The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Options

Comments

• sophieo16
    sophieo16 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 August 2015 at 1:16PM
    Options
    #60 update- payday today so emergency fund added to, now i'm officially debt free all of my savings are going into my emergency fund to get it back up to £1000 before christmas.

Emergency fund total now £664.18
    Mortgage Feb 2023- £249,210 MFW 2023 #20: £524.05/£500 (104.81%)
  • Stereochild
    Options
    congrad Sophieo16!! :j :j

Your debt free!!!!! that is awesome!!!! :j :j
    :dance: :dance:
    Debt free 24/03/2015./ On Dave Ramsey's Baby Step 3./Full Emergency Fund 2500/6000./ Got mortgage on the 28/08/15./ 2015 MFW #117 1242.89/2000
  • sophieo16
    sophieo16 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 August 2015 at 7:54PM
    Options
    congrad Sophieo16!! :j :j

Your debt free!!!!! that is awesome!!!! :j :j
    :dance: :dance:

Thanks Stereochild, Today was the first day for well over a year that i got paid and all of it was mine, to do whatever i wanted with and not pay some debt off with. a great feeling!

Next is house saving!
    Mortgage Feb 2023- £249,210 MFW 2023 #20: £524.05/£500 (104.81%)
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Got paid today and the Tax refund cleared. Transfered £700 to the EF so can now state -

TARGET REACHED.

Now to to build it up to 3 months salary (should be a huge challenge).
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Stereochild
    Options
    Sweet as!... Patman99!!! :D
    :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
    What is your next goal??
    You going to do the full three to six month emergency fund? :eek:

Are ya, are ya, are ya???? :A
    Debt free 24/03/2015./ On Dave Ramsey's Baby Step 3./Full Emergency Fund 2500/6000./ Got mortgage on the 28/08/15./ 2015 MFW #117 1242.89/2000
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fantastic!!! well done Patman :T
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Patman, you're a legend:A

After all your trials and tribulations and not having jobs you've kept at it and been a real inspiration to us all. Very well done, long may your success continue:beer:
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I now need to keep going that's for sure. However, I do need to replace some bits and bobs (but will not need to touch the EF).

Today, I ordered a pair of reading glasses and a pair of varifocal glasses (as I only have 1 working eye, only 1 varifocal lens is needed with a balance lens in the non-working side). Cost me £260, but I did get £7.50 worth of Boots advantage points (and this is the first pair og glasses in 5 years, so cannot complain).

Next up, 2 new tyres for my car.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You've reminded me that I really need to have an eye test and buy some new glasses. It's just one expense after another but there's no point in stinting on something as important as eyesight. I do loads of reading and have been getting headaches lately so it's a no-brainer really.

I only need mine for reading and have been buying the cheapie ones from places like poundshops and markets for years now. When they stop being as effective after a few years I just move to the next strength up. Luckily, both my eyes seem to need the same strength so it's been a cheap solution. The cheap ones aren't as sturdy as proper glasses though, mine are always breaking:eek:. I did have an eye test about 20 years ago so I think it's high time I made an appointment for another. As they also test for what's going on behind the eye and can detect glaucoma etc it seems like a good idea, especially as tests are free for me at my age:j

Will have to dip into the EF for the cost of the glasses but I think it's a legitimate use of the money. I'll get onto it as soon as the Bank Holiday is over. Thanks for the reminder, patman:beer:
  • Blue_Bird
    Options
    Hi, I'm a bit late to the party but would like to post my Emergency Fund target of £1000 if that's ok? I currently have £100 as of this month, but future months will be slower.

Thank you :)

Blue
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport