Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• delvey
    delvey Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Centipede.

I wrote to Thomson 24 Oct 2012, claiming 400 euros per passenger. I also sent copies of the holiday guide booklet they send you which confirms all the flight times etc, my boarding pass and also light refreshment voucher that we were issued with showing the date and flight number etc.

Have received a standard 'we're looking into it' letter.

I have been following this thread and it doesn't appear that Thomson have settled any claims yet. I will continue to monitor.

Thanks once again.

Still waiting for a response too, had a standard acknowledgement letter as well
  • spaceaarvark
    Options
    Mark2spark wrote: »
    IMO always send by recorded delivery. I know others say that proof of posting is enough, but that's my tuppence worth.
    Resend IMO

Yes, I did send by recorded delivery - First Class, and it arrived four working days later (Well done, Royal Mail!).

So I know they have received the NBA - and I have saved a screenshot of the Proof of Delivery provided by Royal Mail. It is now 14 days since they took delivery, and still all I hear is silence. I am assuming that the fact that they are choosing to ignore me (and I provided address, telephone number and email) are going to count against them should we get into a court room.
  • Sandy_Beech
    Options
    This is there "third" get out response:-

""""""Dear Xxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your further correspondence regarding the difficulties you have encountered during your holiday to Cyprus.

I was very sorry to read that I have been unable to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction and I have taken the liberty of reviewing the information concerning your flight delay.

Unfortunately, having done so, there is nothing further I can add to my previous correspondence, where I have attempted to address your concerns. Whilst I understand that you believe that the delay was not caused by extraordinary circumstances, I can confirm that the root cause of the delay could not have been foreseen.

It is regrettable that we have been unable to reach a conclusion on which we can both agree. However, based on the information I have available, I do not feel compensation is appropriate in this case.

I trust I have clarified our position, and I am sorry we have been unable to amicably resolve this case for you.

Yours sincerely
    xxxxxxx

!!!!!!!!!!!!'m
  • GoyoP84
    Options
    I would like to report my success story for a flight from Madrid to Manchester in April 2012. The plane landed just slightly over 3 hours late. I used the standard letter provided by this website with all the relevant fields changed. I copied and pasted this into the easyjet "contact us" section of their website. My complaint was immediately escalated by the person who received it, but the Escalations Department were quite slow, taking approximately 6 weeks to deal with it. Today, however, I have received confirmation that they are to refund me my €250 and should expect the money in my account shortly.

I didn´t even have to write a letter: all done by email.

Good luck, and I hope you all get your refunds!
  • jakntone
    Options
    Followig the reading of an article in October this year concerning the claiming of compensation for a cancelled Air Flight. I made a claim and then followed the advice given on this site by the many different people. The result was a cheque today,with the value of over 600 Euro's Many thanks to you all, persist with your claim and hopefully you will also succeed:T
  • Elisa42
    Options
    I would like some advice about my rights in the following circumstances:

In August, I booked and paid for a return flight to Penang, Malaysia for my daughter, age 17.
    The return flight is:
    Penang to HK Cathay Pacific Fri April 2013
    HK to Heathrow Cathay Pacific Fri
    Heathrow to Manchester BA Fri

I was informed on Monday that BA have now made a change to their scheduled flights and the return flight from Heathrow to Manchester has been cancelled. My daughter returns on the eve on a Friday and there is a BA shuttle to Manchester one hour after she arrives. She was booked on the shuttle which left 2 hours after she arrived and it is this flight that has now been cancelled and removed from the schedule.

This flight took me a lot of time to plan, find and book. My daughter works on Saturdays and Sundays and so we found a flight that left early Monday and arrived back on Friday. She cannot now get back home until the following day, Saturday, which means she will miss work.

The whole ticket is booked through Cathay Pacific, but it is BA who have cancelled the flight. I have contacted them and they have said that my daughter has to arrange and pay for her own accommodation on the Fri night and claim it back later. This is not good enough in my eyes and I would like to know what my rights are. If they have made the change, they should accept responsibility for all their passengers booked on that flight, and pay for and arrange the hotel before she goes on holiday.

The alternative option is that she catches the midnight flight (a later flight) back from HK and arrives early on the Saturday morning to catch a BA shuttle up to Manchester. However, Cathay Pacific have said that all their seats are booked for that flight. But don't they HAVE to get my daughter back home if a flight is cancelled? Again, I really need to know what my rights are.

Finally, this means my daughter will now lose a day's pay. My understanding is that under European Directive 216 / 2004 she is entitled to Euro 250 because her flight (of up to 1,500km) has been cancelled. Is this the case, that she is entitled to compensation?
    Or is that because the cancellation has happened more than 2 weeks before she flies, there is no compensation?

Thank you for your help. I am very dismayed by this upset caused by a cancelled flight, when I took care to book everything early and when I had the time!
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there a Virgin Atlantic flight from LHR-MAN that would suit Elisa42 ?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Sparks33
    Sparks33 Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 December 2012 at 10:53PM
    Options
    I have read here that some people have had success with Easyjet.

However, here is the latest response to my recent letter:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: Compensation claim for delayed flight
    Booking reference:

Thank you for your email dated 14/11/12

However, I am aware that judgement has been handed down in the current ECJ case (C-629/10) on October 23rd 2012, and I wish to proceed with my claim.

You state that the flight was delayed due to 'technical difficulties with the aircraft.

Since technical problems have been ruled by the ECJ to be unlikely to be held as a valid defence of extraordinary circumstances to a compensation claim, then should you be claiming any such defence I should be grateful if such details could be provided to me within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Should you neither settle my claim in full nor provide a full defence to my claim within the above timescale, I reserve the right to issue legal proceedings without giving you further notice in writing.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Yours sincerely

19th December 2012

Dear Mr Colin

Thank you for replying.

Having further investigated the matter, please note that easyJet has no liability to pay compensation for this flight pursuant to Article 5(1)(c) and Article 2(b) of Regulation (EC) No 261/2004.

In light of this fact I am unable to provide further details of the extraordinary circumstances. Should you required more information please direct your query to the CAA who might be able to provide more information.

Yours faithfully

Kevin-
    easyJet Customer Services

Any suggestions as to what to do next? Seems strange that others have had success especially as mine seemed like a clear-cut case of 10 hour delay due to 'technical difficulty' :-(
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sparks33, edit out all the identifying details from your post ASAP, they do read these forums.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Sparks33
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Sparks33, edit out all the identifying details from your post ASAP, they do read these forums.

Do you think it matters? Anyway, don't worry, I'd already changed the main details :-)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback