🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Got here by luck, intending to stay by judgement.

Options
Having spent a chirpy hour this afternoon paying off 50k of credit card debts I actually find myself pretty much Debt Free, and so am ambling over to the more cerebral side of MSE Town to join in with the MFW cause.

I have had a completely appalling attitude to money which has seen us carry ludicrously high levels of debts on a collection of loans and cards for years, making minimum payments, robbing Peter to pay Paul and then mugging Paul the next day to shake him down and grab his loose change, driving cars we can't afford and having to service a 100% mortgage that we got a couple of weeks before NR went boom.

But then a couple of months ago I rung up a broker just to see if there were any remortgage options and despite the fact that even Vanquis turned me down for a credit card the other month, some bright young thing on the end of the phone patiently took down all the details of my debts and managed to squire me a 5 year fixed rate beauty for not much more than I'm currently paying, and a resultant chunk of change of 50k - meaning we're not going to paying off minimum payments on our 15 card/storecard/loan accounts and so should actually have a bit of money to spare.

And now all the debt is tied to the house, it's kinda more personal. And so I want rid of it - and rather than celebrating removing our heads from the jaws of the lion by demolishing copious wine, I have been playing with an overpayment calculator - and if I can throw an extra grand a month at the mortgage, it'll be done in a decade. Not that I'm quite sure where this mythical grand is going to come from, but I'm going to have fun trying to find it.

Comments

• Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the interest rate on your mortgage lower than your new borrowing?

The MSE argument would be to pay off the 50k first if it is higher.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How much of the £1k will come from what was going to the other loans?

Do you have SOA(if not do one) post it.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Mr B :j, welcome :hello:. There is great support on here so I hope you enjoy life on the MFW boards.

You know the risks of consolidation and we will be keeping an eye on you :naughty:. No flash holidays unless budgeted and paid for :).

You've been under enormous pressure over the last few years and it's great to know that has now lifted. I hope you slept well last night! Now you can actually enjoy the journey, set yourself mini-challenges etc. (e.g. get interest under x a day) knowing the roof won't fall in if you don't achieve it.

I trust the toilet repairs are still holding?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Polly_Wolly_Doodle
    Options
    Great to see you here Bloater:j, good luck with the ops, any figures to report?
    Weight: need to lose 71lbs - lost to date 0lbs
    One Poll: £3.20
    My Survey: £0.00
    Ebay: £0.00
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just saying *hello* as MFW boards are not my thing ( mortgage will be gone in couple of months :)) but will lurk on your thread as I enjoy your writing style ;)

*subscribes*
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nice to see you in this neck of the woods Mr B
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Glad you made a decision and took action. Going by your opening post, you've got your writing mojo back. Can't wait to follow the latest chapter.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • Mrs_Rachel_Trelfa
    Options
    Hi Mr B and welcome. Congratulations on getting rid of the £50k of card debt, but as others have suggested make sure consolidating the debt doesn't end up costing you more in the long run. I look forward to following your journey.

Why don't you post a SOA and we can have a look and help find the magic£1k
    House purchased November 2013
    Original MF Date: January 2045 - £104,400
    Current MF Date: April 2030- £48,719. 75
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    SOA with a before and after for the relevant sections.
  • Runders
    Runders Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Mr Bloater,

Just wanted to say hello and welcome. I've also just started my diary here on MFW and wanted to wish you luck!

Runders
    MFW Start:[STRIKE] Sep 2014 - £110,844[/STRIKE], July 2019 New Home £190,995 :eek:
    Current: £82,999.69, £190,972.18, £188,091.57, £180,026.25
    2021MFW #97 OP Goal £296.36/£3000
    2020MFW #97 OP Goal £3104.09.09/£3000
    2019MFW #109 OP Goal £1024.99/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts