Ripped off in local Restaurant

Options
Hello. Just wondered if anyone else has had similar experience and if so, what was their next course of action, if any at all.
A group of 13 went to our local newly opened Tapas bar. At end of evening, were handed our bill. Due to price, we checked it and found that we had been charged two lots of service charge, about 5 extra desserts that we had not ordered and shockingly, about 5/6 extra bottles of wine (at £14.95 a bottle!)
Queried these. Desserts and service charge - had no choice but to amend (yes, am aware this could have been a genuine mistake)
Bottles of wine - manager insistent that is what we ordered (13 bottles of wine, 4 were not drinking)
We asked him to produce empty bottles - he refused.
We asked him to produce tabs - he did this, but not only did he use our table, but had added other table tabs to his list from other diners!
Anyway, to cut a long story short - definitely tried to rip us off by adding extras to bill.
This is not a large chain, so writing to their Head Office is not an option - who can I take this to, to stop this happening to other diners who may not check their bills?

Comments

• mymatebob
    mymatebob Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Options
    Local paper? Has the place been reviewed in the press?

Local websites which review restaurants.

Watch you don't say anything libellous
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trading standards?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Name the restaurant.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did you pay it??

Personally I would have refused to pay any more than what you'd ordered, and if they queried it, then call the police!

If they won't give you the money back, contact the local paper, and go online and rate them on all the sites they're listed on, saying what happened!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have refused to pay the charges for the extra bottles of wine he claimed your group had consumed, but you claimed you hadn't.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • facingthefuture
    Options
    I would have called the police. He was accusing you of theft effectively and he was obviously the one that was thieving. Who owns the place, write them a letter and explain you will take the matter further if not given an apology and a refund eg.I would stick an ad in the local paper asking had this happened to anyone else( you don't have to actually NAME the place, use a po box no too)!
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just spread the word locally - places that get bad reputations eventually go out of business.
  • ben_and_elly
    Options
    Thank you to all your replies.
    Bit naughty, but it was called La Rioja.
    We paid the bill for what we knew we had received,all bar £150, however, the actual owner was in restaurant and he got quite physical.
    I will contact trading standards and just spread the word.
    No, unfortunately it has not been reviewed in the local paper, but I will continue to search and add my comments where necessary.
    All very helpful and thanks
    PS I wouldn;t recommend it though!
  • chuckles1066
    chuckles1066 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you to all your replies.
    Bit naughty, but it was called La Rioja.
    We paid the bill for what we knew we had received,all bar £150, however, the actual owner was in restaurant and he got quite physical.
    I will contact trading standards and just spread the word.
    No, unfortunately it has not been reviewed in the local paper, but I will continue to search and add my comments where necessary.
    All very helpful and thanks
    PS I wouldn;t recommend it though!

It's not THIS ONE is it?

South Manchester area?
    You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky

Any advice that you receive from me is worth exactly what you paid for it. Not a penny more or a penny less.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    tab mistakes happen espesh if its table 02 and table 20 being used at the same time.

or sumtimes u log onto the till and see a tab sitting there that was previously 02 when ur serving 20 and u see one item there thats the same so just add to that tab without realising ur adding it to the wrong tab.

easy mistake. nothing to scream to the TC's about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure