PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• galadriel
    galadriel Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, I am declaring £116.39 for July, well under my budget. I get paid on Thursday and shouldn't need to go near a shop until the weekend as we have plenty in and I am on holiday and am having a very lazy time. I have no intention of smartening myself up to go shopping :D Off to the August thread now with a lower budget of £150.
  • philsmum
    philsmum Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Angelnikki.

I am declaring a massive £226.60 for July.

Will try a lot harder in August. Please put me down for £160.00.
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm still holding out until 31st 'just in case' but am now a bit more confident that I can make the household last without any more bananas between now and Friday. But I need to keep baking fruit cookies as compensation, meaning that my store of dried mixed fruit, sultanas and raisins will need replacing much sooner than expected. So much for thinking I had enough in the baking cupboard to last 6 months. :rolleyes: Fortunately, the extra costs involved in replenishing the dwindling baking stock shouldn't impact on my general grocery budget, I still have the £10 Asda voucher that I got with my Euroffice points. :j I just need to wait for the next time I'm anywhere near an Asda store. :rotfl:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all :hello:

Just had my last MrT delivery for July. Came to £78.75 after the £10 discount :D

Total for July £356.34/£375 :j

Nikki x
    :A
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Well done Angelnikki and everyone for their achievements this month!!
    :T :T
    SFT AND OB
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • toottifrootti
    toottifrootti Posts: 6,427 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    hope everybody is doing ok!
    I have been reading your posts but havent posted as I am not starting until august. I have already given my challenge amont to angelnikki.
    I am still trying to work out menu for at least 2 weeks - hopefully 4 from my extensive list of recipes (4!!:rotfl: ) - i have been reading your menu planner thred - angelnikki - and got some ideas from that too.

Was thinking about having a go at making some biscuits - do they work out cheaper? - can someone please tell me the name of the one that everybody raves about so I can look at the recipe - is it the same one that was featured in the newsletter? And is it EASY as I am useless!!:rotfl:

Trying to work out menus etc so I can do an online shop for the bulk of it as I have no transport so then I would just have to top up - do you think this is a good idea or would I be better to shop in person and check for reductions/ offers etc?
    TF xx:confused::confused::confused:
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last
    DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya Toottifrootti :hello:

The most popular OS biscuits are Twink’s Hobnobs (featured on the newsletter) They are quite easy to make and are really yummy :D When you make them just make sure you do small balls of the mix the size of walnuts and then flatten them between your hands before placing on the greased/lined baking sheet. The recipe makes enough to fill about 3 baking trays (or 1 tray 3 times lol) I get 50 from the mix.

Or for savoury biscuits I think the easiest are my Cheesy Biscuits ;)

I always shop online (MrT) and find it really good as I can update my list throughout the week and keep up to date with all the offers. Also if you look on the discounts thread you can usually find a money off code for your shopping to cover at least the cost of delivery. This week I found a code for £10 off

HTH & Good Luck :)

Nikki x
    :A
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Tootifrootti
    Lots of people on the thread have deliveries and find they really help. Money off coupons for certain spends can be found on the discount, vouchers thread.
    Whoopsie hunting is great fun if you are close, have the time, a flexible menu planner and don't rely on an item being reduced (when you need it, it never is).
    I can't really help about the biscuits being cheaper but the twink hobknobs everyone raves about are on angelnikki's menu list on the first page, just click on the name and the recipe appears.
    HTH
    SFT

Angelnikki - great minds eh!
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • chocolateteddy
    Options
    Phew don't come on for a few days and find august up and running Well I'm really pleased to say I AM UNDER BUDGET:j first time ever and AM DECLARING £307.37 FOR JULY Yippee Off on holiday on friday for 10 days so should be an interesting month Nikki Please put me down for £280 for August.Have some money put away for food for holiday but we will have to see how we go. Not even going to attempt to catch up Off to Aug thread I expect that is already long so see you all when I get back:rotfl:
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone., I'm declaring for this month declare £194.00 July 2008.
    That's £26 under budget (I allowed £220 for this month) so I'm a happy bunny
    Count me in for august please August budget £220 (again)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing