🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Goodbye Bloater, Hello Boater.

Options
Well talk about a plan falling at the first hurdle. I assumed it was easy to change your username on here and so was going to ditch the 'l' and become Mr Boater - a fair more positive way of signing in I thought. Not that I'm particularly nautical (despite growing up in a coastal twon I can't swim) but a boat, like a ski lodge is something aspirational to er, aspire to. But I can't change my screenname so I'll have to start this new thread instead. But from now on, the 'l' is silent.

Anyhow, I need a new diary - the old one was lovely and full of good advice from good folk but it was just going around in circles. It's all boom or bust, feast or famine, black or white in this world. Not even 5 shades of grey let alone 50.

And in my three weeks or so away from posting on the old one, things have gone a little madder and so a fresh reboot is needed to kick things into gear.

Madness:
- My left knee is seizing up all the time. Whenever I get out of the car, the chair, the bed - it is pure agony. Solutions to this I hope include starting my cod liver oil / glucosomine dosage again.

- Whilst doing Job 2a (which along with Job 2b is a seasonal thing that eats up all my spare time in June but in theory pays for some of the summer) I thought I heard voices in my head. They weren't telling me to do anything stupid (like save up for a boat when I can't swim) but it was unsettling enough to make me shudder. I have been working 21 hour days which could contribute but even then this kind of psychosis is not welcome. Solutions to this probably involve shock therapy, lobotomies and a stay on a psychiatric ward but I'm hoping that a positive mental attitude will stop any repeats. And not doing 21 hour days.

- Job 1 is going badly wrong. Even since I told the illuminati that I did not want to sit at the top table anymore I seem to be the victim of snipers taking potshots and landing direct hits. It's all a bit odd and unsettling and I don't know where or what I'll be doing in September.

- And the one that got me here in the first place - the money. I keep checking and recalculating and I think we will make it through this month with £3.31 to spare. We need to get back into the MSE mindset because that is too close to the edge. That is with all the cards maxed out and overdrafts at their limits.

Oh, and the shed's a mess again and I put all my weight back on. Business as usual!

Comments

• satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And here was I thinking "what have I done wrong, I can't see Mr B's thread anymore".

I hope you get your thang on, Mr B, there are folk waitin' on your wisdomly way with words.

I'm at a crossroads work-wise, and have the opportunity to go for an avenue that is entirely dependent on generating my own leads. Quite frankly, I'm scared...
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • Fishywiggles
    Options
    Ah no, Mr Bloater (silent l used i promise). I started to read your first thread and got quite a few pages in and then time ran away from me so I was expecting this thread to contain an update regarding your weight and money but not this kind of update!!

I wish you luck with this renewed energy and hope your shed can become something other than storage!
    Emergency Fund: £6,000 / £8,000 (should be reached by Feb 16)
    Deposit for Mortgage 2: £0 / £20,000 (needs to be reached by April 2020)
    Weight lost since November 15: 0lbs / 4st 0lbs (ASAP!!)
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Mr Bloater (Mr Boater as is now!)

I have been reading through your previous thread (which has been absolutely entertaining), but have never posted so far. Just thought I would send good wishes for Part Deux!

Keep up the money saving and I hope the knee improves!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Crack on then Mr Boater :wave:, I've subscribed and expect many great shifts in all unwanted things from you.

You.can.do.it! :D
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    You can do it Mr B!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • mary_hinge
    mary_hinge Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    :j Welcome back Mr Boater nice to see you are "keeping a float!"
    Living in a superhero induced haze :A:A
    "You did good Kidda!" :D
  • MrBloater
    MrBloater Posts: 750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Knives are certainly out in Job 1 but it's nothing I can't deal with. It's nice to switch from Golden Balls to Scum of the Earth in the blink of the eye. It's only colleagues at the end of the day. I know I'm good at what I do and so will take the rough with the smooth. Am going to polish my CV and send something speculative to a place I admired a while back.

Desperately trying to think of something moneysaving I can do for this month but I think it's all going to be deferred gratification. Jobs 2a and 2b will stumble on this weekend (was up at 1.30am which doesn't augur well for the voices remaining silent) but I won't see any of that til late July at the earliest. Could chuck a few things on ebay - actually that would be a good test of my new resolve. New diary could signify the end of my antipathy to listing stuff. Now where did I put that Adam & The Ants sun visor?
  • Northern_Lassy
    Options
    Time for a re-boot Mr Boater :) I am friends with a really inspirational bloke, head of department, totally devoted to the kids who need him...being sh@t on from a great height, drinks far too much, cries a lot in conversation, the system makes me so angry :( Chin up big fella, you are getting back in control x
    'Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses' - Confucious

• Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    :)

Well Happy new diary

I can't conceive of working 21 hours days.

I really can't. I have enough trouble with 14!

take care XX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Heffi1
    Heffi1 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good to see you again Mr B, I have subscribed thistime as I kept losing the other thread and then it got so big I had far too many pages to read, this time I am along for the ride.

I hope the work stuff sorts itself out for you, nothing worse than worrying about something, but not able to fix it.

Glad to see Adam & the Ants sun visor is making another journey to freedom, (if it gets away this time of course)!
    :) Been here for a long time and don't often post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family