Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• colincliff
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    The logo is for the better Kozeesleep company, but the photo doesn't look like the pocketmaster.

I should also point out that the pocketmaster is an entry level pocket sprung mattress.

Thanks Tim. I'm really not able to spend much more than £250 on a mattress at the moment so i think entry level is where i will have to look.

Is the Relyon Matisse - '1000' Pocket Spring Mattress and different/better in your opinion? it mentions having side stiching to add support but i dont know how important that is.
  • myaccount08
    Options
    Can i just confirm that a non-turn 1400 pocket sprung mattress with natural fillings and one sided memory foam (or latex) on a platform divan base is still acceptable and will last a decent amount of time? This non-turn/turn business is really confusing me. I also cannot find anyone who does a 2-sided super-kingsize mattress. All the ones i see are non turn. This has so far stopped me from buying because i'm worried it won't last long enough.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    colincliff wrote: »
    Thanks Tim. I'm really not able to spend much more than £250 on a mattress at the moment so i think entry level is where i will have to look.

Is the Relyon Matisse - '1000' Pocket Spring Mattress and different/better in your opinion? it mentions having side stiching to add support but i dont know how important that is.

Do you have a link for the Relyon?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Can i just confirm that a non-turn 1400 pocket sprung mattress with natural fillings and one sided memory foam (or latex) on a platform divan base is still acceptable and will last a decent amount of time? This non-turn/turn business is really confusing me. I also cannot find anyone who does a 2-sided super-kingsize mattress. All the ones i see are non turn. This has so far stopped me from buying because i'm worried it won't last long enough.

It would be fine on a platform top base, but I couldn't say it would last a decent amount of time, as pocket springs must be turned.

Try doing a search on google for something like '2 sided pocket sprung and memory foam mattress'
  • colincliff
    Options
    Do you have a link for the Relyon?

its here: http://www.mattress24.co.uk/product/Bedstead_%22Mattise%22_1000_Pocket_mattress-115 only has 1000 pocket springs.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    colincliff wrote: »

They are both entry level.

After a number of things I have heard lately I'd go for the pocketmaster out of the two.
  • colincliff
    Options
    great, thanks
  • raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    I can see where you are coming from, but I'm afraid you are wrong on a few points:
    • We don't lay on exactly the same springs if the mattress is just flipped over.

Try it !!!
    • You should alternate between flipping the mattress over, and rotating it lengthways. This means that each person will rotate between 4 different parts of the mattress.
    • Pocket springs work independently, so they don't have support from the surrounding springs. This makes them more fragile individually which is why for many years all bed manufacturers told us to turn them on a regular basis.
    • Manufacturers still tell us to rotate non turn mattresses lengthways in order to promote even wear. The only reason they no longer tell us to turn the mattress is because to cut production costs they have only put the memory foam on one side.

Padding !
    • There is more than one manufacturer who sells 2 sided memory foam mattresses.

We all know the one you sell, in fact perorming the search you suggest a few posts back will actually bring up this thread and your website, so show your impartiality and tell us a few you do NOT sell.

It applies to all mattresses. Where do you get your information from?

??

I'm starting to wonder if you are just arguing for the sake of it, or you have an undeclared interest in the bed industry?

Actually I have spent the best part of a week going round shops and a lot more reading a load of garbage on the internet trying to find a mattress that will not make me wake up more tired than I went to bed.
    You started trying to pull my advice apart in the Northern Ireland thread. As you well know I don't sell to any part of Ireland, so you have brought your personal abuse into this thread instead. I'm afraid you are covering old ground, so please give it a rest. If I was on here to advertise, then I wouldn't have even been giving advice in the Northern Ireland thread would I?
    [/quote]

I am quite simply offering my opinion to someone in NI who is searching in vain for a double sided memory foam mattress that in MY opinion and the laws of simple physics and springs suggests that it is quite simply not necessary. I return to this and the NI thread looking for a bargain deal (I thought that was the idea of this site) so I can go along and try any of these to see if they may be suitable for me.

I dont really need a salesman to sell me a bed as I know when I lay on it if it will be comfortable, and beleive it or not I worked the following out all by myself. If you rotate a mattress so the pillow end is at the feet end then most of the weight is on a slightly different position to that of a partner who may have been laying beside you, if you flip it from side to side so the pillow side is underneath then the heaviest bits will nost likely be in a similar position to any partner who may have been laying there and any other "turn" is just a combination of these.

If turning a mattress made from pocket springs and memory foam can "double" the life as you have advocated then in MY OPINION the mattress must be very poorly constructed.

If I read all the posts and take your advice then there is only one mattres I could possibly buy. You may well see your advice as impartial but I am afriad that no matter how I read it you do not advise or recommend any other product unless of course I include pegboard.

If you wish to construe my OPINION as "pulling your advice apart" thats up to you but I thought the idea of a forum was to share opinions and information and not a soap box for individuals involved in the trade.

I turn the point back on you, that when I make any post you try to tear it apart, but as my aim is to buy and not sell a mattress I shall take no further in your argument.
  • raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    By the way, just before I go, I have absolutely NO problem with Tim advertising Bedlum beds nor the fact that a few posts back he recommends the Kozeesleep pocketmaster or the double sided mattress by La Romantica both of which he sells on Ebay and his webshop but to rubbish EVERY other make ???
  • mattmanchester
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

Well yesterday I got my King La Romantica Venice mattress and sprung divan delivered from Bedlum, and I have to say every aspect was brilliant.
    I had a number of queries pre-purchase which were answered really quick, the delivery guys from Bedlum were very helpful and even gave me a rough time so we were not waiting in all day Saturday.

As for the bed, I can honestly say that I've had the best nights sleep ever. As I previously posted, I used to have Ikea beds and mattresses, but now I don't think I could ever go back!
    I know it's only been one night with the new bed, but I'm really really pleased that I didn't get sucked into one of the 'big brand' retailers or manufacturers - I certainly got a lot more for the money - the equivalent in the shops would have cost well over double, and even then probably just been a massed produced item.

I'll come back after a couple of weeks and post again regarding the bed and more sleeps to give you a further viewpoint.

Thanks Bedlum Beds, and thanks Tim for his posts on here.

ps - I'm not used to sleeping so high up off the ground! :)

Matt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport