Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency

Options

Comments

• LTS75
    Options
    Hi!

Own and live an old Victorian flat in Reading. Lived here for over years and am wondering if you guys think I could find a grant to help me install a wood burning stove? Trying to get away from being reliant on the central heating..
    Also, the flat still has the original windows, I am currently suffering from lots of ice on the inside of the windows as they are in such poor condition. Any chances for agrant for either new windows or double glazing?
    Any suggestions and tips welcome!
    THANK YOU! :)
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    LTS75 wrote: »
    Hi!

Own and live an old Victorian flat in Reading. Lived here for over years and am wondering if you guys think I could find a grant to help me install a wood burning stove? Trying to get away from being reliant on the central heating..
    Also, the flat still has the original windows, I am currently suffering from lots of ice on the inside of the windows as they are in such poor condition. Any chances for agrant for either new windows or double glazing?
    Heating financial help is usually to install central heating, so I doubt there is assistance with your first request.
    Try the council with your windows - their contact details are here: http://www.reading.gov.uk/healthandsocialcare/grants/General.asp?id=SX9452-A78064B6
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    LTS75 wrote: »
    Hi!

https://www.magneglaze.co.uk/ ?
  • jackycooper
    Options
    Hi, i am a single parent to a 5 year old, i am receiving benefits as i am unable to work due to a long term sickness, multiple sclerosis. My home is very cold and can be quite noisy (living 2 mins from a supermarket) my main question is, i wondered if there is any way i can get a grant for double glazing in my home? Any replies appreciated, many thanks, Jacky
  • garfield26
    Options
    :confused:i have just had a british gas surveyer come to give me a quote for replacement boiler only to be told that the discounts they advertise are not applicable to this offer apparently you have to read the small print which disclaims these offers 1 offer says you ca get a £300 dicount +£300 if you are over 60,theyalso say that under the goverment scrapage scheme of £400 they b,gas will match this with £400 this could be a good deal if it was true ,if youbuy a boiler from them at a hugely inflated price they will take some money off but not match the £400, so be warned b.g. are misleading you ,go to a reputable dealer who will beat their quote by at least £600---1000 ,take care keith
  • manhater
    Options
    Please all you experts out there give me some useful advice and something positive!!! My parents are over 60 and over 70 receiving state pension, my step father still works (less than 16 hrs) he has to as they still have a mortage to pay! there heating system died 2 yrs ago and so they have been using calor gas heaters (which is costing a fortune) now this is causing a huge condensation problem thus resulting in now a damp problem. They have no savings. The local m.p got involved as they had been told by numerous people they didnt meet the criteria for a grant as they dont receive benefits, this the m.p found out was true! i think it's mad as it seems those that are most needy are not getting the help or are we missing something???? i dont want my parents to be worrying themselves about all the damage (that they cant afford to repair) thats now happening to there property because of the damp but certainly dont want them dying of pneumonia either!!!
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    manhater wrote: »
    Please all you experts out there give me some useful advice and something positive!!! My parents are over 60 and over 70 receiving state pension, my step father still works (less than 16 hrs) he has to as they still have a mortage to pay! there heating system died 2 yrs ago and so they have been using calor gas heaters (which is costing a fortune) now this is causing a huge condensation problem thus resulting in now a damp problem. They have no savings. The local m.p got involved as they had been told by numerous people they didnt meet the criteria for a grant as they dont receive benefits, this the m.p found out was true! i think it's mad as it seems those that are most needy are not getting the help or are we missing something???? i dont want my parents to be worrying themselves about all the damage (that they cant afford to repair) thats now happening to there property because of the damp but certainly dont want them dying of pneumonia either!!!
    Sounds like you could help them by doing a benefit entitlement check at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DoItOnlineByCategory/DG_172666

If they don't qualify for Warm Front, who do the heating grants, they could get £300. They also do benefit checks - see this http://www.warmfront.co.uk/heating-rebate-scheme.htm

Check also Winter Fuel Payments http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/BenefitsInRetirement/DG_10018657

and if they qualify after the benefit check, Cold Weather Payments http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/ConcessionsAndOtherHelp/DG_10018668
  • harryhound
    Options
    Hi, i am a single parent to a 5 year old, i am receiving benefits as i am unable to work due to a long term sickness, multiple sclerosis. My home is very cold and can be quite noisy (living 2 mins from a supermarket) my main question is, i wondered if there is any way i can get a grant for double glazing in my home? Any replies appreciated, many thanks, Jacky

I think the only way you might qualify for "double glazing", and it won't be double glazing it will be secondary glazing, would be the noise issue.
    If the government has made changes to the transport (ie road) layout that has encouraged extra traffic, you might qualify.
    Something like the road outside being converted from single carriageway to dual carriage way.
    Alternatively there are low cost DIY options for fitting secondary glazing, that a friend might be able to install with a day or two of work.

Are you a home owner or a tenant. If the latter, what sort of landlord do you have?
  • harryhound
    Options
    manhater wrote: »

Healthy comfort is a balance between heat inputs and heat losses.
    What sort of property has been mortgaged by your parents?
    Free insulation won't solve the problem but should improve it.
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    Options
    There is no help for double glazing even for noise issues, I had this problem living near a narrow road which got more busy due to a new supermarket being built. They accepted there was a noise problem when they took noise readings

You can get grants fro council for home improvements but this is means tested and some councils put a charge on your home when you come to sell
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback