Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• wannagetfit
    Options
    Has anyone else experience with a double sided pocket sprung memory foam mattress?? Can't find them in Ireland and was wondering is it worth the hassle of getting one shipped from England.

Went to couple of stores today. Was told by one guy that they are "old" technology, that they used to sell them in Ireland but not anymore because they found that the foam on the bottom side moulded to the frame of the base??

I know what Time says but has anyone else that has used one for years found this problem, or any other problem with them?

Thanks (no offense Tim, just looking for other opinions before I spend my money, I am sure you understand, actaully you opinon on the moulding to bed frame would be appreciated but still looking for others experience also)
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone else experience with a double sided pocket sprung memory foam mattress?? Can't find them in Ireland and was wondering is it worth the hassle of getting one shipped from England.

Went to couple of stores today. Was told by one guy that they are "old" technology, that they used to sell them in Ireland but not anymore because they found that the foam on the bottom side moulded to the frame of the base??

I know what Time says but has anyone else that has used one for years found this problem, or any other problem with them?

Thanks (no offense Tim, just looking for other opinions before I spend my money, I am sure you understand, actaully you opinon on the moulding to bed frame would be appreciated but still looking for others experience also)

I'm afraid you have just been a victim of the sales reps bulls##t. It is quite common that if they are asked about something that they don't sell, then they will make it up as they go along.

The truth is that it is not old technologhy, but is actually new. Memory foam reacts with your body heat to soften and mould to your body. So on the bottom of the mattress the memory foam is cold, and very firm.

Your best bet might be to find a seller on the UK mainland who uses a courier who will ship to Ireland. Just make sure that if the courier damages the mattress, then a replacement will be delivered at no extra cost to you.
  • povster
    povster Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hello again

I have decided to go King size and have seen the following bed frame:
    http://www.sleepmasters.co.uk/wooden-beds/sancerre-wooden-bed-405.html

I thought reduced to £200 for a King size bed frame was a good price +£35 delivery.
    Any thoughts on wether this is a good buy?

Thanks
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    povster wrote: »
    Hello again

I have decided to go King size and have seen the following bed frame:
    http://www.sleepmasters.co.uk/wooden-beds/sancerre-wooden-bed-405.html

I thought reduced to £200 for a King size bed frame was a good price +£35 delivery.
    Any thoughts on wether this is a good buy?

Thanks

I'd say £200 is about the right price, but certainly not a bargain. There is no way they would sell them at the quoted £999.95.
  • ACID
    ACID Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Options
    How firm do you like your mattress?
    quite firm..not hard but firm enough..dont like soft mattress..need to be able to feel it on my back

What type of base is it going on?
    erm??? double bed..exactly according to that size...on wooden planks?

What is your budget?
    max 200-250 def no more..

I'd say go for a good quality firm open coil sprung mattress around 9 or 10" deep.

i need it for a 4ft 6" by 6ft 3"

i this reffered to as a medium double//can only find a handful but not many places mention the site
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    ACID wrote: »
    How firm do you like your mattress?
    quite firm..not hard but firm enough..dont like soft mattress..need to be able to feel it on my back

What type of base is it going on?
    erm??? double bed..exactly according to that size...on wooden planks?

What is your budget?
    max 200-250 def no more..

I'd say go for a good quality firm open coil sprung mattress around 9 or 10" deep.

i need it for a 4ft 6" by 6ft 3"

i this reffered to as a medium double//can only find a handful but not many places mention the site

No it is a standard double which you can find from any seller who sells UK size mattresses.
  • povster
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    I'd say £200 is about the right price, but certainly not a bargain. There is no way they would sell them at the quoted £999.95.

Thanks Tim, I gathered that they put a ridiculous RRP on there to make you think your getting a bargain! When I went into sleepmasters the frames seemed quite sturdy but they could just be the same as all the rest?

The cheapest I have seen on the internet for a kingsize wooden bed frame is £179 - http://www.bedworld.net/beds_mattresses/33DENBFC07--KINGSI/Bedworld_Discount__Denver_Antique_Pine_Bed_Frame.html

or http://www.bedsdirect.com/product.php?id=21586 at £178

I am planning on putting either a la romantica or kozeesleep mattress on my new frame (pocket sprung and probably memory foam one side) and I just wondered if these frames will shorten the life of my mattress.
    The one I asked you about from sleepmasters at £200 is sprung slats and the two above just slats, will my mattress be ok on either?
    ;)
    Thanks
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    povster wrote: »
    Thanks Tim, I gathered that they put a ridiculous RRP on there to make you think your getting a bargain! When I went into sleepmasters the frames seemed quite sturdy but they could just be the same as all the rest?

The cheapest I have seen on the internet for a kingsize wooden bed frame is £179 - http://www.bedworld.net/beds_mattresses/33DENBFC07--KINGSI/Bedworld_Discount__Denver_Antique_Pine_Bed_Frame.html

or http://www.bedsdirect.com/product.php?id=21586 at £178

I am planning on putting either a la romantica or kozeesleep mattress on my new frame (pocket sprung and probably memory foam one side) and I just wondered if these frames will shorten the life of my mattress.
    The one I asked you about from sleepmasters at £200 is sprung slats and the two above just slats, will my mattress be ok on either?
    ;)
    Thanks

It would depend on the type of mattress you are putting on the base. Unless it has memory foam on both sides, you would be best laying a sheet of peg board over the slats to spread the weight out.
  • povster
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    It would depend on the type of mattress you are putting on the base. Unless it has memory foam on both sides, you would be best laying a sheet of peg board over the slats to spread the weight out.

The mattress will be pocket sprung 1000 (minimum) with memory foam one side (La romantica lovell is a possibility) so would I lay a peg board on just a slatted base or sprung slats also (would that not stop the sprung slats from doing their job?)
  • robbie_save
    Options
    I bought a seriously comfortable super-king mattress from

http://www.mattressnextday.co.uk

Th emattress didn't arrive the next day however! The guy in the warehouse cut the mattress when he was moving it and it was the last one....they did deliver a replacement at a £50 discount. So I paid £250 in all.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure