🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Amarillo
    Amarillo Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    I only pass on comments that I have heard from 100's of unhappy users. I have only ever heard a couple of people praising them, and they bought theirs 20 years ago.quote]

Are you refering to all Sealy and Rest Assured beds then, no matter what they are made of? I know from experience to avoid Silentnight, but didn't realise about the others.

We're looking for a Super king, Pocket sprung (1200 or 1400) probably with a Latex layer (or possibly memory foam) layer. Any suggestions of retails/where to look?

Could anyone help with the following...
    • Which is the better base - sprung slats or a divan?
    • Are the platform divans with draws of inferior quality to the sprung divan type?
    • One seller said that turnable mattresses have to be turned every week for the first month, then monthly - is this true?
    I was looking at the Rest Assured Latex beds
    http://www.restassured.co.uk/downloads/specifications.pdf
    And had favored the Sanctuary Essence, Pocket Latex Bellini, and the Pocket Latex Puccini. I was heading towards the cheaper one, the Puccini.

Could i have some opinions on the specific stats of the aforementioned??

And then i found this one on sale and thought it looked like really good value - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6601726/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C10197552/c_2/2%7Ccat_10197552%7CBeds%7C10197645/c_3/3%7Ccat_10197645%7CSuper+kingsize+beds%7C10197664.htm

Am i completely off the mark?? :confused::o

You're heading in the same direction I have just been down. Went into a local bed shop adamant that I would want pocket spring with memory foam and spent ages trying out loads of beds. Found that I liked one by the Pocket Spring Bed Company which was a pocket spring mattress and the Rest Assured Puccini. Sent for DH who agreed but slightly favoured the Pucccini.

Then went to Dreams and absolutely loved their Rest Assured Sicily http://www.dreams.co.uk/en-gb/ProductDetails/?cid=MEMORYFOAM-DIVAN&pid=311-00394&language=en-GB and decided that pocket spring and latex was the way forward for us.

Did an internet search and did find the Argos one and was tempted but did find a difference in the feel of the lower spring count ones in Dreams (similar I think to the Puccini and the Sicily.

Sicily was over budget and I didn't want to buy from Dreams anyway as the salesman had chased us round the shop, so had a look on line. From what I can work out it is pretty much the same as the Essence 2600 Pocket and Latex. Found a place on line which has done it for £972 for the Superking Divan with 4 drawers which worked out nearly £300 cheaper than Dreams so decided to go for it.

It's still on order so I'm not able to tell you what it is actually like unfortunately. I nearly didn't buy it as saw the stuff on Rest Assured and no turn mattresses on here but we both find it significantly more comfortable than the others we tried to decided to go for it - time will tell if it was the correct decision I guess.

The whole bed buying experience has bought it home to me how important it is to actually go and try a few to get a better feeling of what you actually like. We have a memory foam topper that we liked but really weren't at all keen on the pocket spring and memory foam ones in reality.
  • ACID
    ACID Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say go for a good quality firm open coil sprung mattress around 9 or 10" deep.

thansk Tim

http://www.the-bed-shop.com/titan-super-ortho-comfort-p-666.html

is the above ideal..am i on the right path

i noticed some websites dont mention the deep factor..
  • mattersdorff
    Options
    Tim, it's a really rare thing to come across someone willing to offer up so much of their time to help all the people on this forum with advice about mattresses. I realise now the tricky nature of this forum and what you can and cannot say... it's obviously a tricky thing when I'm sure everyone simply wants to hear from someone they can trust and count on their word. There are sooooo many sharks out there trying to lure unsuspecting consumers in for kill that you generally always suspect the worse of people that offer up their time for free.

Anyway, I'm still in a total quandry as to which way to turn in respect to buying a mattress.

Can I just say firstly - DON'T BUY a
    SLEEPNIGHT MIRACOIL MATTRESS
    !!!!!

I'm astounded how RELIABLY BAD these mattresses are... I don't know of ANYONE that's had a good experience with them and astonishingly, virtually everyone I hear about has very similar problems.

Just a few pages ago, someone comments on he and his wife owning a Miracoil which buckled on 'his' side - this is EXACTLY what happened to my mattress and I'm painfully still sleeping on a buckled bed until we find a new one to buy.

Anyway, does anyone had any opinions on this mattress:
    http://www.dreams.co.uk/en-gb/ProductDetails/?cid=POCKETSPRING-MAT&pid=113-00206&language=en-GB

I'm quite afraid of going for a memory foam mattress like the La Romantica Madrid because I really don't want to get too hot in bed and I've heard memory foam mattresses can get quite hot.

We have a goose down quilt that is already quite hot to sleep under so I'd be worried about getting a memory foam to go with this.

ALSO, would a 3.5 inch gap between my slats be DAMAGING to a La Romantica Madrid mattress or something similar like the poketsprung mattress in the bed above???

Keen to know anyone's thoughts, especially Tim's of course but I'll understand if you don't.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    ACID wrote: »
    thansk Tim

http://www.the-bed-shop.com/titan-super-ortho-comfort-p-666.html

is the baoe ideal..am i on the right path

i noticed some websites dont mention the deep factor..

Not really. That is a mid range open coil sprung mattress that is only 7.5" deep.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Tim, it's a really rare thing to come across someone willing to offer up so much of their time to help all the people on this forum with advice about mattresses. I realise now the tricky nature of this forum and what you can and cannot say... it's obviously a tricky thing when I'm sure everyone simply wants to hear from someone they can trust and count on their word. There are sooooo many sharks out there trying to lure unsuspecting consumers in for kill that you generally always suspect the worse of people that offer up their time for free.

Anyway, I'm still in a total quandry as to which way to turn in respect to buying a mattress.

Can I just say firstly - DON'T BUY a
    SLEEPNIGHT MIRACOIL MATTRESS
    !!!!!

I'm astounded how RELIABLY BAD these mattresses are... I don't know of ANYONE that's had a good experience with them and astonishingly, virtually everyone I hear about has very similar problems.

Just a few pages ago, someone comments on he and his wife owning a Miracoil which buckled on 'his' side - this is EXACTLY what happened to my mattress and I'm painfully still sleeping on a buckled bed until we find a new one to buy.

Anyway, does anyone had any opinions on this mattress:
    http://www.dreams.co.uk/en-gb/ProductDetails/?cid=POCKETSPRING-MAT&pid=113-00206&language=en-GB

I'm quite afraid of going for a memory foam mattress like the La Romantica Madrid because I really don't want to get too hot in bed and I've heard memory foam mattresses can get quite hot.

We have a goose down quilt that is already quite hot to sleep under so I'd be worried about getting a memory foam to go with this.

ALSO, would a 3.5 inch gap between my slats be DAMAGING to a La Romantica Madrid mattress or something similar like the poketsprung mattress in the bed above???

Keen to know anyone's thoughts, especially Tim's of course but I'll understand if you don't.

Firstly, you could get far better for your money by not buying from the big chain stores.

Memory foam is only too hot if one or both of the following apply:
    • The memory foam is too deep
    • It is memory foam on top of reflex foam
    Pocket sprung only mattresses can only cope with gaps between slats of up to 1". You can make modifications to get around this problem.

The ONLY type of mattress that can cope with 3.5" gaps would be open coil sprung.
  • raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    And if that was the case then statistically I would have heard that a far higher percentage were happy with their Silentnight group mattresses. Try doing a forum search.

I have done that, but in all honesty I do not have time to read all of them.

What I find absolutely amazing is that if I Google "silent night complaints" or "rest assured complaints" I get nothing ... just to test the theory if I Google "dreams complants" or "land of leather complaints" I get loads of hits ???

As I said before, I respect your opinion but would like to hear of some factual accounts of problems with Sealy/Rest Assured particulaly those complaints regarding pocket sprung mattresses rather than Miracoil.

Also, does anyone know of any tests done to show wether using a sprung base with a pocket sprung mattress does any good other than making it feel a bit softer or is adding a cheap soring system below an expensive mattress a waste of time (or worse).

As you may have gathered, I like to deal in facts, not hearsay.
  • mattersdorff
    Options
    The ONLY type of mattress that can cope with 3.5" gaps would be open coil sprung.

would the La Romantica Madrid work on a bed frame with slat gaps of 3.5"????

perhaps I need to look into buying more slats or an entirely new bed frame.... mine is a crappy Osaka frame from Argos anyway so I'm not loosing much if I replace it.

thoughts?
  • alictait
    alictait Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    would the La Romantica Madrid work on a bed frame with slat gaps of 3.5"????

perhaps I need to look into buying more slats or an entirely new bed frame.... mine is a crappy Osaka frame from Argos anyway so I'm not loosing much if I replace it.

thoughts?

You can just cover your bedframe with a sheet of chipboard ;)
    If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried.
  • mattersdorff
    Options
    alictait wrote: »
    You can just cover your bedframe with a sheet of chipboard ;)

but surely that would prevent air circulating out of the bottom of the mattress which woud make it STINKING hot
  • wannagetfit
    Options
    There is actually a mattress thread in the Northern Ireland section which mentions quite a few sellers. Many of these don't just sell brand names.

Tim, or anyone, where is the northern ireland section. i cant find it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport