PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Moniker wrote: »
    Just popped in to update my sig after my trip to Sainsbury's with MIL. Have spent another £21 on a piece of gammon and veg and a few other things. Will have the gammon done in the sc on Sunday and it will do cold with salad on Monday. Tuesday is DH's birthday but instead of going out I am going to treat him (and myself) to an M&S eat in for £10 package - not part of the gc as would have been from the eating out budget. DD1 and DD2 coming home next weekend for a family celebration, but that will come out of August's budget. Am close to declaring for July but don't want to tempt fate, so will wait till next Wednesday as August challenge will start for me on 31st.

Good luck everyone and have a good weekend. Hope the sun shines on one and all.

Love Moniker

PS Meant to say to the person who was asking about which BM to buy that I have recently bought a Cookworks model only £23-99 from Argos, which works fine. I had a Breville Compact one before that but the sprockets (technical term!) which held the bread pan in place broke after about 18 months use. The Cookworks one gave off a lot of smoke on firts use which was a bit alarming but was to do with oil burning off the element and as I had been forwarned about this by a review on the internet it was ok. Seems to need less yeast than the previous model to make the same recipes - I find the Breville recipes work better than the ones which come with the Cookworks instructions, but it is a bit of trial and error really - HTH.
    I have one of these as well, really good am now on my 4th machine, and find this better than the more expensive Morphy Richards I had previously; although am only using for dough and cooking in oven as i prefer the "normal" shaped tin.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!

Just added up our total spends for July and we've come in at £26.65 for the month... a new record but assisted a great deal with going away for the week.
    This brings our 2008 Grocery Challenge savings up to £1084.58!!!
    When/If OB gets a new job we'll use all of these savings towards a trip to Costa Rica..a great compromise on our original plans...I'll still see the toucan and resplendant quetzal and OB the howler monkeys
    Hope you've all done really well this month and hugs for anyone who needs them.

See you all on the August thread!!!!

SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • cookinmummy
    cookinmummy Posts: 4,245 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya everyone! Have not been on here for a couple of weeks as I have been ill with a throat infection, but I have kept track of spend and am declaring £245.74 for July :j

For August I am aiming for £240 plz.

Hope everyone is well and achieving their targets :D
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    £26.65 for the month... a new record but assisted a great deal with going away for the week.
    This brings our 2008 Grocery Challenge savings up to £1084.58!!!

WOW!!! :cool: well done SFT :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T

Nikki xx
    :A
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Thanks nikki!!!
    I'm determined to see one of those rainbow billed toucans!!!!

The irony is that we eat better now, even on a more typical, stay at home month than we ever did before and yet we spend so much less.

A big thanks to you for the great job you've done this month..I really appreciate it and couldn't do this challenge without you and the rest of the crazy gang.
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • skintscotslass
    skintscotslass Posts: 2,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spent £26.96 in Lidl today. Got loads of fruit and veg. Lidl are doing 2 for £2 on nestles condensed milk. Also cans of pepsi (for BF, not me) 25p each, but 5 for a £1. Iceberg lettuce was only 37p.
  • mama67
    Options
    What a good idea. I was going to start using www.mysupermarket.com and see who was cheaper on what, as MrA, MrT & MrS are quite close to me, so I could go to the cheapest for each item... not sure if I would though, but at least I would have a list with the prices on when I went (espec for Lidls and Aldi)...
    I do this as all 3 are also within 5 minutes of each other even though 40 ninutes from me.

I have even been known to call in at the Co-op on way home as well if they have a good offer on something and I've not spotted better.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • mama67
    Options
    KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    good morning ALL

just thought I would pass this on,, we need a few cans of tomatoes so will go to Asda,,,, as we need milk as well,,,
    I usually get Mr S basics chopped as they seem more like passata than the MrT and Mr A. Will have to look for KTC next time in in Mr A.
  • Cleosmum
    Cleosmum Posts: 2,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I shall declare my total for July: Budget £250 & actual spend £215.38 :j very pleased, was quite hard work as we had very little money this month. I had upped my grocery budget from £200 to £250 as we were finding it harder and harder to manage, so shall rethink that and drop it for august :T
  • NannyOgg
    NannyOgg Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Angelnikki, I would like to declare July at £115.79 please

Thanks for the recipe denisefowler, parsnip and apple soup is one of my faves!

And IOIWE, sorry to hear about the situation, but I'm sure all will work out for the best. Good luck at the JC tomorrow xx

See you all on the August thread!

NannyOgg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family