Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency

Options

Comments

• greg55
    Options
    thanks for your help with this, I will have another couple of roofers inspect and take it from there.
  • snowleopard61
    Options
    This is my first post ever on this forum and I'm finding the layout rather confusing, so please bear with me if this is in the wrong place! (Advice about what I should have done instead would be welcome if not!)

Does anyone know if it is true that Warm Front take the income of (working) adult children in the household into consideration when determining eligibility, even if the householder does not receive any income from them?
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    This is my first post ever on this forum and I'm finding the layout rather confusing, so please bear with me if this is in the wrong place! (Advice about what I should have done instead would be welcome if not!)

Does anyone know if it is true that Warm Front take the income of (working) adult children in the household into consideration when determining eligibility, even if the householder does not receive any income from them?
    Not true. You may be eligible if you are a homeowner or rent from a private landlord (and are responsible for the maintenance of your heating system) and you receive a qualifying benefit. Benefits are listed here, along with the application form link: http://www.warmfront.co.uk/do-i-qualify.htm

Give it a go - you've nothing to lose!

p.s. your post looks OK to me!
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Curious this WarmFront business.
    I am in receipt of Attendance Allowance, which is not means tested, and NOT mentioned in the link above,yet have been given a grant of £3500.
    However because my boiler is too new and they don't do a lot of the work mentioned in my application (such as interior or exterior wall insulation, and the house is up to specification anyway....the grant is left open until 2013.
    SO..has my grant already come out of the communal pot and why go about it in such an odd way. Best would be for Warmfront to refuse the grant and for me to re-apply later.
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Curious this WarmFront business.
    I am in receipt of Attendance Allowance, which is not means tested, and NOT mentioned in the link above,yet have been given a grant of £3500.
    However because my boiler is too new and they don't do a lot of the work mentioned in my application (such as interior or exterior wall insulation, and the house is up to specification anyway....the grant is left open until 2013.
    SO..has my grant already come out of the communal pot and why go about it in such an odd way. Best would be for Warmfront to refuse the grant and for me to re-apply later.
    Some good q&a's of the scheme here:
    http://www.warmfront.co.uk/files/WF%20FAQ%20June09.pdf
    "work can be re-activated at any time, provided there is sufficient money left in the grant." i.e. you have been awarded a grant amount and it is yours to spend until it is exhausted.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Great link Echo, thank you.
  • moominda
    Options
    Hi
    Firstly I do apologise if I've posted this request in the wrong place etc I'm rather a novice at this. I wonder if anyone can help me please. Three years ago I had to give up my full time job due to an illness that got progressively worse & is not going to get any better. I am in receipt of Incapacity Benefit which is topped up by a small amount of Income Support. As anyone trying to survive on Benefits will know it can be really hard sometimes but one adjusts life style etc & makes the best of what one has but rarely is there any spare cash to undertake home improvements. I have lived in my house for 24 years now & the single glazed windows have definately seen better days. The 2 big units across the front of the house are loose & I'm sure one good push & they'd go crashing to the ground also I can't use the front door as it is so rotten it's had to be re-inforced on the inside by a piece of wood to hold it together & prevent it from crumbling to pieces. I realise I'm asking a lot & am probably living in cuckoo land but does anyone know of any grant that I could apply for to replace the windows. Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.
    Many thanks.
  • echohoteloscar
    Options
    Ring your local council - they may have grants or loans to make a house decent to live in
  • Davydonny
    Options
    I am in a similiar situation my roof is leaking in three places, I am retired and managing on benefits and a small pension and my savings have long since dwindled, I would welcome any advice on how to get a new roof or a repair, I think it is caused through worn and ripped underfelt not the tile condition. But a replacement roof would be ideal.
  • penedawn
    penedawn Posts: 32 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :cool:I think that comes under the heading of an 'oxymoron' in that they have allowed the problem to continue and are now using the problem they have caused as an excuse not to fix it (or something like that - it in no way suggestes that the council is a moron?) but they are still responsible for repairing the fence! The fact that it has ceased to exist is also their fault. As it should cost you little, other than time I would still contact eh ombusdman and follow it up as they will no doubt point this out to you. There are probably a few pieces of wood or wire left in place and maybe even part of the old concrete posts if you poke around. It simply isn't worth their while arguing the toss for too long and it wont take them long to repair/replace it and that is probably the route to go. Sounds as if you gave them too much information to work with. If you have a one-stop-shop they might be useful too, but still try the ombudsman. You could of course mention that the fence was there but that since you have been in contact the local kids are using what they have broke down as missiles. Thereby suggesting it will be the fault of the council for providing weapons for the children to use. When at first you don't succeed, try another route! Good luck.;) For the person who has a roofing problem. Help the aged has changed it's name and focus. Give them a ring and see if they know anyone locally who give their services free or at little cost. I think with a roof you really need charitable help as the problems aren't always where they seem to be and can be costly.:o
    Tobyjug wrote: »
    Thanks autismum
    Tried council and they say their policy is to repair fencing only, they do not provide or erect fencing and the Ombudsman cannot enforce a policy that does not exist.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback