Help- How do I cancel my Equifax account?

Options

Comments

• tmulloy
    Options
    Equifax: Web link to cancelling information is here

equifaxuk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/274

It says that you must call this number - 0844 3350550
    Press option 3

You will be put through to a live agent, they will try to presuade you to stay on and ask why your leaving. Just state that you would like to close all subscriptions so that you do not have any charges.

Thats it!!
  • mrpants420
    Options
    I managed to cancel using 01248 542804. This goes straight through to the call centre with no menu. The call handler was very insistent that I should remain with Equifax for my protection. When I declined, they offered me a "free" online fraud protection service that is £2.99 per month after the first 12 months. They were quite put out when I declined the "free" offer. Very poor service, considering that it is supposed to be there for our protection.
  • nicolec92
    Options
    hi im not sure if this post is still active but ive just joined equifax and theyve asked me to call and answer questions before i get the credit report but at 5p minute i dont fancy being stuck on hold just to do that, im just wondering if i dont call will they still charge me, i cant cancel my account cause i havent got the report number yet so i dunno what to do :/ the site is so confusing and awkward :(
  • Stanley_Funk2
    Options
    Hi - having HUGE problems with Equifax:
    In September last year my 19 year old daughter was refused a student overdraft for her student account. I suggested that she checked her credit rating and she took up the Equifax 30 day free offer to get her credit report. All was fine. But now I've found out that she did not cancel and has been paying £8.99 per month for something she's not used since. It's made me feel so guilty for suggesting it in the first place! Anyway, I said we should get it cancelled pronto. But guess what - the web site does not recognise her details. So she rang them on Sunday and after some lengthy questions the man on the end of the phone said her account would be cancelled and that she would receive an email. But no email has arrived. So she rang them again this evening. This time a 25 minute tortuous conversation during which the Equifax call-centre man told her that he surname is wrong, that he will not make any changes to her account. He has said that she must submit scanned copies of her passport and a bank statement through their website and then they will decide if they can verify her identity. They will then email her to let her know if they have verifed her documents. She will then have to ring again and ask them to cancel her account. Now I can understand that they want to protect security but we don't have a scanner and all she wants them to do is cancel the account and stop them debiting her debit card each month. She has now written to Equifax via their web portal to ask them to cancel her account - we managed to find the original print out of her Credit Report receipt with the account reference on it. I hope this works. If not, I've advised her to speak to her bank and cancel her debit card. Then Equifax just won't be able to take her money. The customer service has been appalling and I'm so sorry that I ever suggested it to her. And my advice - avoid them at all costs.
  • Eskimo12345
    Options
    I had a very amusing experience after cancelling my Equifax account.

During the phone call there was the hard sell; after making it clear I wasn't interested and cancelling it, I asked how I could get a refund for the remainder of the month that I'd already paid for, and he gave me the support website address. After ending the phone call, I went to the website and was greeted by a login screen - and couldn't log in to ask about the refund as my account had been cancelled.

Well done Equifax, a superb example of SNAFU customer service!
    I am not really an Eskimo. I can hear what you're thinking... "Inuit!"
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I've just cancelled my £9.95 subscription. Been meaning to do it for weeks. The agent immediately offered me a 60% discount to continue.
    Still cancelled, but they left me with 12 months free email alerting. Can cancel at anytime, but after 12 months this costs £2.99 month. Will let this run for a while then cancel this too.
  • Gabitzatoader
    Options
    Hi, I just canceled my subscription,I got the confirmation mail but I can still log into my account. Is that normal or should my account be fully closed? Let me know so I can ring them straight away.
  • nightswimming
    Options
    Just rang the 0800 121 4752 number. Straight through to a very nice but hard to understand lady. As above, she tried to offer me half price and then the free 12 month tracking. If I hadn't read this thread I wouldn't have had a clue what I was being told though. Politely said no to everything and she cancelled without a fuss.
  • confusedmummy
    Options
    Can someone advise? My husband just opened a 30 day free trial with Equifax. All ok with his credit score.

However, he now wants to cancel. The problem is that for each of the "free" products he has been given a different ref number. When he looks in "my account" there is no reference number specifically for his account. He is worried that when he cancels, they will only cancel one part of the account and say he hasn't canceled the other parts. Does anyone know where to find the reference number which refers specifically to the account rather than the free reports you can get once the account is up and running?
  • slopemaster
    slopemaster Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just phone them; they're actually very helpful and will cancel it for you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts