Race Passion Van Conversions Llanelli Wales

Options
johngbowman
johngbowman Posts: 32 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 31 July 2011 at 4:29PM in Consumer rights
My name is John and I'm having problems with Race Passion and Mr Paul Lloyd.
I have Seen the problem on this forum that Liz Morton is having with a van that she had built by this company.
My problem is that my van hasn't been built, so Ive started a new thread.
Liz was treated exactly the same as me not getting her van built in the time stated and got hers 9 weeks late on a 2 week build.

I sent a £500 booking fee to guarantee a build date of January 2011. Then £10000 to buy a van and deposit on a conversion which was going to cost £22000.This was November 2010.
Mr Lloyd told me he was going to build my van begining December 2010 and finish it before Christmas.This was going to cause me problems but said ok sooner the better. It didn't happen and he came up with a load of excuses why. He said "revert back to original build" ie January2011.
From when he told me Dec build he was impossible to talk to wouldn't answer his mobile wouldn't answer emails and the non existant sales team "he quotes he has on his web site" to contact are a figment of his imagination.
On the 5th January 2011 we finaly agreed a price and build design and he said the build would start the next week. I found out 2 weeks later he was not building my van untill Feb 2011.
We had a heated arguement on the phone and I said I wanted my money back. He refused to give me a full refund. I sent him an email with the terms that he had to agree to for the build to continue in Feb 2011. He would not confirm agreement to my terms in writing so another heated arguement. Finaly he agreed to build a race van sell it and give me a full refund of £10500, this i have in writing ie email of the 25th January2011.
To date as far as I know this build has not taken place and the van is not for sale. He has not replied to two recorded letters and asking him to put in writing what he is prepared to do to resolve this matter.
I know of four other customers who have had the same problems as me besides liz. Seems to be the way this man does business and it shouldn't be allowed to carry on.

Comments

• George_Michael
    Options
    How did you pay the money?.
    If some or all of it was with a credit card, then you could consider contacting your card issuer and informing them of the problem.
    Tell them that the conversion company has failed to honour the contract and that you wish to make a "section 75" claim.
    (you will find lots of info if you do a "google" for section 75 of the consumer credit act)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How did you pay the money?.
    If some or all of it was with a credit card, then you could consider contacting your card issuer and informing them of the problem.
    Tell them that the conversion company has failed to honour the contract and that you wish to make a "section 75" claim.
    (you will find lots of info if you do a "google" for section 75 of the consumer credit act)

Or...

See the ReadMe sticky at the top of the Board Listing...

Or...

See the MSE Article which is in a nice big link right at the top of the page.

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • lmorton
    lmorton Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    He refused to take a cheque, bankers draft, credit card payment from us, insisted on cleared funds direct into his account or go home, sitting in Wales at 5pm after waiting on the van all day as it was up on ramps allegedly to fix a tyre since 8am and having to drive all the way back to the NE of Scotland there was little choice.

We hope you did not do a direct transfer but understand if you did, like us you trust people.
  • johngbowman
    Options
    Race Passion only accept money via BACS or by Check and thats the way I paid unfortunately.
  • johngbowman
    johngbowman Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 July 2011 at 4:30PM
    Options
    I was told when I picked the van up It would only be released if funds had cleared through his bank.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Looks like a right shoddy outfit. Notice how the same van features as at least 4 others in the photo gallery.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    So let's get it clear - you have sent £10500 and have nothing to show for it. Forget all the other crap about him building and selling a van blah blah - you simply sue for £10500 + costs via https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk - it costs £210 for this amount, which is added to the other side's debt.

For the sake of good form, write, registered, stating the dates and facts as you have above, no emotion, just a clear chronological list of dates, and amounts. Give him 14 days to repay before you start court proceedings. Title it "letter before action", and let the courts judge for you. If he still doesn't pay, the court can instruct bailiffs to collect goods to that value for you, if he is smart he'll pay up sooner rather than adding on all the fees that will come with court action.
  • Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    This is a pretty common fraud......same as horseboxes.

Don't be surprised if the van he is doing for you is also the same van he is showing other people and taking £10k off each of ythem as well.

Bloke in the north-east [Darlington iirc] took about £300k using this.

I think the reason campers and horseboxes are popular for this scam is that the buyers are usually cash rich and the bespoke nature lets the scammer string lots of people along for many months.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • Culex
    Culex Posts: 776 Forumite
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    So let's get it clear - you have sent £10500 and have nothing to show for it. Forget all the other crap about him building and selling a van blah blah - you simply sue for £10500 + costs via https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk - it costs £210 for this amount, which is added to the other side's debt.

For the sake of good form, write, registered, stating the dates and facts as you have above, no emotion, just a clear chronological list of dates, and amounts. Give him 14 days to repay before you start court proceedings. Title it "letter before action", and let the courts judge for you. If he still doesn't pay, the court can instruct bailiffs to collect goods to that value for you, if he is smart he'll pay up sooner rather than adding on all the fees that will come with court action.
    As he seems to be running a limited company, a Statutory Demand followed (if needs be) a Winding Up petition may be more appropriate.
  • johngbowman
    Options
    Race Passion is not a Limited Company and he has had a Letter Before Action and the 14 days ran out Good Friday ie. I have proof of delivery.
    I know I have to take action against Mr Paul Lloyd but have put this on here, to give anyone who looks and was thinking of using Race Passion to build a van conversion the chance to think twice. THEY HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure