an Annual General Meeting, that the overpriced call centre number is because they are primarily a commercial supplier and it is allowed. However, geographic numbers are also available.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Raywill wrote: »
    3p/min for inbound calls? First I have heard of it! I will ask them.
    Directors are perfectly entitled to sell shares. It happens all the time in most quoted companies, sometimes to raise money to convert options.
    On an earlier occasion shares were sold because fund managers complained that there were not enough available for them to buy. Perhaps this has happened again.
    I wonder which company this chap works for?
    That 3 directors sold a large block of shares all on the same day was the remarkable thing.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Hi, BugLawton is definitely wrong here. Yes, broadband is available for the home market.
    It does cost a bit more than others because it is higher grade: lower contention ratio. I.e. fewer users per line.
    Broadband for residential use?
    Look at this gloriously confusing page:
    http://www.adept-telecom.co.uk/products/broadband
    ...can you point me to a page that crisply and clearly explains residential pricing and a postcode check on availability?
  • Ian011Ian011 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    It is totally wrong that "You still pay BT for line rental". That is total nonsense. Why can`t you check the facts before sounding off on things you know nothing about?
    Their residential page explains that the service is CPS and you still pay BT for line rental. If it is not true, why does it say that on their website.
    Also I was told by the Finance Director, when I raised the question at an Annual General Meeting, that the overpriced call centre number is because they are primarily a commercial supplier and it is allowed. However, geographic numbers are also available.
    On the residential page, the customer services number is shown as a premium rate 0844 number. Offering this number on this page is illegal.
  • edited 24 May 2018 at 11:34AM
    HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 24 May 2018 at 11:34AM
    I've long since given up trying to pick and mix calls providers with the exception of 18185 for my calls to Spain (4p connection and 1p/minute via their 0808 1 703 703 freephone number). We only use that when completely free Facetime is not working (usually a broadband problem at the Spanish end).

So, for me, it's now just a question of getting a reasonable landline/broadband deal with the provider allowing 18185 access.

So, it's PlusNet (a BT company) for me. I had the first 18 months of unlimited (non-fibre) 16MB broadband free with £18.99 for line rental, £0.99 for CLI and £8 for inclusive 01,02,02,0845 and 0870 calls of up to an hour.

I've now moved on to a second 18 month contract with broadband now costing £1.99/month but CLI now free - effectively a £1/month increase on my package.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • sprocket1sprocket1 Forumite
    16 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    I've just moved to Pulse8, so I do not need 18185 any longer. Pulse8 charge 1p a min (or less) for landline calls with no connection charge. Line rental is £13 a month or £6 if you take their broadband.

I do not like moving broadband provider every year and have been with Plusnet, or it's predecessor Metronet, for years but have now moved everything to Pulse8. I'm now paying £25 a month - £3 more than if I'd kept my broadband with Plusnet and phone with Pulse8 - but am now getting unlimited broadband, compared to my 10GB daytime limit under an old Plusnet contract.
  • poorprincepoorprince Forumite
    64 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sprocket1 wrote: »
    I'm now paying £25 a month - £3 more than if I'd kept my broadband with Plusnet and phone with Pulse8 - but am now getting unlimited broadband, compared to my 10GB daytime limit under an old Plusnet contract.

Well, if you are ever even remotely likely to use more than 10GB a month, then it does make sense to have the unlimited broadband option available to you for only £3 per month more. How are you getting on with Pulse8 thus far? :)
  • sprocket1sprocket1 Forumite
    16 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Sorry, I did not spot your question.

I'm very happy with Pulse8. It's good knowing calls will not cost much. My monthly bills for calls are tiny but I no longer hesitate over making calls or worry about the time of day.
  • frostie101frostie101 Forumite
    71 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi
    I am just looking to change my mums home phone supplier (doesn't have broadband etc)
    is there a comparison site i can use?
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020, 2021,
    Sealed Pot Challenge: #22 2020 £178.18, 2021 £
    Debt Reduction 2021: 1st Jan 21 Total £3164.59/ Feb £2997.51/Mar £2839.43/Apr £2686.85/May £2525.80/June £
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Check first if she can get the BT Basic service .