Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency

Options

Comments

• wild_tiger
    wild_tiger Posts: 389 Forumite
    Options
    Just_mommy wrote: »
    Can anyone offer me any advice please????

I live in an ex-council 2 bedroom house, I have 3 children (all girls) ages 11,5 and 2. Is there any help out there for adapting the house to a 3 bed? Its really cramped for all three of them in one room and there is no way we can afford to move.

I lost my job in Feb and my husband lost his in May. My husband was on a good wage but had only been with the company for 1 year so go not redundancy, he has now taken a new job but it only pays £14,000 a year.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanks x

i am in a similar situation as you with regards to lack of space, however i am going to buy a wooden summer house for the garden for the kids to play in during the day. It is very big and doesn't need planning permission because it is wooden and it is going to cost about £2000. It is a quick way to get more space but do ask your local council about planning just in case you need in your area.

HTH x
    wouldn't it be nice if i won : car/cash/family holiday :)

:j I am a winner! :j

Thank You to all who post and who make this a great site!
  • Martin_R
    Martin_R Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I am disabled, receive DLA and Mobility, and live in a Council House. My stairs and landing need re-decorating, but I am unable to do this myself. The Council won't help, as they say that whilst I am registered disabled with them, they only re-decorate over 60's.
    I can afford the materials, but not the labour. Are there any grants available that anyone knows of for people like me.
    Also, and I know I am asking a lot here, I have purchased anew bathroom suite, plus a shower for over the bath, and all of the tiles, but the cheapest I can get labour for is £2000, which is way beyond me, again the council won't help, so has anyone any suggestions please (apart from putting the bathroom suite on Ebay lol :wink: ).
    Thankyou for any help.
  • gpb_2
    gpb_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    watch this if you get a grant and you wish to move home you have to pay it back they all come with catches from local gov ect
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    Martin_R wrote: »
    Hi, I am disabled, receive DLA and Mobility, and live in a Council House. My stairs and landing need re-decorating, but I am unable to do this myself. The Council won't help, as they say that whilst I am registered disabled with them, they only re-decorate over 60's.
    I can afford the materials, but not the labour. Are there any grants available that anyone knows of for people like me.
    Also, and I know I am asking a lot here, I have purchased anew bathroom suite, plus a shower for over the bath, and all of the tiles, but the cheapest I can get labour for is £2000, which is way beyond me, again the council won't help, so has anyone any suggestions please (apart from putting the bathroom suite on Ebay lol :wink: ).
    Thankyou for any help.
    Try contacting your local Home Improvement Agency - they may run a local scheme that will help. Alternatively they may be able to point you in the direction of other organisations who could help. http://www.foundations.uk.com/hiasearch.aspx

If you want a new bathroom because it needs adapting for you to better live with your disability then you may qualify for a Disabled Facilites Grant - ask your council about this specific grant. If you do qualify then the labour is included.
  • echohoteloscar
    echohoteloscar Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2009 at 8:58PM
    Options
    gpb wrote: »
    watch this if you get a grant and you wish to move home you have to pay it back they all come with catches from local gov ect
    Many council grant or loan schemes are like this but it should be made clear in terms and conditions you receive before you start works. There are usually a number of strings attached including needing to repay a grant if you move, usually between 5-10 years once the work is done. Another common condition is a need to have owned the property for 3 years before you become eligible to apply. The reason for such conditions is that the grants are aimed at making sure homes are repaired to an acceptable and safe standard for the occupier and a house move means that they no longer benefit from the work but may benefit from the increased value of the home on sale. In the current climate that may not be the case, but such conditions are attached to many grants years before and the credit crunch hasn't necessarily changed council's attitude to this.

Although very unlikely, it may be worth trying to make a case to the council to waive unfair conditions in exceptional circumstances.
  • Martin_R
    Martin_R Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou echo for the reply, unfortunately, that link doeasn't cover anywhere in Islington for Council Homes,
    As for the new Bathroom, the reason I ended up buying it myself, was because the Council were going to fit a new one, but would not hide any electrics needed (they wanted surface mounted trunking, nor would they bury any new piping in the walls, and they wouldn't install the one I bought, as they said the quality was too good (says a lot for what they use). I tried with Occupational Therapy, but they said they could not help either ... but did provide me with a seat for the bath, as they said that way at least I could soak my feet (honestly):rotfl:.
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    Martin_R wrote: »
    Thankyou echo for the reply, unfortunately, that link doeasn't cover anywhere in Islington for Council Homes,
    As for the new Bathroom, the reason I ended up buying it myself, was because the Council were going to fit a new one, but would not hide any electrics needed (they wanted surface mounted trunking, nor would they bury any new piping in the walls, and they wouldn't install the one I bought, as they said the quality was too good (says a lot for what they use). I tried with Occupational Therapy, but they said they could not help either ... but did provide me with a seat for the bath, as they said that way at least I could soak my feet (honestly):rotfl:.
    I guess you are a tenant of HFI. If so, they advertise a redecoration scheme called "Elderly and Disabled Persons’ Internal Decoration Programme" (http://www.homesforislington.org.uk/repairs%20and%20improvements/repairs/repairs%20to%20your%20home/). It appears oversubscribed, so probably better to enquire and apply asap.

For the bathroom, you mention the council were going to fit a new one. Would it be possible and maybe cheaper to offer to pay the difference to the bathroom installer for the cost difference between the standard of workmanship that would be acceptable to the council and the work you want? As a last ditch, I suggest contacting Islington Care & Repair (http://www.sph.org.uk/downloads/sph/care-and-repair-english.pdf). From the information you give, you appear to meet the eligibility criteria apart from living in a Council House - may still be worth a call nonetheless because they may know of other schemes or more affordable installers who won't rip you off.
  • emlc27
    emlc27 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

It's been a while since i've popped on. Does any one know where I can get help with gas electric and council tax arreas and genral living.

I have arreas in utilities due to being made redundant and I have never been able to catch up. I have been back in work for 6 months now and caught up alot. My job has now gone permenant and I cant afford to keep up the payments. I have wrote to the companies and they say they will have t fif a meter for gas and electric. I am in to much trouble with the council tax they have givine up helping me and now insist in the full payment. It's going to court in a few weeks.

Gas Npower det 300
    Elec Southen det 900
    Council det 2000
    :hello: 2006 = over £15000
    2009 = £6000
    Target
    2011 = £0:j
  • maggie111
    maggie111 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, sorry to hear about your situation. I can't offer any advice other than to say you are not posting in the best place - you may get better help by posting here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=76
    I love surprises!
  • bethd
    Options
    can i get a grant for new windows?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills