3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge!!

Options

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks Helen - the first page is perfect. Although it does look as though I've never reached my target :( but in reality I did and have a lovely new car to show for it ;)

After a conversation with my mechanic, it turns out my car doesn't have a timing belt (I'm sure they told me it did in the car sales place I bought it :think: ) so on the plus side, the savings won't be going down by a few hundred for that but he has recommended I have a service soon as this will stop the timing chain stretching and causing similar problems to a timing belt snapping. I'm happy with that ;)

Keep on keeping on

Dobbi :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hey Everyone.... :)

Yes, you guessed it, another Night Shift :D So I thought I would Update while I'm here....

I've had an Anxiety-Inducing Week....but I'm a bit better this Weekend....I don't know if I ever said but over the past couple of years or so, my Anxiety has reached very difficult proportions...you would think since I'm a Therapist that I can handle it better than most but I still have my difficult times....Those times I tend to eat or spend money....It's something that I'm still working on in my own Therapy....

I just wanted to say to those that experience Depression or Anxiety...It CAN be managed but you're NOT alone!!

Anyway....Like I said, doing better this Weekend....Still tired though but that's not a bad thing...at least I know I've been working and that keeps me motivated....

I'm hoping by the end of the Week I can start to think about putting some money away in my 3-6 Month Emergency Fund...I really want this to happen and I will try my best....I'm not perfect, I never have been but I do try my best.... :)

Here's to the Updates.... xXx :)

Dobbibill - I hope you get things sorted out with your Car....I've been tinkering with the First Page....Do me a favour and go and have a look and let me know if that is better...After all you DID reach your Target and I have no right (or desires) to take that away from you....*Big Hugs*... xXx :)
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Aw thank you Helen - the first page is fab...whenever I do updates I will be sure to list them as Pot 2 & Pot 3.

I do hope you are taking care of your own health while you do therapy for others and find those things that help manage it better and avoid the triggers.

We all come back to this thread to support each other and that includes you too Helen - we all have faith that you will get a little something into your EF soon. Maybe baby steps would help you achieve it or doing things like saving £2 coins only (if you use or get paid cash frequently). You will get there....aim small first, £5 a week or £10 a month.....baby steps ;)

Keep on keeping on

Dobbi :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm all moved in and re-connected to the internet. I felt like my right arm was cut off. You don't realise how much you depend on it until it's not there!
    I've managed to squirrel away another £100 into my EF in my absence. Total is now £900/£5050.
    I should be recieving my flat deposit back next week. £500 of it is ear-marked for a repayment to mum, but I should be able to tuck another £100 away from it.

Once I've reached the first £1000 I'm going to try and save a chunk to go back to mum before I continue with my EF.
    I could give the £1000 EF to mum, but that would leave me with nothing, and now we have to fork out ourselves for any repairs, broken boilers e.g, I'd rather keep it aside just in case.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Working out my 3-6 fund amount. (got about £4500 towards it) Obviously it is for if you don't have income for 3 to 6 months. Do folk take into account benefits they would receive if they lost their jobs in calculating how much is needed? Obviously the amount would be different if you did. I am aware that there are savings limits before which you start to get less.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • x_raphael_xx
    Options
    datlex wrote: »
    Working out my 3-6 fund amount. (got about £4500 towards it) Obviously it is for if you don't have income for 3 to 6 months. Do folk take into account benefits they would receive if they lost their jobs in calculating how much is needed? Obviously the amount would be different if you did. I am aware that there are savings limits before which you start to get less.

What I've done is just multiply my monthly bills by 6. It just gives me a total to aim for.
    I've no idea what the savings limits is for benefits, but I assume they wouldn't last too long anyway and then benefits would be re-adjusted to suit.

• skye_blue
    skye_blue Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi guys

Sorry for your loss CBC

Glad work and health are going in the right direction for you helen, long may it continue

Nothing to report money wise im waiting for my car to be mot'd then see whats left

ive upped my debt management plan this month by £100 i need to get shut of this so ive pushed myself with the payment

on the plus side my mortgage rate has been changed early and the rate has gone down (yeah) it was a terrible fix at 4.29% but now its 2.19% fixed for 2 years and get this £130 per month cheaper so hopefully next month should be less tight financially

i am on a interest only deal and trying to pay it down before the end of the term (7 years) and my retirement so a good boost there

keep well everyone
  • DreamerHelen
    Options
    Evening Everyone :)

Another Night Shift....I'm very very tired tonight....not sure why as I slept well last night....but I'm very much looking forward to my bed at around 3.45am.... :D

Nothing to Report moneywise...

Here's to the Updates... xXx :)

Dobbibill - I'm really glad that you like the First Page and yes, it would be appreciated if you could distinguish which goes where in your Updates....I'm doing okay and thank you so much for being so lovely to me....I really want to start putting money away into this Fund and I will....I'm hoping to start in the next 2 Weeks fingers crossed....I just have to wait to be paid first...I already collect £2 Coins but it's something to think about for sure as to how I would like to Save xXx :)

x_raphael_xx - I've Updated the First Page...You're doing AMAZING!! Keep on going.....It sounds like you have a good plan in place for the future....that's always good to see xXx :)

datlex - I think it's up to you how you set your Money and your Target...I did what x_raphael_xx did and just multiplied my monthly bills.....I couldn't find you on the Members List on the First Page...Would you like to join us? xXx :)

skye blue - You are doing just fine hun...just keep on going....and don't forget that every single penny counts... xXx :)
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Sorry life has been hectic. Funds up and Down. The emergency fund is now £120.36
    I haven’t been able to pay myself a wage for two weeks, so things are very tight.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • x_raphael_xx
    Options
    Flat deposit has hit my bank, I have paid £100 into my EF, total now £1000!!
    Also paid mum a nice £500 chunk. I now owe her £3200. I'd love to have gotten the total down to £2000 by xmas, but I don't think that's going to happen.
    Now I have a little back up saved I'm going to concentrate on getting rid of my debt to my mum. She's happy with £100 a month, but I hate owing money!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income