We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• wackyracer
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    Have you bought one?
    Yes it arrived the other day but i haven't unpacked it yet. It has a label on it with a packed date of Feb 08 and an unpack by date of August 08. I have phoned the company i bought it from but was told not to take any notice of the date. But then he woud say that. Thanks Stu.
  • jakejenson
    Options
    Hello, I hope someone can help me this is the 1st time i've posted on this site although I read it all the time. Its also the 1st time i've ever brought a mattress so all comments will be gratefully received.

Basically I brought a new bed in January this year (Reylon Ambassador 5ft Kingsize) with the intension of buying a new mattress a few months later due to me being pregnant at the time and not wanting to buy a new mattress then my waters breaking on it!!!!!! However I still haven't brought one yet.

I've been recommended Bedstar which is an online site. Has anyone used them?

Also I haven't a clue what sort of mattress to buy. Should I buy a Reylon one to match the bed, or doesn't it matter.

My mum & gran both have memoryform mattresses and say they are really comfy, again what do you think?

I don't mind spending between £300-£400 as long as it will last and be comfy (I love my bed, although I don't get to spend as much time in it anymore with a toddler & a baby!)

Sorry if i've gone on abit. Hope it all makes sense!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    wackyracer wrote: »
    Yes it arrived the other day but i haven't unpacked it yet. It has a label on it with a packed date of Feb 08 and an unpack by date of August 08. I have phoned the company i bought it from but was told not to take any notice of the date. But then he woud say that. Thanks Stu.

As an educated guess I'd say that the date is there because if it is left packed for too long then the mattress may become permanently distorted. However, as it is only a couple of months out, I shouldn't think it would be a problem. If you are concerned then insist that they change to to one that is within date.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    jakejenson wrote: »
    Also I haven't a clue what sort of mattress to buy. Should I buy a Reylon one to match the bed, or doesn't it matter.

There is no need at all to use a Relyon mattress with it, you can use any make. What type of base is it?
    My mum & gran both have memoryform mattresses and say they are really comfy, again what do you think?

Memory foam mattresses are excellent as long as you pick the right one. There is a lot of rubbish on the market as well as some very good ones.
    I don't mind spending between £300-£400 as long as it will last and be comfy (I love my bed, although I don't get to spend as much time in it anymore with a toddler & a baby!)

Sorry if i've gone on abit. Hope it all makes sense!

Do you have any in mind?
  • jakejenson
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I have a beech sprung slats bedstead (if that makes sense)

Before looking on here I was interested in the Flexcell Deluxe 1000 mattress as the price didn't seem too bad and I was seduced by the extra's (free coolmax cover, free pair of memory form pillows & free delivery).
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I have a beech sprung slats bedstead (if that makes sense)

Before looking on here I was interested in the Flexcell Deluxe 1000 mattress as the price didn't seem too bad and I was seduced by the extra's (free coolmax cover, free pair of memory form pillows & free delivery).

As you will know if you have been reading many of my posts the optimum depth for memory foam is 2" up to a absolute maximum of 2.5". The Flexcell Deluxe 1000 has 4" of memory foam. The memory foam is only there to mould to your body. Once it has done this then any extra depth will just make you sink deeper into it engulfing you, and possibly making you very hot. Combined with the fact that the bottom layer is reflex foam that will actually insulate rather than disperse the heat, then the mattress could make you very hot indeed.

As for the coolmax, it may feel cooler when you get into bed, and it may take away moisture, but the heat has to go somewhere. It will just build up in the mattress, and reflect straight back to your body.

Buy a mattress for it's qualities rather than the freebies they throw in.
  • Broke_Bloke_2
    Options
    I've had a Romantica Venice memory foam king-size for about a month now and it has been great for getting rid of pains I had whilst lying down, and it gives me a full night sleep.
    As I'm not wanting to fall foul of advertising (although I have no connection whatsoever with the company that sold me it) I don't want to mention the company name, but Google is your friend.
    Thanks Tim for your advice, on this site and directly :T.
  • Broke_Bloke_2
    Options
    pepsicola,
    To remove any uncertainty I may have caused...
    Contact was instigated by me on my initiative, and I am grateful for the advice Tim gave.
  • ITtim
    ITtim Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What are Relyon beds like?

I can get a Reylon Monet for £275

Spec as follows....
    • 1500 Pocket Mattress
    • 50mm Layer of Memory Foam
    • 5 Year Guarantee
    • Non Turnable
    • Strong Damask Cover
    I appreciate its a non turn but i am willing to sacrifice the turning (we forget anyway) so with that in mind is it a good deal? free delivery also.
    kicking squealing gucci little piggy.
  • kopo
    kopo Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Cheap Flexcell mattress
    http://www.memory-mattress.co.uk/index.html
    They are not advertise the make of the mattresses on website.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure