edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
173 replies 24K views

Replies

• oldwiringoldwiring Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Per uswitch site
    re there any circumstances where a customer can't switch to a water meter?
    Most households in England, Wales and Scotland are entitled to a free meter from their water company on request. However, there are circumstances when a water company can refuse to install a meter if it is unreasonably impractical or expensive to do so - if shared water supply pipes need to be separated, for example.
    In situations like this, if the customer is willing to pay for the necessary work then the water utilities company may still install the meter free of charge.
    If it is impossible to have a meter installed, then your water company should offer you an 'assessed charge' where you pay a bill based on an estimate of your water supply usage or what other metered customers in your area pay for their water utilities, or you can carry on paying an unmeasured bill based on the RV of your property.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJB wrote:
    Hello- I've just been told by Thames Water that they dont do an 'assessed charge bill' as mentioned in the original article.
    Does anyone know if this is correct?
    All they offer is a 'minimum fixed charge bill' of £245 which I know must be way over what my usage is- I have a 2 bed flat with 2 people, no dishwasher, almost never have baths, only showers etc.
    They say i cant get a meter because its a block of flats with common supply.

i hope this one hasnt been covered previously, but can anyone give any suggestions?

Thanks

245 pounds is not unreasonable as an average for 2 people. To be fair you cannot expect any water company to make assessments on anything other than an average for that type of property. They have no way of knowing(or proving) how many people live in the property, what your useage is etc etc.

Is their min fixed charge higher or lower than your charges based on rateable value?
  • oranabanaoranabana Forumite
    240 Posts
    MJB wrote:
    Hello- I've just been told by Thames Water that they dont do an 'assessed charge bill' as mentioned in the original article.
    Does anyone know if this is correct?
    All they offer is a 'minimum fixed charge bill' of £245 which I know must be way over what my usage is- I have a 2 bed flat with 2 people, no dishwasher, almost never have baths, only showers etc.
    They say i cant get a meter because its a block of flats with common supply.

i hope this one hasnt been covered previously, but can anyone give any suggestions?

Thanks

I like to second that. I live in London, N4 in a shared two bed flat. We have no dishwasher, no car to wash, never have baths, due to crap boiler and use water sensibly otherwise. Still Thames Water wants GBP 27.00/month for the previledge of paying huge profits to their bosses and have a super leaky network of piping....

Very angry with these guys! (can't have a meter, as there is only one stop valve to the whole building (three flats).

Any ideas, much welcome....
  • EagerLearnerEagerLearner Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oranabana - doesn't sound like there is much you can do. I had a similar situation with Seeboard recently tho and found out that they were basing our usage on 'average' stats and had all the boxes ticked on all appliances on theor screen! I made her go through the list with me, and when she realised we did not have a dryer, dishwasher, microwave, bla bla, amended our file and we got a considerable reduction in our bill from the date that we moved into the property. Could you do the same with the water company at all or is the charge really fixed with no chance?

EagerLearner
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • oranabanaoranabana Forumite
    240 Posts
    ...I made her go through the list with me, and when she realised we did not have a dryer, dishwasher, microwave, bla bla, amended our file and we got a considerable reduction in our bill from the date that we moved into the property. Could you do the same with the water company at all...

EagerLearner

I guess it be worth a try... I am thinking to get a plumber and get a stop valve fitted for the flat we live in. Any ideas how much a plumber may charge for this?!

Will call them again though... any one else had any expereince of ticking items on a charge list with Thames Water?
  • cadacecadace Forumite
    15 Posts
    If some water companies are declaring droughts this year, surely in the areas affected the customers are getting a reduced service. Therefore are they not entitled to a large rebate due too water companies failing to provide a full service?

i.e if your mobile provider could not provide overseas calls or some such would you still pay for a full service?

No I dont think so, or have I missed a page along the way?

;) :rotfl:
  • murphydavidmurphydavid Forumite
    772 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Warning you may not want waste your time reading the rest of this cynicism?

As far as I can tell the water companies have a monopoly and are hand in hand with the government. So they are always allowed to recoup their costs, have money for development and make a profit. If you are due a rebate for drought rules then so is everyone in your area. Assuming the water company gave it to you all then they would immediately put up overall prices on the basis that they are allowed to maintain their profits and you are back to square one except you now have to pay for five new employees and several computers brought in to administer the hand out and recoup of moneys. You can’t win against water companies.
    The same really applies when you have a water meter. You get a “free” meter having decided that your bill will be cheaper and it is for a while. The other guy stays on rateable value or whatever because he finds that cheaper. If everyone does it then the water company are in danger of having less income. Once again they immediately put up overall prices on the basis that they are allowed to maintain their profits. So the formula is the same as ever. Those who get cheaper water are being subsidised by those who are not alert enough to work out what’s in their own best interest. The water companies remain unaffected except they diverted your attention for a year or two and yes have added a whole new level of management.
    The only way we can all save is if the water companies become more efficient and stop waste.
    So what’s best?
    Spend our money to put in water meters so that we will all concentrate on that rather than on the poor management.
    Spend our effort on talking about droughts when it’s pouring with rain, my grass is growing 3 inches a day and I cant mow the lawn without turning it into a swamp. If that’s a drought then try going to Africa.
    Or how about provide me with a tanker so I can drive it to the nearest local leaking pipe and get enough water to last me the rest of my life.
    Every week I see impromptu rivers springing up. Last week part of Horsell common was turned into a large lake and as soon as that leak was repaired another lake appeared just quarter of a mile away. Enough manpower arrived and traffic congestion, tea tents, temporary viewing points, traffic lights, generators, cardboard cut-outs of navies (I think they were cut-outs they didn’t move) and the rest of the paraphernalia to replace the whole main, but what have we got. Two short sections of new pipe and the remainder just waiting to erupt all over again.
    But lets not talk about that and upset the water board. Lets talk about the drought. Anyone notice a sand storm? A dead tree? Bleached bones? A whole day of sun?
  • miaggimiaggi Forumite
    50 Posts
    Hi, just wanted to pass on a useful tip.

I am on a meter in the anglia water region and recently received my bll and for the first time I actually read the little leaflet that they send out with it.

I discovered that the actually have 3 different tariffs, I switched to their SoLow tariff which has no standing charge but is based solely on the no. of units used - which for me is not many cos I live alone in a small house and am quite water saving conscious - and have saved loads, it has cut my monthly direct debit to a miniscule £8 per month!!!
    2014 – Le Creuset utensils, DVD
  • robin58 wrote:
    Hi All

Another thing to ask for is to see if there is a different charge if you use less.

With Anglian water my Sewage provider, I was using less than thier 75 cubic meters litres of water limit and got a reduction of 50%!

It maybe not for everybody as they charge slightly higher rates.

It will need a calculation to see if it's worth it for you.

Because I'm with Essex & Suffolk the water supplier, I got an even better deal as they charge their own water price rates for water only.

As for saving money on my bill. My Last full Rateable value bill was £240 that was 2000. Been paying since, about £80 per year!

One word of warning if you change from rateable to meter. If you are on a monthly account cancel it. I was told when I changed that I would have to pay a monthly payment that worked out to be the full rateable value of the last year which was £240. Any credit paid back at the end of the year.

I had worked out at the time I would most proberly be using £120 on the meter. I wanted the money in my pocket not thiers!

My advice if they won't reduce your payments is to do what I did. Went for the bill to sent to me, paid it over the counter in a bank. Once I had a 'usage record' went pack onto monthly, paying a more reasonable payment.

Hi,
    My annual bill based on rateable value was £349 per annum in 2005.
    I had a meter installed in November of that year. I gave Yorkshire Water an estimate of my usage for the following 12 months, and based on that, they sent me a rebate for the remainder of the year to April 1st. and then set up a standing order based on my own estimate.
    I am currently well below even that estimate as we have tried really hard, not just to save money, but also for the enviroment. We expect to save around £200 pounds this year, and perhaps will help save thousands of acres from being turned into resevoirs. It takes a little effort but is well worth it.
    The good side of it is, we don't smell any worse than before
  • We have on a meter since we moved into our first house never relised how much we were saving until we moved a few years later. We had our first rates bill in it was £35 a month, this was 10 years ago I am now paying £16 a month and I have 3 boys and a husband in the building trade so water is always running in our house for some reason or another. We are still so much better off and we have learnt to be carfull with water which has been a god send during this summer when water is so tight in our area. I would tell anyone to give a meter ago and see the diffrence:T
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals