Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• NewInTheCountry
    Options
    Hello,

Anyone out there currently in contract with Woldlink?

Before I sign up, I really want to get a few second opinions on whether they are better in general compared to Calor?

Anyone can give me some advice? Should I go with Calor or Woldlink for what to me seems a very long 2 year contract?

Thanks
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moyessi wrote: »
    .... an older LPG boiler setup....

So......I am resigned to the fact a new combi condensing boiler is required....

Why? New condensing boilers are much more efficient but they do not last very long, and can be expensive to repair.

My Vaillant is 25 years old - plus the GasSafe engineer is very conservative and only replaces the faulty part (he has needed to do this very infrequently). He's also a friend of more than 25 years' standing too! He says he looks after Vaillants that are 10 years older than mine.

So if the "older LPG boiler setup" works maybe you can keep it.

Am I responsible for more carbon by using an inefficient boiler and getting it repaired when necessary? I do not know the answer to this.
  • mcmullank
    mcmullank Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

Anyone out there currently in contract with Woldlink?

Before I sign up, I really want to get a few second opinions on whether they are better in general compared to Calor?

Anyone can give me some advice? Should I go with Calor or Woldlink for what to me seems a very long 2 year contract?

Thanks
    I am not sure what the current Woldlink contractual situation is but when I signed up, you are actually signing a Flogas contract with WoldLink pricing.

I moved from Calor to Woldlink as I was willing to take on the variable pricing that Woldlink was offering at the time. I believe that they are only offering 6 month fixes now.

I have had absolutely no problems with them over the winter, I just call them up, place and pay for the order and then Flogas turn up and fill the tank. Over the winter we get a delivery every 6 weeks or so and it is important to us that we receive our delivery promptly (we use over 2% of our 2000 ltr tank per day) so having a consistent delivery time is important to us and we have never waited more than 10 days.

The only downside with Woldlink is that it is cash on order which means that you either have to underestimate the amount of gas you require or if you pay for more than is delivered, you will get a refund (Woldlink do not carry balances). This can take a couple of weeks depending on when they get the paperwork from Flogas. With Calor you can use their budget plan to pay a monthly amount based on your estimated usage and price you pay. Although, you can do the same with a bank account the payment to Calor at least allows those that struggle to manage their money with a way of making sure that they have the funds to pay for the gas.

Overall, I would recommend Woldlink without hesitation and the staff (especially Robert) are easily to deal with and respond to my (frequent) requests for monthly prices without delay.
  • mcmullank
    mcmullank Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Why? New condensing boilers are much more efficient but they do not last very long, and can be expensive to repair.

My Vaillant is 25 years old - plus the GasSafe engineer is very conservative and only replaces the faulty part (he has needed to do this very infrequently). He's also a friend of more than 25 years' standing too! He says he looks after Vaillants that are 10 years older than mine.

So if the "older LPG boiler setup" works maybe you can keep it.

Am I responsible for more carbon by using an inefficient boiler and getting it repaired when necessary? I do not know the answer to this.

Absolutely this.

I was using a 30 year old Ideal Mexico FS boiler that packed up over Christmas and was replaced solely due to the lack of replacement parts (cracked burners).

The boiler had no electronic boards and everything was mechanical controls. Simple to fix and reliable as hell. I certainly don't expect to see the same life out of my new mega-efficient condensing boiler.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2016 at 7:53AM
    Options
    mcmullank wrote: »
    Overall, I would recommend Woldlink without hesitation and the staff (especially Robert) are easily to deal with and respond to my (frequent) requests for monthly prices without delay.

This .... /|\ ...
  • meagan
    meagan Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I have received a letter from calor with 3 options
    1 variable price at 35p
    2 fixed price 36p until 30th april 2017 with contract extension
    3 fixed price 37p until 30th april 2018 with contract extension

my contract is up in sept.and i was wondering if this is a trick to get me to sign up earlier .has anyone else received a letter also does anyone know of any better offers,your thoughts would be very welcome
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mcmullank wrote: »
    Absolutely this.

I was using a 30 year old Ideal Mexico FS boiler that packed up over Christmas and was replaced solely due to the lack of replacement parts (cracked burners).

The boiler had no electronic boards and everything was mechanical controls. Simple to fix and reliable as hell. I certainly don't expect to see the same life out of my new mega-efficient condensing boiler.

My LPG Baxi Bermuda back boiler is now 34 years old. It may only be 65% efficient but all it costs/has cost me is the £40 annual service charge plus one gas valve (£50) and one thermocouple (£8) over that period. There are no electronics to go wrong - and I can still get parts for it if necessary.

As others have said on here, a modern condensing boiler may be more efficient, but will not last anywhere near as long.
  • bobmac62
    bobmac62 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would also recommend WOLDLINK as a better than the average LPG supplier for pricing information and general customer service. I have been a customer of most of the major and minor players since 1993 and currently enjoy a fair price in my opinion.

Incidentally, the price for May 2016 from WOLDLINK IS 22.74 ppl + 5% VAT, a very slight reduction from April.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bobmac62 wrote: »
    Incidentally, the price for May 2016 from WOLDLINK IS 22.74 ppl + 5% VAT, a very slight reduction from April.

There was bound to be a reduction - I ordered in March as I was sure that the price would rise!!!!! :o
  • 1517sharps
    1517sharps Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Megan i have received the following letter as well, my contract ends in December. I'm looking at changing supplier. I live near Kinross.

I have received a letter from calor with 3 options
    1 variable price at 35p
    2 fixed price 36p until 30th april 2017 with contract extension
    3 fixed price 37p until 30th april 2018 with contract extension

my contract is up in sept.and i was wondering if this is a trick to get me to sign up earlier .has anyone else received a letter also does anyone know of any better offers,your thoughts would be very welcome
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback