July 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 73

New Post Advanced Search

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 304.7K views

Replies

• angelnikkiangelnikki Forumite
    892 posts
    Catnap I completely agree with you on this one and always say on here that you shouldnt water down milk especially if little uns are drinking it/ if breast feeding. I drink value UHT skimmed milk and DS (21months) has fresh full fat milk. When he's 2 I'm gonna switch him to Semi Skimmed and when he's 5 he's gonna have skimmed like me & OH. I cut back on other things but not this as I think calcium is very important and too hard to get enough of elsewhere in a normal healthy diet. You cant put a price on health can ya?

poohbear59 on the MoneySaving in Marriages, Relationships & Families board, a lot of people say that a third is fair. (1/3 housekeeping, 1/3 savings, 1/3 to spend) HTH

fertyskids When I make cottage pie/ shepherds pie/ piggy pie I use:

500g steak mince/ lamb mince/ pork mince
    1 or 2 tins chopped tomatoes
    2 grated carrots
    2 handfuls of oats (+1/2 tin water)
    chopped onions
    2 handfuls frozen peas
    1 tin sliced carrots
    tomato puree
    tomato ketchup
    1 beef/lamb oxo cube
    rosemary/mixed herbs
    squirt of marmite
    plus any other veg I have
    u can add red split lentils to s-t-r-e-t-c-h further

this makes enough for 3 meals (for 3) (4 with the lentils) I freeze the mince mixture on its own and do the mash fresh each time, but you could freeze it topped with mash or freeze the mash seperately - it's up to you. HTH

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • hello peeps!

well i spent, £3 yesterday, £9.44 today and i know OH is taking a tenner out for the rest of the week and to last til next week thursday! so i've updated sig as appropriate. got some polenta, Brantson chickpeas in masala sauce (lazy lunch) and some veg, fruit and a whoopised milk in Mr S.
    they haven't reduced the supercook stuff yet so i didn't bother getting any extra.

have scrambled eggs for dinner ( forgot yesterday and had lemon curd on toast:D ) and have to make some soup tomorrow and some more rolls and maybe more brownies (nomnomnomnom)

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• susan946susan946 Forumite
    474 posts
    Just been to Mr T. Determined to use my NOTW token this time as I didn't spend enough on my last visit. I stocked up on cleaning things - dishwash tabs, liquid for the wm etc plus a whoopsie or two and spent £48.74 after using £8.50 in vouchers. Not too bad as I am now well stocked. Where to keep it all is the problem!!

They had Dettol spray cleaner at 2 for £3 which made it cheaper than own brand; also Tesco thick bleach, 2 for £1 and the Weightwatchers Yoghurt still at 2 for £2.50 - find the ww brand is low in sugar as well as fat and dh is diabetic.

Also been trying to drive more economically - getting to be a m.p.g. nerd!!! Up to 39.6 today from about 37, so it's going in the right direction. The target is 40.

Herbaholic - Tapioca? Yuck!!!!!:eek:
  • busy_mum_4busy_mum_4 Forumite
    110 posts
    :j I have just made my first weetabix cake, it's so easy to make.
    It is in the oven as I write so I will let you know later how it turns out:j

Just been into the garden to see how the sweetcorn plants are growing and they are just showing signs of making the corn cobs, I am growing them in a growbag and they are doing really well, although I have read somewhere on line that they prefer to get their roots down deep. I have one pepper in the greenhouse nearly ready to pick, and the tomatoes are just appearing.
    ( IS ANYONE ELSE GROWING TOMATOES AND IF YOU ARE HAVE YOU TOMATOES FORMED YET OR ARE THEY STILL FLOWERS) :question:
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    fertyskids wrote: »
    Hi

i used quorn and the oats, its great you definatley cant tell. hubby will never know.
    was very bland. i added another tin tom and beans. as well as garlic and salt and pepper. then i got lea and perrins on the way back from pre school it had to be done. now it tastes wonderful . thankyou so much

how many do you think it will normally serve
    and do you freeze the mash and mince seperately or together ive run out of tubs so thought i might freeze seperately in bags?

thanks a agin i appreciate it karen

Really glad it came out well for you Karen, see told you not to give up!

I cook mine all together then freeze in individual portions - I get 9 good sized ones - maybe you could divide it up, freeze it in one or two pots then take it out of the pot once frozen and bag it up? might take a while but would help if you don't have enough containers?

Ohh, just seen AngelNikki's answer too, sounds even better - forgot about peas!
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • dink1dink1 Forumite
    197 posts
    Busymom - Mine are just flowers too at the moment......
    Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • annelouise_2annelouise_2 Forumite
    360 posts
    busy mum - my toms are only 2 inches tall and I live in Spain!!!!!!

Courgettes are 3 ft tall - anyone know how tall before they flower????

Made banana and lemon cake and got extra 5 muffins out of mix

Made Jamies Sainsburys fishcakes with 1 salmon fillet 2 1/2 potatoes - got 7 med ones from mix.Some for tea tomorrow rest frozen for kids next week.

Made Twinks with coconut - nomnomnom.Ate last of bounty slice - kids are raving about them +++++++++++++

Rejigged freezer and made tomorrows shopping list and Mondays.

Will freeze banana cake whole in neighbour's freezer for when guests are here later in month.Will ice when defrosted.

Popcorn x 1 and fizzy 33c a litre for tonights sleepover ( cheaper than buying an icecream for 1!!! great MSE )

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • jackk_2jackk_2 Forumite
    288 posts
    Busy_mum wrote: »
    :j I have just made my first weetabix cake, it's so easy to make.
    It is in the oven as I write so I will let you know later how it turns out:j

Just been into the garden to see how the sweetcorn plants are growing and they are just showing signs of making the corn cobs, I am growing them in a growbag and they are doing really well, although I have read somewhere on line that they prefer to get their roots down deep. I have one pepper in the greenhouse nearly ready to pick, and the tomatoes are just appearing.
    ( IS ANYONE ELSE GROWING TOMATOES AND IF YOU ARE HAVE YOU TOMATOES FORMED YET OR ARE THEY STILL FLOWERS) :question:

just leaves and stalks here, no flowers yet :confused:
  • gunsandbanjosgunsandbanjos Forumite
    12.2K posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    NSD for me as i got hubby to pick up garlic on his way back from work so it doesnt come out of my budget:o He's taken LO to the cinema so i'm trying to meal plan while i've got peace. LO is in hospital next week so a bit of a pain for planning, definately a takeaway the night she stays in! Always too knackered to cook by the time i get home, plus i usually want comfort food as its a stressful day.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Busy_mum wrote: »
    Hi there, I have three tom plants, all in pots and different types, shifted outside if sunny and not too windy, otherwise in a warm porch. They all have flowers although the tallest one also has a tiny tom, about 1 inch round, and an even smaller one about 1cm round! My other tom plants still small as are the pepper plants. Lettuce leaves growing well, as are spring onions and shallots. Tatties growing but not flowering yet. Strawbs on but still pale pinky green. hth :D
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls