July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 304.7K views

Replies

• busy_mum_4busy_mum_4 Forumite
    110 posts
    Le_Foot wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've been off line for about 4 weeks. I got the 'all clear' from having a HUGE Ovarian Cyst removed...

Brilliant news that you are now on the mend:j

All the best:wave:
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • busy_mum_4busy_mum_4 Forumite
    110 posts
    [quote=Ches;1223873_I_do_buy_special_offers_from_the_local_smkts,_in_fact_thats_how_I_shop._I_go_round_all_the_smkts_in_turn_(not_all_in_the_same_week)_and_stock_up_on_the_stuff_I_use_regularly_that_are_on_offer_plus_any_bits_I_need.[/quote]

I shop like this every week, glad to hear i'm not alone.:j
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • ChesChes Forumite
    1.1K posts
    NSD again for me today.

ditto Busymum. Much better than buying the same bits every week.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • chocolateteddychocolateteddy Forumite
    504 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Oh well have just managed to catch up, was pages behind!! Had a bad week DD10 had operation on tuesday, so spent all day at hospital (very boring just sitting around) but they did let me eat in staff canteen at staff prices- not bad meal! DD is fine and home now and hobbling round insisting I bake. Then yesterday finally defrosted freezer It is now twice the size it was! Was lucky I was able to take stuff round sister's. Remembered to wipe round freezer with fabric conditioner before switching it back on again so hopefully shouldn't take 2 hrs next time!!!!!
    Then today DD6 managed to walk into a window at school and cut her head open another trip to hospital and a&e Cost £2.50 for car park!!!!!!!!! But on the plus side no time to go anywhere near shops!!!! So once I round up my receipts from monday I will update signature.
    Tesco also sent me some money off vouchers £2 off £20 spend (Low spend needed to entice me back as I hardly go there- only went to use moc from the sun) Got 6 weeks worth. Right, off to ice buns for church fayre tomorrow
    TTFN
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• Thank you so much to everyone who made suggestions for my easy-fix lunches! :T
    Sian the Green
    : you reminded me that I've got a toasted sarnie maker in the back of a cupboard - fab idea!
    Teedy23: I will definitely have baked potatoes for lunch because OH and DS don't like them so we don't have them at tea time, so thanks for that.
    zoe260373: Yes salmon & potatoes is a good idea, especially coz the potatoes in our garden are ready now, and real gooduns!
    OrkneyStar: Thanks for your encouragement.
    scaredy cat: Thanks for the hummus suggestion. OH is currently at Tesco so I've just texted him to ask him to get some!
    catnap53: Mum is glad you agree with her that I shouldn't be watering down my milk at the mo. I'm pleased too, coz I'm glad to know there are ways I can try to improve my health.

Just gotta see how the budget is affected, but with all the meat, fish & cheese Mum bought, I think we've saved more than I'll be spending on extra milk.
    Thanks again everyone - you're brill!! :T:beer::T:beer::T
  • mumzyof2mumzyof2 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    I have spent £3.15 today in netto on dinner stuff for me, my 2 kids, my friend and her DD.

Can i ask? I have put a tesco order in and total came to £86.00, I put a ecoupon in for £9 off a £80 spend..so that took it down to £78. But i have loads of BOGOF's and half price items..so when these do come off its going to bring it to about £50...will they still let me have the £9 off ecoupon?
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • mumzyof2mumzyof2 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Le_Foot wrote: »
    For anyone interested, I have been making fatfree yogurt in a thermos flask (no need for a yogurt maker)for the last month. I reckon it costs me 50p for a litre. I sweeten it with artificial sweetener, or honey, and add whatever fruit I have available. Here is my proven recipe:-
    1 Litre of Skimmed UHT Milk heated to blood temperature ( like the milk you would feed to a baby---2 mins in microwave).
    I scald a flask with boiling water, this firstly steralise's it, and heats it). Empty out immediately.
    Add 2 tablespoons of skimmed dried milk (to the warmed milk), and 2 tablespoons of natural, fat free, live, probiotic yogurt. ( I bought a tub of Yeo Valley from Asda for 50p.)
    Pour into the flask and screw on lid for at least 8 hours. turn into a tub and chill in fridge. It keeps for at least 4 days to my knowledge. Remember to keep at least 2 tablespoons for your next culture.
    I read that you could make 'Set Greek Yogurt' by straining it through a coffee filter...Yes I tried it..and yes it works. BUT I lost too much yogurt to the filter...not worth it in my opinion.
    If you need any more info....please ask.

where would i get a thermos flask from and how much are they? im going to look on amazon in a mo. also could you use tinned fruit instead of fresh? how would i go about mixing bananas in to the yogurt? and anything hard?
    How big of a theroms flask? would 0.5L be enough? or 1 litre?

can you add this to first post too in the recipe bit please niki
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • Hiya guys, :beer:
    not been around for a while, have about 20 pages or more to catch up on. Have decided that my trip to the PYO fruit farm yesterday wasn't such a bargain @ £7.50 but you live and learn. I'm freezing the gooseberries and some of the strawberries but have used them up for strawberries and cream twice x2 and with cerials twice x2. Have you any suggestions for something different.
    Today was another NSD and hopefully so will tomorrow be :j

Luck to all the newbies (like me) out there and thanks:T to everyone who helps us, and boy do we need it eh:rotfl: :rotfl: xxx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks LeFoot for the yoghurt recipe
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• fertyskidsfertyskids Forumite
    138 posts
    Hi everyone.

made a huge (filled my two largest casserole dishes) shepherds pie. just need to add more potatoes and freeze it . next week i have four students to feed on top of my family so nine in all. so thankyou so much for all your help. i definately would not have made this without you!! Especially denise!!

im still feeling anxious the meal plan changes daily, due to not being syre if hubby will eat things and time etc. but im only swopping days so i hgope it will still work out. tonight i gave them fish, chips peas and sweetcorn rom the frezer the first freezer meal for a week (we were living off them) i was tied after cooking for the freezer and kids.

not sure what to do tomorrow,

i splurged today on anice new very big slow cooker. mine was tiny struggled to fit a meal for hubby and kids, uid eat something else. now i can cook for everyone and save some for the freezer. any ideas of what i can do in it, not spag bol..... or soup!! Hubby too nervous after my last attempt.

anyway i always feel a bit better after reading how everyone else is doing. i just couldnt do this on my own

off to bed soon i think

karen