Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• FredDibnahsFlatCap
    Options
    JerryW said:
    JerryW said:
    Other half and I moved into a new place at the end of last year and, well, didn't do enough shopping around and got nailed with a two year contract at 88p/l for two years. 

Naivete on our part for not realizing how things work with bulk LPG always having been on mains gas. 

An expensive lesson but one im sure we won't forget. 

Yes indeed. Who are you with? Whereabouts are you?
    It might not be too late to do something about it...
    Supplier is Flogas and we're in south lanarkshire.

First off, I recommend you phone flogas and ask to speak to the Manager in charge of sales. Tell them you seem to have got saddled with a bad contract because everyone else seems to be paying 50p/l or less. Be very polite but very persistent, if they say no ask them why, tell them you want to write it all down to pass on to online community, that sort of thing... ask them to quote the wholesale price ex refinery (currently c26p). I predict (and hope) they will offer some sort of concession.
    I assume you have signed a written contract, that sets out the price clearly? Is it truly a 2 year term, or a 12 months and then different for year 2 term?
    If you don't get anywhere, at that price it is worth working out the cost of breaking the contract. Read it, carefully ..
    I suppose you don't have a friend who is a qualified solicitor? Getting a third party to phone and quote the unfair contract terms act to them may work too..
    Keep us posted!
    Thanks for this. That's mostly the direction I was thinking of going too. We've signed a contract that, as you say, is fixed for first year then can rise by x ppl the second. I'll have to have another read of the contract in any case but nothing ventured nothing gained. 

If nothing else I think it might be fun to bask in the awkward silence of hearing someone try to justify that price.

We didn't really know any better and it was only when we started thinking about our cost per day that we thought "hang on a minute this doesn't seem right at all" but with moving house it was all a bit manic.

Thanks again for your advice I'll be sure to report back with any results or lack thereof! 
  • Powapa
    Powapa Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi All,

my contract runs out tomorrow with AvantiGas, have been with them for the past 4 years and never paid more than 37ppl, they have been really good and never let us down but just can’t be competitive with a renewal anymore they said and aren’t willing to compete with other quotes. Surely they must be losing so much business??

The quotes I’ve currently had are below with an underground tank, I’m not desperate for gas at the moment with 40% showing (will last me until June) so do I wait and see if prices fall coming into summer months or fix now as things aren’t looking to change? @JerryW seems to be the guru here!

AvantiGas - 55ppl for 12 month and the usual rises in the 2nd year £110 tank charge

Calor - 48.9ppl fixed for 12 months and the usual rises in the 2nd year £100 tank charge

Local independent 1 - 48ppl variable rate not fixed into a term and can leave whenever I want, £75 tank charge (prices change weekly with the market but they did say it’s not been above 50ppl for the past 6 months) 

Local independent 2 - 43ppl fixed for 1 year 2nd year variable rate £60 tank charge

LPG Save (Flogas) - 48ppl fixed for 2 years £80 tank charge 

LPG Save obviously seem to be the winner but haven’t heard great things about Flogas and with them being the most competitive prices at the moment will they cope with everyone signing up to them?

• JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 297 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Powapa said:
    Hi All,

my contract runs out tomorrow with AvantiGas, have been with them for the past 4 years and never paid more than 37ppl, they have been really good and never let us down but just can’t be competitive with a renewal anymore they said and aren’t willing to compete with other quotes. Surely they must be losing so much business??

The quotes I’ve currently had are below with an underground tank, I’m not desperate for gas at the moment with 40% showing (will last me until June) so do I wait and see if prices fall coming into summer months or fix now as things aren’t looking to change? @JerryW seems to be the guru here!

AvantiGas - 55ppl for 12 month and the usual rises in the 2nd year £110 tank charge

Calor - 48.9ppl fixed for 12 months and the usual rises in the 2nd year £100 tank charge

Local independent 1 - 48ppl variable rate not fixed into a term and can leave whenever I want, £75 tank charge (prices change weekly with the market but they did say it’s not been above 50ppl for the past 6 months) 

Local independent 2 - 43ppl fixed for 1 year 2nd year variable rate £60 tank charge

LPG Save obviously seem to be the winner but haven’t heard great things about Flogas and with them being the most competitive prices at the moment will they cope with everyone signing up to them?

So.. at present under 50p fixed for two years is looking like a respectable offer. (whereabouts are you, geographically? The SE seems better served than some areas). I am with Flogas at present (in Kent) and they have been fine. However, i am intrigued by your two local independents (that's two more than i have, at least that are competitive!)
    Local independent 2 is the best offer you have, depending of course on how prices go .. if you have the time and inclination, a bit more research into the two indies might be worth doing. Which companies are they? Online reviews, feedback, that sort of thing? Do you feel lucky? I might be willing take a punt, if they seem a reasonable company, (and try to have a brimful tank by month 12 :-) .. you may only need one tankful in year 2 if you are careful; and can monitor the price meantime.

Thank you for the compliment,  there are others here that know more than me. I do understand why some folks don't like the lpg market and i am sure it must feel like the wild west sometimes, especially if you are used to having all of your utility prices set for you, or via Uswitch at worst. But I really like the hands-on freedom and variety the market offers. There are bargains to be had; and though far from perfect, it is a proper marketplace - as your price quotes demonstrate!

Keep us posted! Information is strength! The more we know, the better we are able to negotiate and do well.

If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • Powapa
    Powapa Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks @JerryW, I’m based in the North West on the Welsh border. 

After having a think I have gone with the local independent 2 deal. After speaking to them about my worries in year 2 of the contract they stated “it is worth noting that customers who switched to us nearly 2 years ago are still only paying 43p as there has been no reason for us to increase the price”.

I moved into the house in 2018 and have never paid more than 37ppl. My ppl from 06/2018 to 04/2021 was 32ppl so I guess prices have to go up at some point and I feel lucky to have got it so cheap for so long. Calor for the first 2 years and then AvantiGas ever since. 
  • jamesg123
    jamesg123 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Avantigas statement regarding new customers 

Thank you for your interest in switching to AvantiGas, for the time being we're not quoting new domestic customers. We hope to be able to quote you in the near future, please continue to visit our website for updates.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,717 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Wonder what on earth Avanti are up to? We've been with them 4 years, and renewal quote in Feb was 55ppl + £66/yr in year 1, year 2 increase no more than 5ppl per 6 months. 

LPG Save got us an offer from Flogas of 48ppl + £59 ish, fixed for 2 years.

We obviously signed up to that, and the switch is going through now. 

Today Avanti sent me another email...

😂😂 Er, thanks, but no thanks 😂😂

Are they trying to put themselves out of business or something?
  • Badger04
    Badger04 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Powapa said:
    Hi All,

I have been with flogas for several years and have never been let down by them. They have increased availability of deliveries in the last year or so.
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 297 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Badger04 said:
    Powapa said:
    Hi All,
    <snip>

I have been with flogas for several years and have never been let down by them. They have increased availability of deliveries in the last year or so.
    I've never had a problem with Flogas either. Ordered a top-up recently at 25%, and it was delivered before it got to 20%. Sometimes I wonder if with the majors, there are regional variations from depot to depot.
    Repeating! - don't rely on or accept telemetry. Don't agree a regular monthly direct debit. Monitor your tank level and order a tankful online when it gets below 30%.

If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • tom_mse
    tom_mse Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would appreciate any and all feedback... is 50ppl, fixed for 2 years a decent rate right now? Bulk metered estate, around 30 homes in Kent.

Flogas shifted a little to get to that, but not convinced will go further. My sense is that it's a decent rate.. maybe not the very best but they are pretty good these days and a 2 yr fix very preferable when larger groups involved.

thx
  • LessImpecunious
    LessImpecunious Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, should have posted this a few days ago - Calor emailed us at the beginning of the week offering a 5p off per litre Spring Discount - dependent on ordering a full top-up before April 30th. Don't know whether this is available to all customers - just tried to check the website and its "currently down due to planned maintenance". Might be worth any Calor customers phoning and asking, even if you haven't been offered this, and would like a top-up :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback