Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency

Options

Comments

• Galaxy36
    Galaxy36 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if there is any grants that are available if you own a property with no central heating? The only form of heating is 2 gas fires which are on the ground floor one in the kitchen and a further one in the lounge. Possibly these would be condemned as they look a few years old.

The property would need I would imagine loft insulation and cavity wall insulation at some point too.
    I love to wake up and meet the day. I think that life is not to be wasted or thrown away.:D
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    bethd wrote: »
    can i get a grant for new windows?
    1. Does your local council offer grants to improve your home? -give them a ring or search their website to find out.
    2. Does the condition of your windows meet the eligibility criteria (e.g. are they very very old and / or are they in serious danger of falling out)
    3. Do you meet their grant qualification criteria? (e.g. over 60 or disabled)

If it's 'yes' to all the above questions, then the answer is you may be able to get a grant.

There could be other conditions, like having to own your home for a certain period before applying - the application forms should make the conditions clear.

I don't know of any schemes that offer replacement windows on the basis of improved energy efficiency (I would be interested to know of any).
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    Galaxy36 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there is any grants that are available if you own a property with no central heating? The only form of heating is 2 gas fires which are on the ground floor one in the kitchen and a further one in the lounge. Possibly these would be condemned as they look a few years old.

The property would need I would imagine loft insulation and cavity wall insulation at some point too.
    Have a look here http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/What-can-I-do-today/Energy-saving-grants-and-offers.
  • monicamj
    monicamj Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if there are any grants available for putting a bathroom into a house that doesn't have one? The house in question does have a toilet - in an out house.
    Debt free by Dec 2011 :)
    #178 Pay as as much as you can in 2011
    £2305.80/£7489.27
    #114 Crazy clothes challenge £60/£60
    #1369 Sealed pot challenge 4
    £9.72
    #139 Virtual sealed pot challenge
    £15.50
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    monicamj wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any grants available for putting a bathroom into a house that doesn't have one? The house in question does have a toilet - in an out house.
    Maybe
    1. What's your district/borough/city council?
    2. Do you own the house?
    3. Are you are disabled, on low income or are an older person?
  • monicamj
    monicamj Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    The local council is Darlington, it's a house I want to buy, I'm not old or disabled. My income is £17,600 - I'm not sure whether that is considered low?
    Debt free by Dec 2011 :)
    #178 Pay as as much as you can in 2011
    £2305.80/£7489.27
    #114 Crazy clothes challenge £60/£60
    #1369 Sealed pot challenge 4
    £9.72
    #139 Virtual sealed pot challenge
    £15.50
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    monicamj wrote: »
    The local council is Darlington, it's a house I want to buy, I'm not old or disabled. My income is £17,600 - I'm not sure whether that is considered low?

The Darlington Borough Council website (http://www.darlington.gov.uk/Housing/Private+Landlords+and+Tenants/Housing+in+Disrepair/Grants+and+Financial+Assistance/Grants+and+Financial+Assistance.htm) states "Do you own an empty property which is in need of repairs/renovations to bring it back into use?" and "Do you own a property which is in need of minor but costly repairs/renovations?" May be worth a quick call to enquire about eligibility.
  • samzixxx
    Options
    im a single working mum,& applieid for a ART loan ,this is a soul destroying process,its meant to be a loan which you sell a percentage of your home by a none profit org who arent in the position to get a loan otherwise,my advice dont do it.
  • samzixxx
    Options
    I try very hard to teach my children to work hard,id be better of claiming benffits
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    samzixxx wrote: »
    im a single working mum,& applieid for a ART loan ,this is a soul destroying process,its meant to be a loan which you sell a percentage of your home by a none profit org who arent in the position to get a loan otherwise,my advice dont do it.
    Sounds like you had a bad time. As they are running a not-for-profit scheme, the way they operate is from the feedback of those using it (which would have been why it was set up in the first place). So my advice to you would be to contact whoever is meant to be running the scheme to tell them how it could be improved. Even if it seems you get no response, most councils or schemes take feedback very seriously and it will be looked at (if not necessarily acted upon).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback