IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
was this a ghost ?
Closed Thread
Views: 20,853
# 1
motherofstudents
Old 19-12-2011, 7:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default was this a ghost ?

First, let me say that I am quite level headed and sceptical but something my sister in law has told me made me feel quite spooky. I'd be interested in opinions...what do you think it was ? My brother and sil bought their house last January after they were told about it by sil's mum. Her mum used to clean the house for the old lady who owned it and when it started to get to be a bit too much for her she moved into a residential care home. Anyway, one night last week my brother was working late, my niece was at her friend's house across the road so my sil decided to have a nice relaxing bath. She heard footsteps coming up the stairs and assumed it was her daughter. She was so convinced that she shouted out to her but got no answer. Then she heard my niece's bedroom door shut so got out of the bath and went to the bedroom. There was nobody there, nobody on the stairs, in fact nobody in the whole house. So she got dressed and went over the road to find her daughter with her friend and parents half way through watching a dvd. My sil is very forthright, assertive, works for the police and is not given to fantasizing in any way which makes it worse as I really believe she didn't make it up. The following day her mum arrived and told her that the old lady they bought the house from had died......the night before at 7.30pm, the exact time of the footsteps. Is it coincidence or what ??
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to motherofstudents For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
missmontana
Old 19-12-2011, 7:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Could be, maybe she was just coming home one last time
Be who you are, say what you feel, those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.
They say that talking to yourself is a sign of mental illness. So I talk to the cats instead.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to missmontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
jamespir
Old 19-12-2011, 8:01 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

oooh spoooky ... could have been or just wind

or your sister in law was so relaxed in the bath she slightly dozed off and dream
Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jamespir For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
jackieb
Old 19-12-2011, 8:05 PM

Could be. I used to be a sceptic until I had 2 experiences of my own, so I wouldn't think you were mad if you thought it was a ghost.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...47&postcount=2
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jackieb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Sambucus Nigra
Old 19-12-2011, 8:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I used to live in Edwin Starr's house, and my office/chill out room was the room he died in. I'd often hear who I thought was my OH coming home early, I'd shout to him to put the kettle on, and it was never him - the stairs were creaky and I'd be totally convinced that it was him and it never was.

If it was Edwin, he was a very chilled out ghost. No aminosity from him. Bless his cottons....
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sambucus Nigra For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
belfastgirl23
Old 19-12-2011, 8:27 PM

I had something very similar happen as well in a house i used to live in, I thought someone was in the house but it was someone friendly, not scary. I was able to time it pretty exactly because I thought DH had made it back early from a meeting and had somehow come in without me realising. When he wasn't there I felt mildly puzzled but didn't really think about it. A couple of days later one of the neighbours told me that the lady who lived in the house one owner before me had passed away at that time. I hadn't known her well but had been in contact with her a little through mutual friends. I think she just came by for a little visit on her way to wherever she was going.
Thinking about it
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to belfastgirl23 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
geri1965
Old 19-12-2011, 8:29 PM

Of course it wasn't a ghost, don't be so ridiculous.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to geri1965 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Person_one
Old 19-12-2011, 8:32 PM
PPR

It wasn't a ghost, because ghosts don't exist.

Also, imagine for a second that they did, if you'd just died and found yourself in spectral form, would you go straight to your old house, upstairs, randomly shut a door and then b*gg*r off again? Why would you bother?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Person_one For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
corbyboy
Old 19-12-2011, 8:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ghosts don't exist, so the answer is no.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to corbyboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Welshwoofs
Old 19-12-2011, 8:34 PM

There are no such things as ghosts, it's all a total load of tosh. What your sister probably heard was the natural creaking of boards and the door closing in a draught as doors are apt to do. Let's keep superstition where it belongs....back in the middle ages.
“Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
Dylan Moran
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Welshwoofs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
rachbc
Old 19-12-2011, 8:36 PM

No it wasn't a ghost
People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rachbc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
jamespir
Old 19-12-2011, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwoofs View Post
There are no such things as ghosts, it's all a total load of tosh. What your sister probably heard was the natural creaking of boards and the door closing in a draught as doors are apt to do. Let's keep superstition where it belongs....back in the middle ages.
my aunt swears she saw her husband just after he died he came to her to tell her she was gonna be alright and that she shouldnt worry

then there was a knock on the door to tell her husband had died

im unsure if ghost exist or not
Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jamespir For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
meritaten
Old 19-12-2011, 8:49 PM

Those who dont believe in ghosts will insist that they dont exist - until they have an experience of their own.
Those with open minds will listen and look for other causes before ruling them out.
Those who KNOW ghosts exist - will believe you, and will probably ALSO look for other causes before ruling them out!
believers are NOT gullible fools! They have either heard, seen or felt 'things' which had no rational explanation!
So unless there is a rational explanation hun - then yes it MAY have been a ghost!
There sure are a lot of laws in this country - but there aint much Justice!!!
(Dean Koontz - One Door Away From Heaven)
The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to meritaten For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Person_one
Old 19-12-2011, 8:55 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritaten View Post
Those who dont believe in ghosts will insist that they dont exist - until they have an experience of their own.
Those with open minds will listen and look for other causes before ruling them out.
Those who KNOW ghosts exist - will believe you, and will probably ALSO look for other causes before ruling them out!
believers are NOT gullible fools! They have either heard, seen or felt 'things' which had no rational explanation!
So unless there is a rational explanation hun - then yes it MAY have been a ghost!

A rational explanation like...a draught?

There isn't a single scrap of evidence to support the existence of ghosts.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Person_one For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
motherofstudents
Old 19-12-2011, 8:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a strong argument either way but with an open mind, I couldn't say ghosts exist or they don't. There are more things in heaven and earth......
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to motherofstudents For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Air Cooled 75
Old 19-12-2011, 8:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I don't think so, something to do with the laws of physics
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Air Cooled 75 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
corbyboy
Old 19-12-2011, 9:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person_one View Post
A rational explanation like...a draught?

There isn't a single scrap of evidence to support the existence of ghosts.
It is pointless trying to reason with people who believe in something irrational (that's not meant to be an insult by the way).

If a tiny little thing like a creaking staircase is enough to convince them that ghosts exist then you are never going to convince them otherwise.

After all, you can't prove a negative. It is literally impossible to prove that ghosts don't exist.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to corbyboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
raven83
Old 19-12-2011, 9:07 PM

wow so man skeptics about, that is till they have an experience of their own. anyway op i can relate to that story kind of, when my dad died 9 years ago we was all at the hospital bar my oldest sister who couldnt come as she lived further away, my father had never been to her house due to not getting on with her husband and it was often a joke that my dad had never been to visit them in that house, anyway my dad died at 4.50 pm, when we rang to tell my sister that he had died and what time she said that strange things had happend in their house at the same time he died, first the front door open, a lamp started flashing even after taking out the batteries and a teaspoon flew off the worktop, and finally the back window slammed shut and it was over all with in about 20 mins after he had died, now it could be pure pure coincidence but i like to think that it was my dad visiting her as he had never been to her house and she wasnt there right at then end to say goodbye. i dont believe that once you die thats it because i think when you die you are infact more alive than ever in someways. i would have an open mind about it and think that the lady was coming to her home one last time before going off to wherever she was going x
Raven.

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Nearly 7 stone lost since September 2012!!!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to raven83 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
mouseymousey99
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hope your sil isn't frightened, my dad always used to say the dead can't hurt you, but the living can!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mouseymousey99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Person_one
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven83 View Post
wow so man skeptics about, that is till they have an experience of their own.

I've heard doors close plenty of times.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Person_one For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread