Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency

Options

Comments

• rabialiones
    Options
    just wondered if anybody has had the free home insulation grant from tesco, and whether it is any good, or is the local authority/eaga grant better
    thanks
    Nice to save.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Several threads running Aswain, and why not hot water via the Immersion heater. Havn't heard about the batteries!!!

aswain_123 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of a new scheme where you are given the option to buy a 5.6kw solar panel for your roof for £500??? The only catches I can see are the same as the ones you buy for £12,000 but sell the energy back to the company but I'm not toally sure. All I know at the moment is that you have to have it on your roof for 25 years but the panel will be serviced for free and you can have free electricity for your home (but not hot water) day and night (as it has a battery to store the energy used in the day). At the moment it sounds too good to be true but it does seem everyone's a winner - the electric company as they get free spare electric from your solar panel and the home owner because you get free electricity. Anyone know anything more?

Does anyone know what they mean by 5.6kw?? Would it run a washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher as well as the normal stuff in the house for example or will I have to be more careful of what I put on and when?

Thanks everyone!:j
  • aswain_123
    Options
    Thanks for this. I've searched under solar panel but it's only come up with the one where you sell back your excess energy to the energy firm. This one is different - they heavily subsidise the solar panel in return for your unused solar energy for free.

Is there another search phrase I could try? Thank you
  • lep5217
    Options
    Try "solar leasing" or "solar power purchase agreement" - sounds interesting deal - good luck with the search
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Options
    aswain_123 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I've searched under solar panel but it's only come up with the one where you sell back your excess energy to the energy firm. This one is different - they heavily subsidise the solar panel in return for your unused solar energy for free.

Is there another search phrase I could try? Thank you

Hi Aswain,

I'm confused - there's loads of companies in the other threads offering free solar pv in return for the company taking the feed in tariff. The only company I can find that offer the £500 is Homesun who are offering exactly the same deal as Isis, A Shade Greener, British Gas and a few others too but they're charging you £500 for the pleasure of using their system and for your generosity providing them with lots of cash over the next 25 years via the feed in tariff.

Each of the companies above let you have the electricity free and you don't have to pay anything. The only real difference is that Homesun let you buy the system at a later date of you want to but as the price is going to drop significantly over the next 12 months that is a rubbish deal too.

Sorry if I've missed the point but I can't get my head round what you think you've found - I'm intrigued if it's something different from the above.:(
    Target of wind & watertight by Sept 2011 :D
  • rabialiones
    Options
    just wondered if anybody has had the free home insulation grant from tesco, and whether it is any good, or is the local authority/eaga grant better
    thanks

anybody please???????
    Nice to save.
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Options
    anybody please???????

All done by the same installers so no difference in quality of work.
    Target of wind & watertight by Sept 2011 :D
  • scooby.doo_6
    Options
    Hello,
    my husband was made redundat a while back and neither of us has been able to find a job.
    Money is very tight, (bills and three kids) it looks like our french doors are falling apart. They are swelling and the door won't shut properly and the walls either side of it apppears to be getting damp :eek:.
    I wanted to ask if anyone knows if there is any grants outs there that may be able to help us to replace them?

thanks.
  • oilman2uk
    Options
    Hi all,

I just thought that you should also be aware that there is up to £1,000 consumer grant available for homeowners who wish to switch their current heating fuel from a carbon intensive source such as Coal or Elcetricity, over to a more carbon efficient gas or LPG.

This is funded by npower as part of their obligation to reduce carbon, however you DO NOT need to be a npower customer to take advantage of this.

Switching from coal to gas can get £800 for standard household, this increases to £1,000 if over 70 or on certain benefits.

If "Fuel Switching" from electric storage heaters to nice new efficient gas boiler then there is £500 for standard grant and £700 if over 70 or on certain benefits.

All of this is free to accesss and free for instllers to register. There are no hidden costs or admin costs.

For further info go to the A1 LCS (Low Carbon Solutions) website looking for "Fuel Switching"

Regards
  • littlefred
    Options
    Hi to all! Can anyone tell us how/who to contact whether we can apply for a grant/loan towards having our home damp proofed. Gettting worried because we can't afford to pay ourselves.
    Best wishes to all.
    if i had known then what i know now
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport