Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    ITtim wrote: »
    apparently relyon say the density is 45gram. Is that any good?

I presume they mean 45kg per m3. If so then it is far too low density, and won't really give you any support.
  • jakejenson
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    As you will know if you have been reading many of my posts the optimum depth for memory foam is 2" up to a absolute maximum of 2.5". The Flexcell Deluxe 1000 has 4" of memory foam. The memory foam is only there to mould to your body. Once it has done this then any extra depth will just make you sink deeper into it engulfing you, and possibly making you very hot. Combined with the fact that the bottom layer is reflex foam that will actually insulate rather than disperse the heat, then the mattress could make you very hot indeed.

As for the coolmax, it may feel cooler when you get into bed, and it may take away moisture, but the heat has to go somewhere. It will just build up in the mattress, and reflect straight back to your body.

Buy a mattress for it's qualities rather than the freebies they throw in.

I've done abit more research since above, and been into my local bed store and found 2 mattresses that I quite like.

Staples Superior Comfort 1200 spring with memory foam

Staples Visco Twlight 1000 Spring with memory foam

They are both priced at £550.00.

They are both no-turn which I know you'll slate but apart from the La Romantica Madrid & Venice I can't find any memory foam bed with memory foam on both sides.

Also as I have a slated bed wouldn't it affect the memory foam on the bottom due to it reacting to the slats. I asked the sa because I was unsure whether memory foam only reacts to body heat, but she said it reacts to anything. i.e. if I put a book on the bed it would leave an indent. Sorry if this is a really thick question!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    jakejenson wrote: »
    Also as I have a slated bed wouldn't it affect the memory foam on the bottom due to it reacting to the slats. I asked the sa because I was unsure whether memory foam only reacts to body heat, but she said it reacts to anything. i.e. if I put a book on the bed it would leave an indent. Sorry if this is a really thick question!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

No the slats wouldn't affect the memory foam. Memory foam softens when it reacts to body heat, so the memory foam on the bottom will stay firmer, and will spread the weight out over the slats allowing the gaps to be up to 3".

The memory foam will obviously compress slightly (it doesn't go like concrete when cold), but it won't harm the memory foam in any way. I have my mattress on a pine slatted bed, and you can't see any indentations at all when I turn the mattress over.
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    I shouldn't think it's a manufacturing error. What model mattress is it?
    Staples Duchesse. King, pocket if it makes a difference...?
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • jakejenson
    Options
    I've done abit more research since above, and been into my local bed store and found 2 mattresses that I quite like.

Any comment?????????????

Thanks for reply on memory foam:T
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options

Any comment?????????????

Thanks for reply on memory foam:T
    Ive got a Staples pocket sprung mattress that i am VERY happy with. They do do turnable equivelants, as mine is turnable, so maybe you could ask about availability and price on the better alternative? If both priced the same, the 1200 spring version would be better if possible. Any idea on the depth of the memory foam?
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • pepsicola_2
    Options
    i have an Ikea mattress that i am VERY happy with

helpful enough :confused:
  • mutty_hc
    mutty_hc Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    I'm after a bed and mattress and have a £500 budget. I've been reading this thread a lot and it seems a memory/open coil may be better to go for in my price range than a pocket sprung? Because it'd be the high end of open coil over the low/mid end of pocket? Also is it better to go for a bed frame with a sprung slat base over flat slats? Cheers.
  • jakejenson
    Options
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    Ive got a Staples pocket sprung mattress that i am VERY happy with. They do do turnable equivelants, as mine is turnable, so maybe you could ask about availability and price on the better alternative? If both priced the same, the 1200 spring version would be better if possible. Any idea on the depth of the memory foam?

The sa didn't know how much memory foam was in them she gave me the names of the mattresses and told me to research them on the internet. I can't find any info on either of them though tried goggle & ask. Does anyone know if Staples have a website?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    Staples Duchesse. King, pocket if it makes a difference...?

"MATTRESS - 1254 Hand Nested Pocketed Springs, individually encased in their fabric pockets in a honeycomb arrangement allowing them to respond to every movement and conform to the contours of the body. - 2 Firmness Tensions:- Firm or Medium. A choice of firmness to suit personal requirements. - Combed Fleece Wool giving a supremely luxurious upholstery layer . - Superfine Cotton Felt helping you to feel cool in summer and warm in winter. - Cotton Felt enabling long lasting resilience. - 2 Rows of Hand Side Stitching which secures the borders to the spring unit providing a firmer edge and prolonging the life of the mattress. - Wool Tufts which are an important feature essential for securing the generous quantities of loose laid upholstery."

Looks like it is supposed to be like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure