Help- How do I cancel my Equifax account?

Options

Comments

• katie0905
    Options
    I am on day 29 of my trial and have phoned on their 0844 number TWICE, both times been reassured my account has been closed, both times received no email and can still log into my account. I have also emailed them but aren't holding out much hope of a reply.
    Any suggestions?
  • stewarta24s
    Options
    Thanks to those who posted earlier, I used the 0800 121 4752 number, git through to soneone straight away. She was difficult to understand at times, and she did try the hard sell on the web update thingy, but I just said I didn't want snything. She told me I would receive an email in a few minutes confirmibg my cancellation. 2 arrived, 1for the credit check and the other for the web thingy (1 year free).
  • Andy_Moo
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks for all the comments and information.

I've just cancelled my subscription after calling:
    [/FONT]0844 335 0550[FONT=&quot](number current on 2 July 2013).

I observed a 3-stage retention process.
    [/FONT]
    1. Firstly they ask you why you cancelled
    2. Then they offer a discounted rate £4.95 per month.
    3. Then right at the end they say, would you like to still get 12-month's free protection? They should explicitly state that after the 12-month period, you will then be charged £2.95 per month. But they mumble this part... so be very vigilant and cancel this too!
    It's a great service - just make sure you don't take the "free offer" as in 1-year you'll be wondering why you keep getting charged £2.95 per year!

Andy.
  • sweetfannyadams
    Options
    I've just phoned and cancelled mine - used 0800 0665825 which I found on saynoto0870 and got through to someone straightaway. VERY annoying voice, and she seemed to keep deliberately mishearing me - every time I gave her a reference number, she would get a digit wrong, and then on repeat, would get a different one wrong! Said she couldn't find my account, what was my email address. Gave her that, had to spell it five times, still couldn't find my account apparently, at which point I snapped and said I was logged in, so I clearly had an account, so she took a reference number from the online credit report and finally managed to find it .... No trying to sell me anything, and got an email through within a minute.
  • tankmc
    tankmc Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Andy_Moo wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks for all the comments and information.

I've just cancelled my subscription after calling:
    [/FONT]0844 335 0550[FONT=&quot](number current on 2 July 2013).

I observed a 3-stage retention process.
    [/FONT]
    1. Firstly they ask you why you cancelled
    2. Then they offer a discounted rate £4.95 per month.
    3. Then right at the end they say, would you like to still get 12-month's free protection? They should explicitly state that after the 12-month period, you will then be charged £2.95 per month. But they mumble this part... so be very vigilant and cancel this too!
    It's a great service - just make sure you don't take the "free offer" as in 1-year you'll be wondering why you keep getting charged £2.95 per year!

Andy.

Yep same deal. Got an american woman who was REALLY pushing the 12 month free protection even after I had said no twice. She was talking so fast i don't ACTUALLY know what it is or how much but i knew nothing in this world is free so i said no.

I had to at one point however interrupt her as she just kept going on about it to the point where i got quite frustrated.

Altogether though i was on the phone just under 5 mins.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just cancelled this.

Was asked why I was leaving, so told them why (don't want to pay)
    Then was offered half price at £7.45 a month. Said no thanks.
    Was then offered 1 year free alerts, as I was reading this thread I also said no thanks.

Total call time was 2 minutes 17 seconds and had the e-mail confirming the cancellation.
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    katykicker wrote: »
    Just cancelled this.

Was asked why I was leaving, so told them why (don't want to pay)
    Then was offered half price at £7.45 a month. Said no thanks.
    Was then offered 1 year free alerts, as I was reading this thread I also said no thanks.

Total call time was 2 minutes 17 seconds and had the e-mail confirming the cancellation.

Similar for me but I accepted the offer of one year free alerts... thought why not!
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • ludds123
    ludds123 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Did it today on the 0844 number. Hassle free, had to refuse the half price offer.... I also got offered the free alerts but realised that if I got an alert I wouldn't be able to resist looking at it and then would have to pay to find out what it was! Just told her once clearly I wanted NOTHING and got the email immediately confirming it.
  • Cekaelta
    Cekaelta Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just cancelled my free subscription (on 0844 number) It was as described above, very quick and easy (its a credit report reference rather than a transaction reference they need) and only a tiny bit of sale (I just said I didn't need it often and would use the statutory check when I did). I did accept the identity alerts, but am about to set myself reminders in several places to cancel well before it expires-I know I am organised to do it so it shouldn't be a problem, but I would tell them no if you think you will forget. All in it took less than 4 mins, wasn't on hold at all and the cancellation email has turned up straight away.
  • Slowfox
    Options
    I got a guy called Leon who seemed to develop a lot of trouble understanding me. I read the code slowly, waiting for him to respond after each 3 units and at the end of the code, he started asking me about the beginning. He asked me to repeat letters and numbers from the (very long) reference code and 4 or 5 times quite obviously deliberately mistaking d for b in my email address.

When I told him I called the freephone number he suddenly found my account. He didn't bother to try to sell me anything as by then I was very irritated. :mad:

I definitely won't use their site again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure