Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• themilkman23
    themilkman23 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Just tried to do it and gave the error:

'The following errors have occurred:
    You can only request Judgment by default if the required number of days have passed.'

I'll keep trying it every morning :)
  • rxbishop
    rxbishop Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if this has been posted before, but euclaim.co.uk are dealing with my refund. Me and gf were not allowed on our flight returning from faro to london because of a technical problem with the plan (I think they just overbooked) and were promised $400 each. loads of emails and they wouldn't give us the money. The observer mentioned euclaim and they seem to be going through the motions of asking for money and easyjet not paying up etc and ultimately I think they'll be taken to court and charged loads of fees etc. We'll see.

Disgusting though tbh that they blatantly lied to us with the promise of money. Disgusting company.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rxbishop wrote: »
    Disgusting though tbh that they blatantly lied to us with the promise of money. Disgusting company.

Please clarify who you are referring to.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • ClaireG_2
    ClaireG_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    On our return flight from the Maldives with Thomson, we were informed at check-in that there would be no Premium Cabin, as booked, due to an aircraft change.

Thomson have refunded the charge for this which i have no problems with.

However,I also asked them for refund of 75% of the ticket price under the EC Regulation 261/2004 Article10 (upgrading and downgrading).

They have sent a cheque for £130.50 ( ie £65.25 each) which seems far too low.

I appreciate that it's only 75% of the flight cost and that it was only the one way that was affected , however it was booked as a package totally almost £5000 total. Thomson were selling a flight only at approx £520 per person so even if i worked out the 75% on that, then halved it for just the affected portion, it would still be more than the £65.25 they have sent!!!

Even if i took off the tax and just used the base cost of the flight only ( appx £412 each), 75% of that, then halved it for the affected portion that would be more than they've sent!!

Thomson have just said that 'the offer of £130.50 is correct and is calculated under the guidelines set out by the Civil Aviation Authority. Should you wish to question the amount offered i can only suggest that you contact the CAA to discuss this with them in person"

I have contacted the CAA myself to clarify things with them, their email response is generic reply just says there is at least a 4 month delay for a reply!!!.
    Just wondered, in the meantime , if anyone has any advice they could give?

Have i missed something about the 75% and why the apparant refund is so low?

Thanks for any help or advice

Claire
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ClaireG wrote: »
    On our return flight from the Maldives with Thomson, we were informed at check-in that there would be no Premium Cabin, as booked, due to an aircraft change.

Thomson have refunded the charge for this which i have no problems with.

However,I also asked them for refund of 75% of the ticket price under the EC Regulation 261/2004 Article10 (upgrading and downgrading).

They have sent a cheque for £130.50 ( ie £65.25 each) which seems far too low.

I appreciate that it's only 75% of the flight cost and that it was only the one way that was affected , however it was booked as a package totally almost £5000 total. Thomson were selling a flight only at approx £520 per person so even if i worked out the 75% on that, then halved it for just the affected portion, it would still be more than the £65.25 they have sent!!!

Even if i took off the tax and just used the base cost of the flight only ( appx £412 each), 75% of that, then halved it for the affected portion that would be more than they've sent!!

Thomson have just said that 'the offer of £130.50 is correct and is calculated under the guidelines set out by the Civil Aviation Authority. Should you wish to question the amount offered i can only suggest that you contact the CAA to discuss this with them in person"

I have contacted the CAA myself to clarify things with them, their email response is generic reply just says there is at least a 4 month delay for a reply!!!.
    Just wondered, in the meantime , if anyone has any advice they could give?

Have i missed something about the 75% and why the apparant refund is so low?

Thanks for any help or advice

Claire

See if you can telephone the AUC (who handle this kind of thing on behalf of the CAA).

I do agree that the amount seems far too low, so perhaps this could be the subject of another complaint.
  • ClaireG_2
    ClaireG_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Voyager 2002.

I phoned the AUC ( took over a hour as they were constantly engaged!) and spoke to a lovely lady who said that they are in fact the same people as my CAA email enquiry went to, therefore they were the same people who sent me the email response of a 4 month wait!!
    She did confirm that they have all the details needed to investigate on my behalf when it 'gets to my turn' so just to wait and if there is anything amiss when it get around to it they'll do their best to put it right! She did say at first glance that she thought the amount given was low as well, but obviously she couldn't say for definate until it had been looked into further, when it's 'my turn'!

So, i just have to wait! Hopefully it won't be as long as 4 months!

Thanks again

Claire
  • darlo_2
    darlo_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I received an email 70 hours before my flight telling me flight was rescheduled by 8 hours, arriving in Iceland at 2335 rather than 1535.
    As we were only staying 3 days, arriving at the hotel in the early hours meant the trip was disrupted and I cancelled with full refund.

However, am I entitled to compensation under EC261/2004 ?

I read that flights rescheduled by more than 5 hours and less than 7 days before departure are classed as cancelled, but am unsure if it is correct.
    Flight number was not changed.

Icelandair told me I was only entitled to cancel with full refund.
  • Mathew
    Mathew Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Having instructed solicitors etc following 25 hour delay to Cancun in Jan I've had this response. Annoying, but I'm not all that surprised!

Thank you for your email.

I have obtained advice and we have been advised that claims that are relying upon the Sturgeon case should not be issued until the appeal has been concluded whisch is due to take place in 2012.

Therefore, unfortunately I will not be able to progress your claim at this moment and will be closing your file. However your file can be reopened once the Sturgeon appeal has been decided in 2012 and we should be able to pursue your claim if the decision reached in the appeal is favourable to us.

If you do have any queries or wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me.
  • themilkman23
    themilkman23 Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2011 at 10:26AM
    Options
    So I worked it out that BA have to file their defense imminently and yesterday afternoon had an email from BA stating that they had not completed their investigation and wanted an extension so as to give them enough time to explain BA's position and to negotiate with me.

Only just picked this up so have no had chance to speak to my wife but wondered what people on here thought?

If I do not agree to the extension could that be held against me?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have they applied to the court for the extension?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback