AXA pulling out of pet insurance

Options

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OnAndUp wrote: »
    I also tried Animal Friends and theirs was £309!

So they are all dearer than the AXA renewal!! and I have to assume none of them would pay for her existing condition anyway, so it seems we really will be staying with AXA!! ;)

I really thought I would have been getting a better quote and leaving this time.....scurries off eating her words again......Flippin Pet Insurance always seems to Fox me no matter what! :( :eek: :rotfl:

I found the same thing, hence leaving Kiki with AXA. If she has another thyroid hiccup this year then we'll be quids in anyway, as it is nearly half of what I pay out I'll claim back in meds even if she remains stable.

The only place cheaper for Casper was Co-Op, and that's slightly less cover at £5000. Petplan wouldn't cover him for life anyway, and so many of the other insurers would put in expensive % excesses. I'm banking on him staying as healthy as he has so far, and on Co-Op not going down the same route as AXA! It's such a minefield, every time I thought I'd found a good company to go with, I hit a snag in their T&Cs or heard bad reviews.
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May 2014 at 10:11PM
    Options
    Decided to do one more quote - what the heck!

John Lewis this was a lot cheaper!!

It does say 20% Discount for first year so allowing an increase next year for that to start with but.....

John Lewis Plus:
    £7500 per year £160.40
    £12000 per year £200.01

She is a cross of two breeds so I select Crossbreed you then have to choose one of the breeds so I did which gave me the quote above.....so for curiosity changed it to the other breed she's crossed with and it gives me these quotes:

£7500 p/y £207.06
    £12000 p/y £258.32

Said it a million times before but it really is a minefield.... if a dog is a Cross of two different Pedigree parents how do you know which one to put them down as!?

So possibly considering theirs not heard much about John Lewis for Pet Insurance - does anyone have any feedback please?
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • krlyr
    edited 16 May 2014 at 10:17PM
    Options
    http://www.pet-insurance-surveys.co.uk/policy-details/John+Lewis+Pet+Insurance/Plus/

Couple of points I'd consider
    For pets aged 9 and over you have to pay 20% of the treatment costs if this is more than the excess amount. (Otherwise you will still pay your normal excess amount).

Also this comment would have me reading the T&Cs in terms of what they pay out for emergency treatment - at a glance it sounds like they may not pay for an out-of-hours vet visit (or maybe only on the condition that you rang this line - which I wouldn't want to faff around doing in an emergency!)
    If your normal vet practice is not open or cannot offer you an appointment you should call their vetfone for advice
  • OnAndUp
    edited 16 May 2014 at 10:23PM
    Options
    Thanks krlyr!

Really appreciate your replies, will have a look through that website it looks handy!

ps. It also says on there that NFU Pet Insurance is now only available to people with another existing NFU policy as they have found Pet Ins high risk! Although some NFU Mutual agents are still offering it? So the market is getting smaller again!
  • krlyr
    edited 16 May 2014 at 10:22PM
    Options
    From the policy document
    "If your normal vet practice is not open, or your normal vet cannot offer an appointment for treatment, then you should phone your vetfone helpline on 0800 316 7119 for advice.
    Your policy does not cover the additional cost of treatment outside normal surgery hours, unless your vet considers that treatment cannot wait until normal surgery hours."

Not quite so bad then, it's not as if you have to ring for permission to go to the emergency vet like I thought it might say.
  • OnAndUp
    edited 16 May 2014 at 10:31PM
    Options
    Thank you krlyr! :)

I'm betting AXA have chosen the dearest breed she's crossed with too! I'm going to ask how they decide which breed to put her down as? In case the other makes theirs cheaper although it's very unlikely I know!
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    is there an option "no idea what cross my dog is"?

as this is a possibility with dogs, an option like that should be available - if it is, how does it affect the quote?
  • OnAndUp
    Options
    is there an option "no idea what cross my dog is"?

as this is a possibility with dogs, an option like that should be available - if it is, how does it affect the quote?

I'm not sure, but would feel uncomfortable /dishonest about that!! ;) as I do definitely know which 2 breeds she is crossed with! Most of the options are like crossbreed then you choose the breed ie Lhasa Apso cross but if a dog is 50/50 how do you know which one to pick!
  • krlyr
    Options
    I've never had to specify what breed Kiki is, she's just down as crossbreed with AXA and they've never asked for any breeds.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    OnAndUp wrote: »
    So possibly considering theirs not heard much about John Lewis for Pet Insurance - does anyone have any feedback please?

I was with JL when they were underwritten by Axa - they changed underwriters (to someone I'm personally not keen on) so I moved to Axa (look where that's got us!)

I know a few people who stayed and some have had some pretty horrific price increases at their renewals :(

I'm still with Axa for my lot - I did several quotes & can't get anywhere near the same price with the same level of cover :( (which I guess could be one of the reasons they've decided to withdraw)

The Coop came out OK but a bit reluctant to move to them atm in case the same things happens there (with their situation who knows what they'll decide to do / sell next)

Mine would be highly unlikely to need drastic things like THR (know hip scores & they're good etc) AND they're really getting to an age I wouldn't do anything like that anyway

I would fix things like broken leg / cruiciate ligament etc but these are likely to be as a result of an accident / injury so seriously thinking of moving to that type of policy & putting the extra away to cover illnesses

We end up at the vet fairly often for 'everyday' things like upset tummies, sore ears etc & these all seem to cost £120 - £150 .... & not worth claiming anyway so I'm paying for those as it is so kind of thinking it's the right thing to do - just need to convince myself of that!:o
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure