Water bills cost cutting article

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Its called the "So Low" tarriff, you pay no standing charge but the price per unit is alot higher.

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/index.php?sectionid=35&parentid=14&contentid=62&pager=1#ptop
  • Kzlnd
    Kzlnd Posts: 548 Forumite
    I live with my partner in a 2 bed apartment, it's a new build and has a water meter.

We're supplied by Yorkshire Water = poor quality of water and disgustingly high water/sewage charges.

I cannot believe the bills we receive! I work with schools & manage their water accounts.. we're paying MORE than some schools in our area for the same period !!!!!!?!

Meter deff does not work for us! Nor does direct debit.. YW are very well known for not taking meter readings for over 3 yrs in some cases..
    Paying 'made up' bills, I think not.
    The £2.00 Coin Savers Club = approx £22.00 :rolleyes: :j.. The 20p Savers Club = £17.80.

:j
    x
  • My boyfriend metered his supply, but then had someone staying for a few months (while they waited to complete on their house).
    He's just had the new meter monthly charge through for this year, and they've based it on the period when he had the person staying... and have in turn upped his bill!
    Has anyone got any advice on how he can get this lowered back again?
    Any advice greatly appreciated! :confused:
  • deanos
    Take 2 reading 7 days apart and ring them in they might then reduce it, but use water in the normal way or you might be paying too little
  • 123xyz
    123xyz Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We are a family of two adults and one child, with a shower, rainwater butt, modern sanitary system and a water meter supplied by Anglian Water.

I have spoken to several people in a similar situation (although everyone else seems to have two children) and they are all paying in the region of £29-£31 per month.

I am extremely mean with water, reusing un-drunk glasses to water indoor plants etc, but we are paying A MASSIVE £54 PER MONTH.

I have done the leak test on the advice on Anglian Water, but the dial is NOT going round when no water being used, so I assume we do not have a leak.

Can anyone help? This is a huge expense per month and I cannot help thinking that it is not right.

Thanks in anticipation.
    Just off the border of your waking mind, there lies another time ....
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Your higher usage compared to other people you've spoken to could be due to some of the following.

Shower - Is this a power shower as they use a heck of a lot more water than a standard shower?

Washing machine - some people find they need to use it everyday, others just twice a week.

Dishwasher, like the washing machine it guzzles water. The best & most economic dishwasher is one on legs, the human variety.

Do you leave taps running whilst cleaning teeth or washing/shaving etc? This is a terrible waste of water that you are paying for.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • ads_2
    ads_2 Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you get a meter fitted and it ends up costing more, is there any way of reversing the decision and have the water meter removed?
    something missing
  • deanos
    ads wrote:
    If you get a meter fitted and it ends up costing more, is there any way of reversing the decision and have the water meter removed?

You have 12 months to decide if you want to go back after having it fitted, this does not apply if you move into a property that is already metered.
  • I live in a 2nd floor flat on my own and requested a water meter. the guy took one look at the pipe and said i couldn't have a meter so he put me on a 'lonely person tariff' which was £10.50 a month. Which was great! Now i've had a letter saying they've reviewed the usuage off all those who have water meters and now say the usage is higher than previously estimated! As a result my bill's gone up 56%!!? What!!?? How has that got anything to do with me!? I was told when i rang them that people who have meters generally live in houses. I live in a flat, with no garden so how does that represent me??!

I would appreciate any help on this. :mad:
  • deanos wrote:
    Maybe if you are on benefits, definately not available if you are not.
    Thames Water has savings for those who have skin conditions -presumably ones like eczema and psoriasis but need to be/use a water meter to obtain it. Also for disabled and people who have high needs for water use. If any problems with water board one can go to Water Voice who will interceed for you.Also get money back if water off more than 2 times in a month-I got £25 back. Need to go into these a bit.Chris G
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure