Hyundai i20 clutch problems

Options
tightasaduck's
tightasaduck's Posts: 297 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 January 2012 at 4:53PM in Motoring
Hyundai car warranty claims
I had to have the clutch replaced on my relatively new Hyundai after only 7k on the clock. Not covered by warranty - dealer citing 'wear and tear', 'driving style' etc as the most likely cause. Yet, I have never had to replace a clutch in any car I have owned and this is my 10th car. Also, my 'driving style' and patterns have not changed in this period.

Wrote to Hyundai who also cited 'wear and tear' and were of no help whatsoever and dismissed the claim, despite previous motor press documented cases of problems with the clutch in both the i10 and i20 models.

Is this the end of the matter or has anyone pursued a similar claim re a 'wear and tear' component and had a favourable outcome?

Comments

• centretap
    centretap Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Wear and tear at 7k :eek: I'd be suggesting 'not fit for purpose'.
  • Jamie1981
    Options
    A classic dealer "well sir it's a wear and tear item so not covered as it's the way you drive it" speech. Unless you have an extremely poor driving style then no way should a clutch fail after 7k.

What I would do is write another letter to the main dealer and Hyundai head office. This time trawl as much of the internet as possible to find all reviews that document issues with the clutch. Make reference to these in your letter. Honest John has something like "clutch problems unusually common" on it's review.

You might not get much further but it may be worth it as it can only waste an hour of your time and the cost of a stamp if they still wont consider your request.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like nonsense from the dealer and Hyundai (and makes me glad that I decided not to buy an i20 when they were selling them cheap last year) but just to make sure there are a couple of questions that we should ask.

1) How old is the car?
    2) Did you buy it new with 0 miles on the clock?
    3) What sort of journeys do you do - is it all short ones or does the mileage regularly include longer journeys?
  • UncleZen
    UncleZen Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It might also be worth referring to the money saving mantra SAD FART:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange
    in particular the ART part
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What exactly is the problem. Is it slipping, gear selection problems, dragging, etc.
  • tightasaduck's
    Options
    It's a Hyunda i20 - late 2010. I have owned and driven it from new. Mostly in town, shortish journeys with the odd longer run. The clutch basically burned out (it was slipping and I took the car back to the main dealer who diagnosed it as 'knackered') and had to be replaced at a cost of just under £500. :eek:

Both the main dealer and Hyundai are citing 'wear and tear' and are refusing to budge on this. There was no attempt to offer any sort goodwill gesture to retain my custom.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's mainly short journeys then wear and tear is likely to be greater than on a car that does mainly motorway journeys, but unless you are exceptionally hard on the clutch I find it difficult to believe it can be that bad through normal use in the time and mileage. You may need to get an independent assessment, maybe AA or RAC could do it, and if that finds it's a manufacturing fault then you'll have more ammunition to back you up. If they still won't budge then you may need to threaten, and if necessary take, court action. If it gets to that stage come back here to get more help on the process.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From Honest Johns Website;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar...8/?section=bad

15-8-2011: Clutch failure unusually common.

21-12-2-11: Complaint that 2011 facelift automatics makes a pronounced resonance / booming / droning noise between 3,200 rpm and 3,600 rpm in any gear. 3,250 rpm equates to a true, GPS 72 mph. Other brand new automatics at the dealer do it and a Hyundai UK Technical man at Head Office has noted it on his. Pre facelifted i10s do not do it. The General manager of my Bristol Street Motors branch (who has heard the noise) is asking Hyundai to get Hyundai's Technical Field Engineer to investigate.

1-1-2012: Another report of clutch failure, this one at 25,000 miles and 18 months old.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hard to see that those reports have anything to do with the OPs problem, given that they are for a different model (i10 rather than i20) and the OP has given no indication that the car is an automatic. It might be an indication of Hyunda production quality but then again it might not.
  • sootytorques
    Options
    Do you ride the clutch ?, slightly off topic, I have an i30 which has suffered more than its fair share of problems, hyundai UK could not have cared less, just like my dearer who actively does there best to aviod warranty work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure