Selling Books on Green Metropolis Discussion (Merged)

Options

Comments

• jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pinkgem wrote:
    I am in the middle of listing my first book on GM, it doesn't have an ISBN so I am entering details manually, it asks for date of publication, does this mean the date it was first published or when my revised copy was published?

I have a new book that, according to one of the first few pages, was first published in uk in 1954, in usa in 1958 and has been reprinted with revisions in 1963, 1969, 1977, 1987 and 1989. The book I have seems a lot more recent than that, only a couple of years old. So what do I put for the publication date?

It's asking for the date that your particular copy was published. That would usually be the latest year listed.
  • pinkgem
    pinkgem Posts: 3,299 Forumite
    Options
    jo_b wrote:
    It's asking for the date that your particular copy was published. That would usually be the latest year listed.

the last date mentioned in the front is 1989 but the book only looks like its a couple of years old :confused:

edit: amazon have 1998 as the date for the copy of my book with the same cover so i guess it'll be ok to put that?
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pinkgem wrote:
    the last date mentioned in the front is 1989 but the book only looks like its a couple of years old :confused:

edit: amazon have 1998 as the date for the copy of my book with the same cover so i guess it'll be ok to put that?

I suppose if the cover is identical and the book looks about that old, it is probably that edition. I don't know why the year isn't mentioned in the copy you have, though. :confused: Very strange.
  • pinkgem
    pinkgem Posts: 3,299 Forumite
    Options
    i have another question, the first book I added was quite a thick and heavy paperback so I added extra postage, the 2nd book I am trying to list is also a thick heavy paperback but it is not giving me the option to add extra postage for that one like it did for the first one. any ideas?
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a book like that too where there was no appropriate postage option so I emailed GM and explained - told them the weight and how many pages. They emailed back the next day and added the correct postage option to the listing. They seem very helpful any time I've had to contact them - worth a try. AND bonus is you don't get an automated reply its a real person :rotfl:
  • gmc_3
    gmc_3 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how successful they are on Greenmetropolis? ie books listed vs volume of sales. I've just listed a bunch of fairly common paperbacks, am I going to have to wait a year or so before these get to the front of the queue?
    Thanks
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    On the one occasion I bought on GM, I remember being able to select a book between two copies, maybe more - they were different condition.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    Options
    soolin wrote:
    I'm going through my greenmet listings and I was wondering if they have changed the way they display the books?

I was going through the 'find a book' tab and it shows just one seller, but with an indication that there are 5+ more copies but it will only let you see the next copy. I can't see any way of seeing all copies, but I don't remember it always being that way, or am I imagining things?

If they do only display 2 copies then it doesn't seem worth listing books where there are many copies as no one will ever get to see your copy.

Soo

Hi Soo

I've been listing on GM since June 06, and have only ever been able to see the first 2 copies. The good thing about this is that eventually you will get a turn at being no 1 or no 2.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    I've listed around 50 books and they are gradually getting to the top of the lists as I've sold around 7 now, I found 2 on the wish list that I had on Amazon (at a lower price) and moved them over, they sold within hours.

I suppose you could argue that the popular books will be there in the hundreds but maybe they sell in the hundreds too
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    Options
    gmc wrote:
    Can anyone tell me how successful they are on Greenmetropolis? ie books listed vs volume of sales. I've just listed a bunch of fairly common paperbacks, am I going to have to wait a year or so before these get to the front of the queue?
    Thanks

I started listing in June 06 and have made the following sales:

June 06 = 1
    July 06 = 1
    Aug 06 = 4
    Sep 06 = 5
    Oct 06 = 8
    Nov 06 = 6
    Dec 06 = 6
    Jan 07 = 5
    Feb 07 = 7

I'm not sure how many books I've got listed, approx 250?? But I've been listing them gradually and only from time to time, so difficult to estimate volume listed to sales made.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure