Buying a little piece of Middle England.

Options
Hi there, 
today I reactivated my account with MSE. Hoping to get some motivation to pay off our mortgage a little quicker.
Little bit of back story- So I had a diary in the debt free wannabe forum many years ago. I paid said debt off, saved up money to purchase a house :) and moved. Since then (2015) I have divorced, been left with more debt, paid debt that off, found my soul mate, got engaged  <3 and we have since purchased a new home together with the proceeds from my first home.
My new mortgage stands at £99,224.15 as of today. We pay £515 per month, interest rate is 2.49% and we have around 3.5 years left at that rate. I can pay just under 10k off as overpayment per year without penalty. I am 44 soon to be 45, partner is 47. Our mortgage has 20 years left, I don't want to be having to work to pay a mortgage when I am 65 and he 67! So here I am...

We have a little bit of debt running alongside this mortgage. No credit cards and no overdrafts that we are always in (unlike my other diary) but we have some 0% loans.
When we bought this house I had 30k in savings, we have spent all of it doing this house up and had to put carpets on 0%. Then we had teeth issues and now have a dentist loan because NHS dentists don't seem to exist around these parts for adults  :|
My partner has both of these in his name so I'm unsure how much is left exactly, I will get those figures, but I know that the teeth is less than a thousand now and the carpet is around 3k. 
I have two dependents at home, very expensive teenagers. I recall moaning a lot about expenses of young kids in my other diary. I take it all back... One child has moved out since my first diary, he is 25 now and I have a 14 & 15 year old. 
My partner works full time, I work part-time. We both try to make money on the side to pay for extras.
We have a few jobs left to do in the house still but they can now be done as and when, they aren't important things like no bathroom and no functioning bedroom (we were on the living room floor for months) so all in all I think it's time to focus on paying down some of the mortgage so we can be less reliant on our incomes every month. At the moment we live pay cheque to pay cheque. I used to be so organised with savings accounts for everything, money saved up for yearly expenses and foresee things coming. At the moment I feel so disorganised as we have focused solely on doing the house up the last year and half and the money seems to have drained through our fingers!

Our income as it stands is approx £2700 and our outgoings minus food is approx £1420. These are approx because the income changes month to month and the outgoing changes month to month (usually because of gas and electric).

Savings- in my other diary I complained a lot about a house I bought at the height of the housing market ....which then crashed and I couldn't get rid of the house for love & definitely not money. It took 15 years for the house to be out of negative equity and I finally last October had a nudge from the universe to see how much the house might be worth. I got an estate agent round and it was finally over what i paid for it. I got in touch with the rental agents and by a stroke of luck they had an interested party who wanted a house on that estate with the tenant in place! It sold and I came away with approx £25k. We used 5k on the house (it is actually part of the 30k I spoke about before) and I have put 20k into an ISA where I try, for the most part to forget about it until it's maturity. I do not have a pension and that house was always supposed to be my pension. I have perhaps £3.41 in my official emergency fund, oops.

So far this year I have already started on a money saving path by buying an electric monitor that tells me how much I am spending on everything. This has already led to us selling the dishwasher, buying a filter tap so I can switch the distiller off, cutting down on doing half washes of clothes (such a naughty habit I had gotten into oops) and cutting down on tumble drier usage and selling an oil radiator in the outside office. We have also put a timer on the fish pond pump as it was going all day long, 24/7 :s I was gobsmacked at how much some of these cost. 

Grateful to be starting a new year though with the house mostly done so I can focus finally on the numbers and perhaps see some savings in bills and in my account- finally! 

DFW321  <3:)
MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF Goal 2- £244.12/300 (EF total £1744.12)~ NSD 0/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £133.59 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £

Comments

• debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    Today I was hoping for a NSD but DP has gone to pick up some bits he bought on FB (to recondition and sell on). The money has come out of a jar of cash that we had accrued from selling things so technically not from the budget. So all good I suppose. Although the pot was completely emptied out  :disappointed: I'm waiting in for a man to come and collect a mirror I'm selling, and I've already sold an old TV this morning so our depleted pot should be looking a bit healthier by the end of the day.

I have been holding off on doing laundry all week for today so I can save some money on the washing machine and tumble drier. And I realise now that I probably should have been doing this all along :# . I only have two washes to do  B) I usually put one on each day, so they were probably only half washes each time. Oops. My DS is not here though he is with his dad for another week so we probably would have had another wash there and my DD has only been home a few days too. I will have to wait a few weeks to see if this new routine works or not. But even if I can half what I was doing it will help.

I'm cooking a veg curry later with all the sides, fake away rather than wasting money on a take out (and we don't have any good ones in this town so I would rather eat my own food anyway and save £50 doing so). If I can cook enough I will put the rest in the fridge for Monday's dinner. I am cooking a cottage pie tomorrow so will make double and use the rest for dinner on Tuesday if I can. 

I have decided to use the child benefit each week to pay for uniforms my kids need for Air cadets, so I started that already yesterday with one pair of shoes for one of them. And will continue to do this until it's all bought. Have been sourcing it all on eBay second hand anyway so hopefully won't be too expensive. 

I messaged the mortgage app asking how to overpay and I have the details for that. I can just log in and do it on my app it seems or set up a regular DD. I think I will try to do both from next month. I've rounded down my account every day this week and put the extra into the savings pot. This method was quite helpful in building up my emergency funds when I did this before. 

Not much else planned today, cooking, chilling and washing & ironing it seems. :) 
    MAY 2024 GOALS MFW #17 EF Goal 2- £244.12/300 (EF total £1744.12)~ NSD 0/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £133.59 / £500 ~ MOP- 0/50
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome back, and good luck with your plans.
  • debtfreewannabe321
    debtfreewannabe321 Posts: 7,154 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome back, and good luck with your plans.
    Thanks redo :) 
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    I'm waiting for washing to finish and DP to return home. 

Mirror was picked up. We have £55 in the savings pot again :) 

I actually feel lost at the moment. We have spent a year and a half solidly either working or doing DIY so now most DIY projects are done, I quite literally wander around the house wondering what to do with myself every time I have a day off :D I suppose it is a good problem to have. 

I have just been on the overpayment calculator. I put in how much I owe and our monthly payments and put in a figure of £250 as an overpayment to see what would happen. Pleasantly surprised and may speak to DP when home about adding that payment in with our monthly DD on pay day. 

"We've calculated that you repay around £520 per month. If you regularly overpay £250, we estimate that by the time you clear the mortgage...

Overpayment saving:
    (in interest alone)

£12,680
    Debt cleared:
    8 years and 2 months earlier
    Total repayment:
    £117,400"

That sounds much better than the current 21 years left (well 20.5 years left). And if I can make savings in the budget elsewhere to the tune of £250 we are not stretching ourselves either :) that would be £3000 of my target done already and any extra would be bonus. I can only pay 10% each year without a penalty anyway hence the £9,900 target. So i think although that may be a little high considering our incomes, the £3000 sounds very do-able.  B)
  • LadyWithAPlan
    LadyWithAPlan Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

"We've calculated that you repay around £520 per month. If you regularly overpay £250, we estimate that by the time you clear the mortgage...

Overpayment saving:
    (in interest alone)

£12,680
    Debt cleared:
    Total repayment:
    £117,400"

That sounds much better than the current 21 years left (well 20.5 years left). And if I can make savings in the budget elsewhere to the tune of £250 we are not stretching ourselves either :) that would be £3000 of my target done already and any extra would be bonus. I can only pay 10% each year without a penalty anyway hence the £9,900 target. So i think although that may be a little high considering our incomes, the £3000 sounds very do-able.  B)
    This is very exciting! how motivating! 8 years earlier is wonderful...
    look forward to your diary unfolding as you progress.
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hiya! Welcome back! I agree that overdrafts seem like they're very dangerous, my understanding is they're more expensive now than ever.

With regards to you overpaying the mortgage, could you consider doing a "must" and then a stretch goal? 
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,318 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options

Overpayment saving:
    (in interest alone)

£12,680
    Debt cleared:
    Total repayment:
    £117,400"

This is very exciting! how motivating! 8 years earlier is wonderful...
    look forward to your diary unfolding as you progress.
    Thank you! And welcome :D 
  • debtfreewannabe321
    edited 7 January at 7:31PM
    Options
     :p 
    Hiya! Welcome back! I agree that overdrafts seem like they're very dangerous, my understanding is they're more expensive now than ever.

With regards to you overpaying the mortgage, could you consider doing a "must" and then a stretch goal? 
    beanielou said:
    Happy shiny new diary  :)
    Hi to both of you! Again! I recognise both of you! :):smiley:
    Overdraft we have just been offered was something ludicrous like 35% ouch!

So DP came home yesterday and seemed equally as excited as I was about paying down the mortgage that quickly! Oh what a change from my old diaries on here where my ex used to spend as much as I would try to save and we'd argue over everything to do with money :s

So after playing around with the mortgage calculator :D  we have settled on an amount to overpay regularly from payday (25th). 

I am also getting back into MSE mode with banking. I used to have around 10 savings accounts all named for different things because I couldn't get my head around one account for all (I am not particularly great with numbers lol). I closed that account down after a fall out with HSBC  :D and I now have a Natwest basic account. DP has a Santander. So this morning has been spent opening DP a Natwest account, once he receives all the stuff in the post we will turn that into a joint account. That will be our bills account, and we can move all our standing orders, direct debits to that. Hopefully that will be up and running by my birthday end of Feb (that's my goal for that one).

DP gets paid his first bonus of the year end of Jan. I have the numbers of the amount owing on the 2 (0% interest) loans he has running.

Loan One is £125.79 per month, 7 payments remaining, £768.70 owing.
    Loan Two is £92.42 per month, 27 payments remaining, £2,495.34 owing.

With his bonus I intend to pay off the smaller loan in full so that we have an extra £125.79 back into the pot every month. That will go straight towards the overpayment.

I also want to back pay for January the overpayment we have decided on for the year as I didn't budget for it on payday (in fact I hadn't even decided to re-join MSE last pay day, that was a spur of the moment thing of let's make 2024 a let's get my sh17 together lol). I think we will start off with paying £300 or thereabouts (I will make my final decision on this before payday lol) every month on top of the mortgage. 

I made a delicious Rogan Josh veg curry yesterday and made enough for two days. I am making a mushroom and lentil cottage pie today, will make enough for two dinners there as well. Next week I aim on getting my shopping for less than £50 by stretching dinners into two. 

DP came home yesterday with a boot full of electrical goods to refurb (all broke to some degree) and sell on. It is kinda a hobby / hopeful bit of play money on the side. 

I have done overtime all week since being back at work so have 3 hours overtime next payday (all amounts to something eh). DD is going down to her dad's house next weekend for a funeral. Her and DS will both come back together the week after. I need to factor in petrol costs for these trips. I haven't included the car expenses on my initial budget because it is DPs company car so all car costs come out of his wages hence why his pay looks so low and varies so much- depending on how many private miles we do. We have debated getting the car allowance in cash and buying our own but he does a lot of miles and the car would need servicing regularly and we would have the MOT, insurance and any other costs to figure out. It seems easier to just have it deducted from his pay for now. I have use of it when he is not using it too.

I have been moving my electric monitor around the house and yesterday I tested the TV in the lounge (4p for four hours!) and the record player (2p for approx 2 hours) so they can both stay :grin: haha. I might test the iron too. If it costs too much does that mean I never have to iron again :wink:

Anyway, a NSD day today, I am cooking, ironing uniform for DD and myself, and DP and walking the dog. DP is fitting my new water filter for me, I am SO excited about that one, although he has just unboxed it and it is HUGE so will have to now rearrange all the stuff under the sink.  :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure