Replacing my economical run about car??

Options
Hi all,

I currently drive a second gen XP90 Toyota Yaris as a run about/daily beater. My other car is a E92 BMW M3 that I use in the weekends.

I am thinking about replacing my Yaris with a diesel. I am now starting to do more miles (commute has increased etc) and I will be going on Motorways. I find my Yaris a little unsettling at higher speeds in motorways especially with cross winds and going pass large lorries and going 70mph at 3.5 rpm becomes noisy and tiresome.

I have had a look around and the EP2 Honda Civic 1.7 CDTI is starting to appeal to me.

Here is a link of one that I have been checking out:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407185918160/sort/default/fuel-type/diesel/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/model/civic/postcode/NW3/radius/1500/make/honda/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_90000_miles?logcode=p

Good things about this car is that is does not have a DPF, so I can do shorter journeys too. Economy isn't too bad either. Any other thoughts on this engine and its reliability? Had a quick browse on the net and came across some forums that stated it's warrnaty period. I'm slightly confused and correct me if I'm wrong but is the Honda warranty 7 years OR up to 90k miles?

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sell the Yaris and convert the 3 series to LPG?

How many miles are you doing in it?
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you done the sums of running your decent car daily without the additional costs of a second car? Unless the commute is major, its like leaving your gorgeous wife at home and going out for the night with an ugly mistress.
  • Foxy-Stoat_3
    Options
    colino wrote: »
    Have you done the sums of running your decent car daily without the additional costs of a second car? Unless the commute is major, its like leaving your gorgeous wife at home and going out for the night with an ugly mistress.

I think the sums have already been done, hence the Yaris as the daily !

I would be going for a 1.9 PD engined A4 B6 shape or A6.....Having had a remapped 320d E91 previously I didn't think they were as economical, nicer place to be though ;)
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • OddballJamie
    Options
    1.7? Doesn't sound very good for overtaking. :p
  • darkmatter101
    darkmatter101 Posts: 421 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2014 at 12:25PM
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Sell the Yaris and convert the 3 series to LPG?

How many miles are you doing in it?

Cannot convert any M series (not 3 series btw) such as the M3 to LPG. That would be a criminal act. Never heard of anyone doing this to their M cars.

I do around 3-5k miles/year in the M3. Only use as weekend toy car
  • darkmatter101
    Options
    I have done the sums, and that's why I had the Yaris. Now I'll need to replace to Yaris with a stronger/heavier car with little more interior space (for motorways) and my budget is £3k max. What's wrong with that 1.7 CDTI Civic anyway? I can get one of those in good condition for £2500 easily
  • OddballJamie
    Options
    If you've already found a Civic you like then just buy it, not sure why you need reassurance from some strangers on a forum.

BTW Congratulations, you managed a comment without M3 in it. ;)
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    Options
    If you've already found a Civic you like then just buy it, not sure why you need reassurance from some strangers on a forum.

BTW Congratulations, you managed a comment without M3 in it. ;)

But we have been reminded that it's an M series, not a humble 3 series :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2014 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Cannot convert any M series (not 3 series btw) such as the M3 to LPG. That would be a criminal act. Never heard of anyone doing this to their M cars.

I do around 3-5k miles/year in the M3. Only use as weekend toy car

Plenty of converted M3's (and regular 3's) out there already. No good reason not to if you're doing highish miles - no noticeable performance impact, half the running costs. M3 performance for Yaris running costs.

How many miles are you going to do in the small car? Is it really cheaper to have 2 sets of insurance (one without NCB), tax, mot, tyres, depreciation and servicing than taking the hit on fuel economy?
  • OddballJamie
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Plenty of converted M3's (and regular 3's) out there already. No good reason not to if you're doing highish miles - no noticeable performance impact, half the running costs. M3 performance for Yaris running costs.

How many miles are you going to do in the small car? Is it really cheaper to have 2 sets of insurance (one without NCB), tax, mot, tyres, depreciation and servicing than taking the hit on fuel economy?

Unless they have two Yaris 1.0s, he may be fronting through his girlfriends insurance.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66420230&postcount=66

Also he's recommended to others CAT D cars and second hand brake pads, discs and tyres. That should cut costs and add to the fear factor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure