Water bills cost cutting article

Options

Comments

• waterbaby
    waterbaby Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are separate companies though, my water services and water supply. The water services company doesn't have anything to do with the meter do they?
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter and her husband have a water meter and 2 children under 7.

Their water bills are twice as high as ours unmetered.
  • square-eyes
    Options
    I had a meter fitted a few years ago and I think it has saved me hundereds of pounds. As the sewerage charges are based on your metered supply, (what comes in must go out), if you can prove that water supplied does not go out you can get a discount on your sewerage charge. As I have a large garden that needs a lot of water in the Summer (hose pipe bans permitting), I submitted 1 years worth of meter readings at 1 month intervals. The water company worked out what went onto the garden. I now get a 27% discount on my sewerage charge as well as the surface water disposal rebate. My annual charge is about £150 p.a. :rotfl:
  • dava123
    dava123 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    hi im new here we are on a water meter (anglian water)and somebody told us about aqua care because we have tree young children and get tax credit i applied for it and now we are saving £10 a month :D hope this helps somebody there must be other water compines doing something like this trouble is they dont tell you so you have to find out yourself
    good luck
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    dava123 wrote:
    hi im new here we are on a water meter (anglian water)and somebody told us about aqua care because we have tree young children and get tax credit i applied for it and now we are saving £10 a month :D hope this helps somebody there must be other water compines doing something like this trouble is they dont tell you so you have to find out yourself
    good luck

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/index.php?sectionid=35&contentid=63
  • waterbaby
    waterbaby Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As the sewerage charges are based on your metered supply,

Is this true if the supply and the sewage companies are separate? Is the supplying company going to inform the sewage company of how much water I use?

I estimated that I could save more than I pay the water supply company. So either the supply company informs the sewage company, or I'm underestimating what I use. Perhaps I should keep a 'water diary' for a month to see. It'll be interesting getting people to record when they have used the toilet...
  • Jackiekaren
    Options
    I've had a water meter fitted in 2 houses now. In the first my bills went from £26 per month to £8 and I still got a refund when I left! In the 2nd house, it went from £49 per month to £14. I'm in a 1 bed house on my own. (Sad I know). But what a saving!
    My mantra is simple: If I don't help myself first, I shouldn't expect it from others. If I don't like something, I will change it. If I can't change it, I will learn to deal with it.

I accept responsibility for my own actions and my own situation. A sense of entitlement is not healthy and will only lead to consistent disappointment.
  • Ginky_2
    Options
    We moved in 2000 from a new build house that automatically came with a water meter to one without and had one installed as soon as we could! The water rates per month, based on our rateable value were £507 pa, on average with the water meter we have paid £285 pa, despite being a family of 4, with 2 young children and on average using shower twice per day, one bath per day, dishwasher every other day, washing machine for at least 6 loads a week.

We are out at school/work most days, but even so we would have to go some to be rack up our costs to the equivalent of the rateable value based version!
    :confused:
  • Louise_Timlin
    Options
    When I moved house last year we changed to Southern Water and had to pay £48.75 per month for our water supply. There are 2 of us in our house. We changed to a water meter and currently pay £4.95 per month. A massive annual saving of £525.60!!!
  • marionm_2
    Options
    Someone told me that with two or more children under 18 you can get metered water capped at £300. Does anyone know if this is true and what you do to qualify.

Hi South West Water can capp bills if you are on benefits, and have a medical condition which means you use more water, OR you have three or more dependent children under the age of 19.

Not sure what they may do in your area, but it is always worth asking if they have any schemes
    Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport