Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency

Options

Comments

• manhater
    manhater Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you could help them by doing a benefit entitlement check at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DoItOnlineByCategory/DG_172666

If they don't qualify for Warm Front, who do the heating grants, they could get £300. They also do benefit checks - see this http://www.warmfront.co.uk/heating-rebate-scheme.htm

Check also Winter Fuel Payments http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/BenefitsInRetirement/DG_10018657

and if they qualify after the benefit check, Cold Weather Payments http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/ConcessionsAndOtherHelp/DG_10018668

Yes all of those have been checked, local m.p even got on the case but apprently they are entitled to nothing from benefits and as for the grants the top up to pay is out of there reach of getting together.
  • manhater
    manhater Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    harryhound wrote: »
    Healthy comfort is a balance between heat inputs and heat losses.
    What sort of property has been mortgaged by your parents?
    Free insulation won't solve the problem but should improve it.

It's a one bedroomed bungalow and they are not entitled to FREE insulation either!
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    manhater wrote: »
    Yes all of those have been checked, local m.p even got on the case but apprently they are entitled to nothing from benefits and as for the grants the top up to pay is out of there reach of getting together.
    Another suggestion I have would be to contact your local home improvement agency who may help be able to help them with any quotations as well as possible charitable fundraising opportunities. Their local agency can be found here http://www.foundations.uk.com/home
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    There is no help for double glazing even for noise issues, I had this problem living near a narrow road which got more busy due to a new supermarket being built. They accepted there was a noise problem when they took noise readings

You can get grants fro council for home improvements but this is means tested and some councils put a charge on your home when you come to sell
    The problem with double glazing grants for energy efficiency is that the payback period (the time it takes for energy efficiency savings to pay for the cost of the windows) is approximately 20 years depending on the window type so in general is uneconomical. This compares with 2-4 years for cavity and loft insulation.

Unfortunately the noise nuisance situation you describe is difficult to control. I would guess that your best chance of getting new windows would be civil action, but that would be a risk. See this page for more information: http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/noise/environmental-noise/noise-pollution/
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    manhater wrote: »
    It's a one bedroomed bungalow and they are not entitled to FREE insulation either!

When there is an occupant over 70?
    (My in-laws had their 4 bed detached done free last year)
  • harryhound
    Options
    There is no help for double glazing even for noise issues.

"Natural" increase in the use of an existing road does not count BUT if there have been publicly funded works to cause the increase then there are rights and compensation to be claimed.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5646084&highlight=#post5646084
  • greg55
    Options
    I wonder if anyone can help. We bought an ex-council property a year ago and when up the loft before christmas we noticed some dampness to some of the beams. We have since had a roofer out to inspect the property and he has told us that when the roof was put on, a row of tiles has been missed out and the remaining tiles stretched to save money. A whole new roof is required at a cost of £4700. We do not think we are covered under insurance as it has been caused by somebody's bad workmanship. The council will not take responsibilty as they have said we cannot prove that the roof has not been replaced since it was built. We are a young couple and this is our first house so we do not have a spare £4700 lying around. I do, however, recieve DLA and wondered if there were any grants that could assist us with this.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    greg55 wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone can help. We bought an ex-council property a year ago and when up the loft before christmas we noticed some dampness to some of the beams. We have since had a roofer out to inspect the property and he has told us that when the roof was put on, a row of tiles has been missed out and the remaining tiles stretched to save money.
    On the face of it I have to say I'm having a little difficulty believing this.
    A whole new roof is required at a cost of £4700. We do not think we are covered under insurance as it has been caused by somebody's bad workmanship.
    You have one mans say-so that there has been bad worksmanship. That needs coroboration. How old is this property?
    The council will not take responsibilty as they have said we cannot prove that the roof has not been replaced since it was built. We are a young couple and this is our first house so we do not have a spare £4700 lying around. I do, however, recieve DLA and wondered if there were any grants that could assist us with this.
    Your very first action is to get two other roofers in to examine your "problem" and without telling either of them what the first one said (or each other for that matter) get them to give you a written diagnosis and quote for remedial work if any is required. Then is the time to start thinking about how to deal with it TBH.

A little dampness is not water pouring in so is not urgent. It is just as likely to be some condensation as anything else IMO.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • harryhound
    edited 16 January 2010 at 3:42PM
    Options
    Could it be melting blown snow?
    Have you got "sarking" (under slating) felt hanging under the tiles between your common rafters (the ones on which the tiling battens are nailed)?
    If you have, I cannot see how the water dripping between the badly fitted tiles is getting to the inside of the loft.?
    Have you got a ladder and gone up and lifted the bottom row of tiles to see what is happening underneath between the tiles and the sarking felt.?
    It is not rocket science, especially on most ex local authority houses.
  • tonycamps
    Options
    This may be of interest We have limited funds available for purchase of solid wall insulation in some local authorities. See heatandenrgy.org
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback