Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    • 7,158Posts
    • 34,766Thanks
    brizzledfw
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??!
    • 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??! 5th Jan 12 at 3:32 PM
    Hello

I have decided to start a diary. Have lurked on here since early 2009, subscribed to loads of threads, loved all the camaraderie and found it very useful for getting shot of debt, starting savings and all that kind of good stuff but then have slipped and skidded into more debt, especially as I left a FT job this spring and yet seem to be still living as if I was FT and not PT...loving feeling more human though and seeing more of the kids but financially it's not great. I need to welcome and appreciate living a much more frugal life.

HOWEVER..even writing that seems bonkers as for a household we are well off with an embarrassingly high income of about 90k gross. But clearly as the newly updated signature shows there is no hiding that we (OH, me and 2 DDs) are living beyond our means, failing to prioritise the right things and generally need to rectify all this otherwise, well no otherwise, it simply can't continue. All the savings and OP pot will go and I won't be able to rob Peter to pay Paul anymore which is what I think I have been doing.. Not sure ( which is also embarrassing ) but must have been plus then started to use the 0% credit cards again which can be a slippery slope if not used properly.

I am going away now to do some more on why I have got myself into this mess, ensure I am clear there is no going back and also what my goals are. Hoping this will help me focus and as you guys ( hope you're reading are such a supportive bunch on here I am hoping you will also help me! But even if no one reads, I think I need the discipline of sticking to a programme..I can't afford to slip again. This needs to be a new permanent way of life. Currently we try and do all the things that make us feel good about ourselves, the world, the environment, our family..but perhaps we can't do it all and need to make choices? I guess everyone must but we have just not had to as yet.

So a few things to do. Sorry for rambling first post but I needed to take the first step!! Which also reminds me must check out the 'what DFW things have you done today' thread..that used to be magic. Used to love doing that 'stock take' every day

Onwards and upwards

Cheers

Brizzle
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
Page 222
    • greent
    • By greent 22nd Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    • 6,505 Posts
    • 65,656 Thanks
    greent

I am taking the time to breathe...life is good.
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Lovely to read this xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 1st Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 7,158 Posts
    • 34,766 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Thanks all, blimey I have been MIA..sorry. RL is full on, too full on. I am now about to collapse in a heap and thank goodness that I don’t need to go out again. Have a cold and feel shattered. Think a hot bath and a glass of wine may be in order. In that order or in parallel...

Hope everyone is doing well. It’s a stressful time money wise isnt it? Balancing expectations of time, money, gifting etc...and the year end suddenly meaning everything I have put off at work suddenly needs completing. I also don’t like the dark cold nights, makes me feel cold inside and stops me running. I am also carrying a lot of paperwork to and from work in a rucksack and it gives me hip strain which stops me running...I need to change this I think as I am hoping to take part in a race in the Spring and at this rate it just won’t happen as I won’t have put in the miles.

YNAB is looking a mess. Lots of red. But probably salvageable...must take a look over the weekend. Paying in advance for holiday stuff hasn’t helped at all..but very keen not to just put it on a card... right behaviours....just trying to wrestle with the consequences!!!

Some nice things sorted for the weekend. Will try and read diaries this evening and also keep in touch a bit more.

Lots of hugs

Brizzle x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 1st Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    • 4,427 Posts
    • 13,811 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Enjoy your glass of wine and I hope you feel better soon.
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."

Debt free and saving for my future
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 1st Dec 17, 8:23 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 28,099 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Good to hear from you. Lots of bugs going round at the moment, hope you feel better soon x
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 2nd Dec 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 6,589 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Yes hope you’re recovering brizzle. This time of year is always a bit mad and fraught - everything should be back to normal in a few weeks!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Dec 17, 5:54 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,859 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you are on the mend really soon.
    Take care xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Dec 17, 6:58 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 12,972 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hey Brizzle how you doing? assuming RL is just as crazy and busy getting ready for being away. Hope you're getting some time to enjoy stuff and things. Make sure you are taking care of your self (particularly carrying large amounts of paperwork around in snow and ice)

I'm not running either and I don't like it, must get back on the horse.

Purps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,089Posts Today

6,592Users online

Martin's Twitter