Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 31st Aug 07, 11:48 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency
    • 31st Aug 07, 11:48 AM
    Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency 31st Aug 07 at 11:48 AM

This thread is to discuss Grant Grabbing for your home article

To discuss or ask a question - click reply
    Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 09-06-2010 at 4:14 PM.
Page 16
    • happyhero
    • By happyhero 1st Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    happyhero
    Hi I live in a 4 bedroom house and we have 3 kids. We bought our house when I was earning better money although we still just about manage now to afford the bills and stay put. Because the house is a fair size we had one of those boilers by Worcestor Bosch installed that stand on the floor and are about the same size as a washing machine. That was what they calculated we needed at the time back in 2000.

We now qualify for a boiler grant but I have had 4 companies come out and assess and none will offer any boiler that size, they will offer only smaller popular sizes.

I wanted Worcestor Bosch again but realised quite quickly I may need to compromise and except a different make or model. But the engineer each time, when asked, confirmed that the replacement would not be as powerful as our existing one which is a combi with a small storeage tank to give it the power it has.

Some can supply Worcestor Bosch but not the right model. I want to go ahead and I am prepared to top up any grant. We could really do with the grant to allow us to manage the cost.

I realise now its pointless to keep calling in any more companies only to get the same answers so I am thinking could I not get to the people above these companies and get them to give me a grant to put the right boiler in with me topping it up. The energy companies dont seem to have the power (pardon the pun) to deviate from the basic stuff for a particular case.

I dont expect them to pay for it all we just want some help as we do qualify.

Is there anyone to contact at the top so to speak, its not happening with the energy companies?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 11th Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    • 3,962 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Just called to cancel my parent's Boiler home care scheme and British gas wrongly informed me that the boiler grant scheme had ended a year ago and wanted to know if I wanted a new boiler from them.

Be careful when speaking to British Gas, clearly if I was a naïve senior citizen, I would have been light a few thousand
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,915Posts Today

7,732Users online

Martin's Twitter