Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
articlealert.gif
This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Water Bills Cost Cutting article.

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Replies

• Someone told me that with two or more children under 18 you can get metered water capped at £300. Does anyone know if this is true and what you do to qualify.
    :snow_laug HM Christmas 2010
    Knitted squares - [STRIKE]6[/STRIKE]13. pages of ideas - [STRIKE]7[/STRIKE] 19:rotfl:
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone told me that with two or more children under 18 you can get metered water capped at £300. Does anyone know if this is true and what you do to qualify.

Maybe if you are on benefits, definately not available if you are not.
  • rtubbrtubb Forumite
    16 Posts
    As an individual living alone in a house and with an eye on keeping water usage low with regards to the the environmental impact of water usage, I felt getting a meter would save me a packet in bills.

After enuiring about moving to a meter, Severn Trent visited my property, did some digging - then stopped work. Said I was part of a "shared" water system so couldn't have a meter fitted. They then offered me a "saver" tariff of £250 - £40 a year MORE than my current tariff!!

This was around 4 years ago and I've never enquired again. I'd definitely save a fortune by converting to metered water, but I wonder if anyone else has been refused a water meter fitting and what could be done about it?
  • black-saturnblack-saturn
    13.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I converted to a water meter about 2 years ago and I'm about £150 per year better off. I'm a lone parent with 2 children.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • skintchickskintchick Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just about to have one fitted. Hope to save around a tenner a month. More if I can persuade my lodger to have showers instead of baths, but think that may be a losing battle! She already thinks I'm weird for drying my clothes on an airer instead of using the tumble drier, and that recycling is odd!! She's from SA. Maybe they don;t do recycling and energy efficiency over there?
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • I want to get one but we pay £8.50 a month for water supply, and this seems very low anyway from what others have said, so maybe I wouldn't save.
  • OK, I have just used the calculator that Martin references in his article. I'm confused.

I pay £185.42 this year for water services, and £68.22 for water supply, =£253.64. It says I can save £75 a year, which is 30%.

But why does it ask for water supply AND water services? What do water services have to do with it, I thought the point was that I was charged per unit of water? But that can't be the point, if I am saving more than I would be charged to supply the water. :confused:
  • My mu mlives alone . She saves loads of money every year by having a water meter fitted.
    Can't resist a bargain.........
  • Gem_Gem_ Forumite
    495 Posts
    Buy is not great if you dont know your rates, it estimated mine as £300 from my postcode. When I checked I am only paying £185!

So a word of warning to make sure you have all your details handy.
  • apsieapsie Forumite
    26 Posts
    Waterbaby - it's probable that water services is your sewerage charge. When you are on a meter it is assumed that your sewerage costs will equal your water usage (as what goes in must come out!)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides