July 2008 Grocery Challenge

1302303304305306308»

Comments

• Just back from hols - boy oh boy you lot chat so much :rotfl: I still have 200 posts on this thread to read - and I haven't even ventured into the Augst thread yet.

Nikki, my July Spend is £204.24 and my August Budget will be £150 as there are only 3 weeks left.

Okay, off to read the rest of the posts - don't want to miss out on anything.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • Just totalled up July as I am sooooo unorganised

£66.15 thank you:D
  • vronbh1
    vronbh1 Posts: 17
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Moniker wrote: »
    I was looking through my old recipes and came across these - haven't made them in ages but they always used to go down well in this house.

Moniker’s Malt Bread

This is more of a ‘tea bread’ or cake than actual bread – but nice sliced and spread with butter and quite economical

8oz SR flour
    1tsp bicarbonate of soda
    ¼ pt milk
    2 tbsp malt extract
    2 tbsp golden syrup
    1 egg beaten
    4 oz sultanas

Sift the flour and the bicarb together. Place the milk and the malt extract and syrup in a saucepan and heat gently stirring until blended together. Add to the flour with the egg and beat until smooth. Stir in the dried fruit. Pour into a greased and lined 1lb loaf tin ( I always use a 2lb as that’s the only size I’ve got and it’s fine). Bake at 190C or gas mark 5 for 45 -50 mins.

Bran Fruit Loaf
    Another tea bread type thing – I think I got the recipe off the Kelloggs packet!

4oz Bran Buds or All Bran or similar
    5oz caster sugar
    10oz mixed dried fruit
    ½ pt milk
    4oz SR Flour

Put bran, sugar and dried fruit into a bowl and mix well together. Stir in the milk and leave to stand for half an hour. Sieve in the flour, and mix well together. Pour the mixture into a wel-greased 2lb loaf tin. Bake at 180C gas mark 4 for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours.

Both these recipes freeze ok too. I like to slice them when cold and wrap the slices in baking parchment or greaseproof paper so that they don’t stick together. That way you can take them out of the freezer as you need them rather than having them eaten all at once!
    I've been looking for the All Bran tea bread cake for ages ... thank you xx it's lovely with real butter !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure