New Post Advanced Search

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 304.7K views

Replies

• mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    manged to get this far into the month with nsd's:T .
    shopping day tomorrow so will be a big spend then i fear.

Ive got little toms and flowers in my hanging basket they are tumbling tom variety, the ones in growbags have just a few flowers so far.
    weve already had about 5 strawbs from th garden the ones in the manger (F1's ) are flowering and fruiting best the ones in the tub (cheaper different variety ) havent achieved a lot yet. Lettuces are doing well, as is the rocket, only just put the radishes in and the sweetcorn is big and thick and just starting to flower. oh and ive got a few cucumbers appearing on that plant. i must sow some more rocket and lettuce seeds so they are staggered out.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • annelouise_2annelouise_2 Forumite
    360 posts
    NEWLYWED

The 1 fillet and 2 1/2 potatoes would make 4 decent sized ones to go with chips,peas or salad and be a decent meal.I make smaller so they can always have more and if not freeze as leftovers for a mix and match tea somewhere in the menu plan - dd9 hates cheese sauce,dd8 loves bolognese and any veg in a cheesy sauce,ds4 is suspicious of lentils so I have to boil and blitz before popping in to bulk out bol,lasagna,chili.So I can easily throw 3 little containers into microwave and give extra veggies for all.

You'll find it on Sainsburys Feed a Family for a fiver......

Had houmous on a slice of cheese for my lunch - healthy or what....

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • susan946susan946 Forumite
    474 posts
    Busy_mum wrote: »
    :j
    ( IS ANYONE ELSE GROWING TOMATOES AND IF YOU ARE HAVE YOU TOMATOES FORMED YET OR ARE THEY STILL FLOWERS) :question:

My 4 plants have baby tomatoes on - one cherry, one beefsteak, one ordinary and one plum.

We are eating some of our potatoes - grew aran pilot (a first early) in pots on the patio. They are delicious - highly recommended. We also have charlottes but they were later going in, take longer to mature and are only just in flower.

Just finished all the lettuce we have for the moment and probably shan't plant any more just now as they don't like it too hot so July and August are difficult months for them.

The blueberries are ripening nicely but I had to rescue an adventurous blackbird that got in under the netting.

On a different topic - does anyone know a source of cheap dried sweetened cranberries? I have been getting them from Julian Graves but there must be somewhere cheaper.....We stir them into porridge for brekkie.
  • busy_mum_4busy_mum_4 Forumite
    110 posts
    rachelmk wrote: »
    Just a quick update on the spends - £1.29 on another 6 pack of Diet Coke. The offer ends tomorrow in my local shop.
    R

Hi, please could you tell me what shop this is at.:j
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • annelouise_2annelouise_2 Forumite
    360 posts
    newlywed

2 salmon fillets steamed over pan in colander or cooked quick in microwave
    4 baking potatoes peeled,boiled,cooled and mashed with 1 tablespoon milk,add fish,lemon zest ,season well.Shape into patties.Chill.

Cook after brushing with oil in hot oven 12-15mins

All off the top of my head

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • jackk_2jackk_2 Forumite
    288 posts
    scotsaver wrote: »
    Hi queen of string - thanks for this, I have just been over to the Tesco Misprices and posted this. As a side note, last time I was in Asda and was overcharged, they refunded me the difference but didn't give me the £2 giftcard they used to issue - do they still do this do you know?

Our Asda gives £2 giftcards when they over charge you, ive been given £12 worth in the last 6 weeks ish, watch those roll backs, they don't always go through the till at the right price :rolleyes: .

Jackie x
  • debbymdebbym Forumite
    460 posts
    ✭✭
    Just been to Morrisons - 9 packs of Pampers sensitive Baby wipes for £7 and Pampers pull ups BOGOF
  • nickynoo08nickynoo08 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

ended up popping to mr t's last night to get the few bits n pieces i'd missed off my main shop. I always manage to forget summat even when i have a list i dont know i do it!!! Anyway ended up spending £10.51 got triple velvet loo roll (on offer 6 rolls for 1.88), weetabix 2 boxes of 24 for £2 which is cheaper than tesco's hl, apples, banana's, onions and a few other bits. Was quite happy with what i got tho. Normally a tenner wouldn't have gone far at all. Will need to pop out at wk end and get some more milk.
    Was thinking of just buying full fat and watering it down. How much water would i need to add, we usually drink semi and i dont want my other half to notice. Any hint and tips more than welcome

Nicky
    £5093.07/£4027.9
    Pay my debt by Xmas 2020
    21.1% paid!
  • Le_FootLe_Foot Forumite
    162 posts
    Hi everyone,

I've been off line for about 4 weeks. I got the 'all clear' from having a HUGE Ovarian Cyst removed...(great fears that it was Cancer :j ). As soon as I was fit, we took off in our motorhome, not just for some R & R, but to get away from the incesant noise and heat from blowers & dehumidifiers drying out my concrete kitchen floor from a possible 5 year 'quiet' leak from my dishwasher :eek: .( Thank goodness for Insurance) Needless to say, my June challenge went more than somewhat 'pear-shaped'. So here we go again for July. Mrs. M., can you please put me down for £300 again. I've been shopping today, and spent £63, so now got £237 left. Hope I can keep within my set limit.:undecided .

Good luck everbody with your own personal challenge...the more difficult it becomes, the more determind we will be to 'beat it'. Just remember, what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. :A
    Feb. G.C. From Jan 26th £350.00
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
  • Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    nickynoo08 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

ended up popping to mr t's last night to get the few bits n pieces i'd missed off my main shop. I always manage to forget summat even when i have a list i dont know i do it!!! Anyway ended up spending £10.51 got triple velvet loo roll (on offer 6 rolls for 1.88), weetabix 2 boxes of 24 for £2 which is cheaper than tesco's hl, apples, banana's, onions and a few other bits. Was quite happy with what i got tho. Normally a tenner wouldn't have gone far at all. Will need to pop out at wk end and get some more milk.
    Was thinking of just buying full fat and watering it down. How much water would i need to add, we usually drink semi and i dont want my other half to notice. Any hint and tips more than welcome

Nicky

Hi Nicky,
    There has been a bit of a discussion on this and you may want to read some of the posts over on the last page. I have been watering mine down by 1/3rd and you can't taste the difference, but I would definitely read the info as before and think about it if you have young children.
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-